Kid reviews for The Open House

The Open House Poster Image

holy. heck.

my friend and i were anticipating the big reveal of the killer as the redeeming factor of literally all the characters dying. NOPE. two hours you'll never get back honestly

It was a pretty good movie

It has lots of violence and some language but I enjoyed it.

Lol

It’s a really meh movie I guess it’s kinda good

i made a common sense media account just to rate this 1 star

i'm going to summarize the whole "plot" or lack thereof so you don't have to waste your time on this movie. i put the term plot in quotation marks due to the fact that i don't have a better word for that context but i would never under any circumstances wish to claim that this movie had any semblance of a plot. immediately the dad dies from - get this - a car accident in a parking lot. off to a great start i know. from there, naomi(logan's mom) and logan go to stay at naomi's sister's house. on the way up they almost crash into a man who came out of nowhere and then promptly disappeared. now i'm sure you're thinking "oh great that'll re-emerge later and be an important plot point." if that's what you're thinking you're wrong because it never came up again. at some point they meet a woman with dementia who at two separate times says that her husband is dead and that her husband wants to meet them. "oh good, this must be the monster, they're setting up a classic horror movie ghost scenario." wrong again, the husband never makes an appearance in the movie and the woman does nothing creepy other than acting vaguely confused while relatively intense music plays in the background. now at the beginning of the movie we establish that logan is a very good runner. he continues to run throughout the movie and it's repeatedly emphasized that he's a VERY GOOD runner and that he has a bright future ahead of him - he could even go to the olympics !! - this also manages to have absolutely no impact whatsoever on the plot. at one point, they have an open house, hence the title of the movie. logan vaguely mentions that someone could just end up staying from an open house and no one would really know, and that usually people don't know their realtors very well. this, coupled with the fact that the realtor makes a couple of sketchy appearances in the form of unnecessary and poorly done jump scares, makes it seem like they could be setting him up as the villain. unfortunately they're not - he's just also there to add an additional plot hole while impressively managing to not add a plot. blah blah blah creepy things happen inside the house blah blah blah. anyway. it becomes increasingly clear that someone else is inside the house(a surprise, i know) so they have the police search the house, and they find absolutely nothing. well there's this guy chris, i didn't introduce him earlier because he's almost entirely irrelevant except for this one particular scene. he's flirted with naomi a couple of times, at one point he asked to come in the house in a way that was mildly suspect, it's really feeling like maybe he could be the villain. it's feeling that way until he randomly ends up with a slit throat in his car outside the house and logan finds him that way. at this point i'm sure you're thinking "oh my god, another character that contributed nothing to the plot?? is that even legal??" if it is it shouldn't be because this movie was so bad at this point the killer hits logan in the head and pours cold water over him, before going in the house and just breaking all of naomi's fingers. now the lowkey misogynistic portrayal of naomi as a damsel in distress(that's a little strange because she's there with her son which leads me to have concerns about a potential oedipus complex but that's a whole different rant) is not actually the part of this movie that makes me want to bang my head against the wall the most, that would be the ending, but i'm getting ahead of myself. at some point logan comes to and his mother and the killer have magically migrated to the basement which has randomly gotten larger and also more cavelike. now of course this is the perfect moment for naomi to be completely silent instead of the wimpery mess she is and also be fully functional again instead of just lying on the ground calling for logan. unfortunately that leads logan to somehow stab naomi by mistake. this kid had a flashlight and was wearing his contacts i can't for the life of me figure out how that happened. he's horrified but he runs upstairs, chased by the killer, who pins him to the ground and REMOVES HIS CONTACT LENSES. at this point my thought was oh maybe the killer is somehow his dad? i was gearing up for the big killer reveal at the end and to my knowledge we didn't know the names of any other male characters in the movie, plus the contact lenses thing seemed oddly person and carefully planned, and it made sense to me that his dad would know he wears contacts. somehow a half blind logan escapes into the woods where he starts running. at one point he shelters behind a log and we see the woman with dementia walk by. she just walks by. there's nothing more to it and we never see her again. logan magically seems to have ended up in a completely different season or at the very least biome if we're being generous and there's just no snow anywhere. the killer catches up to him by a stream. he pleads for his life. everything goes silent. the camera pans to his dead body. there's a random shot of a truck driving on a road. the movie ends. so to summarize: some vaguely creepy things happen that aren’t really creepy but logan’s furrowing his eyebrows and there’s dramatic music so it’s supposed to seem creepy a random person killed naomi and logan there's absolutely no face reveal and that's only one of a massive amount of plot holes i apologize for any typos or grammatical errors but it's currently 2:46am and that movie viewing experience was frustrating to the point of motivating me to write this short essay imploring you to do anything with your life other than watch this movie. if i'm not scared by it at 2 in the morning it's not a good horror movie.

Confusing

The movie had a lot of potential and if written correctly could of been decent. However there were a lot of plot holes such as the old woman like who is she? they don't explain her purpose in the end like while the boy is running for his life she just appears?! The brief nudity was pointless. Also in the end they all died anyway but I had to search up the point. (i didnt know they were talking about the fact it was a serial killer)

Maybe it's not so terrible for some teens

Absolutely horrible - I was disappointed

Don’t even bother watching this movie. It was SUPER slow. And when I say slow, I mean we got through an hour of the movie and barley anything at all had happened. Stuff actually started happening only in the last 20 minutes. There was a little nudity, and a disturbing part when a lady is tied up and her fingers are broken one by one, very disturbing. But I shouldn’t bother putting an age suggestion because I don’t suggest anyone of any age should watch it. Totally wasted an hour and a half of my time.

Review on open house

Don't bother please. It's over violent with a bad ending.

DONT WATCH IT

Dont bother watching it. It's so boring, escalates too quickly, and an unsatisfying. I wish i never wasted my time watching it. -___-

Totally worthless!!!

This movie sucked!!!! From the beginning to the end. It just made no sense. The ending was horrible!! The directors clearly don’t know a thing about horror movies. I can’t believe that Dylan Minuette(the lead actor) chose to star in this!! Really sucked!! Please don’t watch this if you love horror movies. It will just be a waste of your time.