All parent member reviews for The Parent Trap (1961)

Parent Written byjustamomof2 April 17, 2011

The original is the best!

We like this better than the remake! Very funny, cute and keeps everyone engaged!
Adult Written byLowe's man February 11, 2016

a terrific ride

For all you've said about this movie's dated notions of the roles of men and women, there's also one way in which this movie was ahead of its time in its view of the roles of men and women. That is, Susan camped with her father, which was rather unusual for girls at the time. Viewers get the idea that Susan was a tomboy while Sharon was a "traditional" girl. This movie was also brave to tackle the subject of divorce, as back then that was enough all by itself to cause controversy. While this movie definitely has exciting moments, it all builds gradually. Think of the pace as like a roller coaster that goes up gradually before the big dip, as opposed to one that goes from 0 to 60 mph in 4 seconds like so many modern movies do. That's what makes this movie so good. And let's not forget the happy ending, where Sharon and Susan's parents get remarried to each other. Ideal. While that rarely happens in real life, I once had a neighbor who did just that- remarry her ex-husband. (I wonder if they were influenced by "The Parent Trap".)