All parent member reviews for The Princess and the Frog

Parent of a 2, 6, 7, and 14 year old Written bySavedMomof4Girls December 29, 2009

NOT FOR CHILDREN UNDER 12!

I was VERY disappointed! I would have NEVER brought my children! Black magic, shadowy ghosts, the villain squashing one of the bug characters with his boot killing him, caring a vile of blood around his neck.....This is a dark, inappropriate movie for children.
Adult Written byt7as0e3bf December 18, 2009

Don't like magic? Don't watch ANY Disney films.

For those who complained about the voodoo or "witchcraft", haven't you ever seen a Disney movie? There is always a sorcerer, witch or someone who does magic....it's funny that it is offensive to you now.
Parent Written bymikalulu March 17, 2011

Not for young children.

I liked the movie, but am very happy that I watched it without my 4 year old. She would have been terrified. I can safely say that I will not allow her to watch this until she is 8 (which, by the way is when I will let her watch Snow White) Some points that I did not like: First: the prince is a schlep, does nothing, isn't worth her wasting her time on ... he should have ended up with the spoiled girl. Second: there is far too much scary and violent stuff, like the shadows chasing them (did we really need to see them that much) and his deal making with those "from the other side" (skeleton face, big scary masks, explosions, chase scenes, etc.) ... also, wouldn't the scene with the frog hunters been equally funny if they hadn't beaten each other over hte head one hundred times? They could have easily just ran in to each other, tripped over things, etc. there was no need for the gratuitous violence. Third: why did they have to drink? Fourth: why did he have to step on the firefly so calously (looking down at it, almost enjoying it)? And why the overly dramatic death? Just because it is animated it does not justify a G rating. If this movie had not been animated it would have easily been rated R. I think PG or PG-13 would have certainly been more appropriate.
Adult Written byK3 December 12, 2009

I was so excited to take my neice & nephew to see this film. In fact, I also arranged to have a group of girls ages 5-12 (50 girls) attend from my church. After seeing this movie, I was appalled by the consistent impression of voodoo that this movie placed on the viewer. Practically every scene of this movie had an emphasis on this practice. The Villian (often referred to as shadow) tells characters their future, uses tarot cards, and even sanctions demons which come from under the floor (black floating images) to go out and assist with the destruction of the prince. This character is oftentimes seen talking to an image of a scary mask that to us symbolized the devil. For the prince to remain a frog, the other character kept a small voodoo mask that contained the prince's blood around his neck. Without this, he would turn back into himself. With it, he appeared to be the prince. For us, it was ridiculous how strong this content was throughout this movie for children. My 4 year old niece told me that she was scared that the shadow man would take her blood. My 5 year old was scared by the dark images and the music that moved throughout the scene. As devout Christians, I honestly felt that these scenes were very demonic and was saddened by the film due to this. I am not overly sensitive and can take my share of witches, spells, and potions, but this film pushed it way too close to the edge for me and my family. If you teach your children that voodoo, witchcraft, etc. are demonic forces and linked to Satan, then this is NOT the movie for them.
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byKJoyce December 12, 2009

Iffy for younger or more sensitive viewers

My husband and I took our 4 and 6 year old daughters to see this. The voodoo theme through out the movie was too intense for them at times but what disturbed me more was that one of the characters dies in the movie. I just didn't think it was something necessary to the plot of the story and one of my girls was almost in tears over it. If your children are sensitive, this movie may not be for them.
Parent of a 3, 3, 4, and 6 year old Written bySafeMom December 11, 2009

Voodoo is not entertainment.

I hate that voodoo is treated so lightly in this film, especially by the "good" guys. My kids won't be going near it-- at ANY age.
Adult Written bylodia December 14, 2009

Frog Princess, took my breathe away

BEWARE PARENTS! The voodoo theme was absolutely too overpowering, So many children in the theatre was scared half-way through the movie and several parents were considering leaving. The demon spirits from the darkside, peeling down from the walled masks who quickly went on search for the two frogs created paralyzing fear in the children. The shadow man was an evil character, who needed more of the prince frog's blood in a vial which was strung around the neck of the imposter prince, in order to give the imposter prince more time to enchant and pursue the marriage to young Charlotte, the hieress to a fortune. The evil shadow man was going to kill Charlotte's father with a pin pierced through the heart of a tiny doll made in the image of the rich business owner. The river journey through the bayou was terrifying for the children, however Ray (light bug) did a tremendous job in lightening up the thick and heavy drama at this point in the movie. Another light and humorous episode was the bayou trappers trying to catch the frogs. The voodoo theme was too overpowering, and I would suggest that parents be prepared to answer a lot of questions that I am certain parents were NOT prepared to discuss at this tender age with their young children. I anticipated a very light hearted, entertaining, high-morally based movie through and through....which this is not. It broadly depicts selfishness, greediness, death to those who stand in our way to wealth, deception....values that we certainly do not want to model for our impressionable young children. Parents will need to work hard to underscore positive values, and will be put to task to erase the balant negative character traits presented.
Parent of a 3 and 4 year old Written bymcconnell.ma July 22, 2010

Am not going to buy

I couldn't believe the amount of voodoo incorporated into the movie. I wish we hadn't taken our daughters to see it at the theater and we are not buying it. Any good that could have come from the example of Tiana's hard work was over shadowed by the scariness of the witch doctor. Seriously.
Parent Written bySinfoniarc August 4, 2010

Great Movie With An Evil Villain

Finally after 7 years since Brother Bear, Disney returns to the drawing board (pun intended) with a classic hand-drawn animation. The Princess and The Frog has some good messages to it. For example, Tiana is the first Disney princess to make it on her own without needing a man, illustrating to young girls that they don't need a man to be successful...just some hard work. She's also Disney's first African-American princess who wins the guy at the end of the movie as opposed to her Caucasian best friend, breaking down some racial barriers. The ONLY problem I have with this movie is the Shadow Man character. He's a pretty dark guy who's into Hoodoo (not to be confused with the pagan religion of Voodoo) magic. But the saving grace in having a villain like this is that it illustrates that magic does not reign over religion. Some of the concepts of the movie (like Hoodoo) will be over young children's heads, but Christian parents can use this opportunity to educate their children further as to why Jesus is the way and not magic. Having said all of that, the film is great, especially if you're watching it on Blu-Ray with surround sound.
Parent of a 1, 4, 8, and 10 year old Written bysweets_JME April 11, 2010

Scarey scenes, and voodoo emphasis, but a cute Disney movie nonetheless

I was surprised at the emphasis placed on voodoo, but it suites the area of the country focused on and reflects the culture of the cajun area. It was more than a bit scarey with the villian & the shadows and I wouldn't have let my 4 yr old watch it without me the first time if I'd known about the scarier parts. The movie was good as a whole and we enjoyed it as a family. Like always, Disney is plugging the merchandise all over and it's hard to avoid the fact that there's a new princess movie out.
Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written byTNmomof2 March 28, 2010
Adult Written byjpalin March 28, 2010

Tiana is wonderful role model who knows she will not be rescued by a prince. She knows she has to work for her dreams, and yet, in the end, to get them, she can't sacrafice love. I also loved seeing New Orleans spotlighted this way. The voodoo/shadow scenes were a bit scary, but no more so than other Disney bad guy scenes. The music and animation were wonderful. I love the return to the Disney movies I love - Little Mermaid, Lion King, etc.
Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written bykawilder March 22, 2010

Very good, non-traditional princess (or not) story!

I took 2 6 year old girls to this movie. They loved it. Great characters, great music, unique spin on the (if formulaic) story. Loved the fact that the heroine represented some of the diversity these girls see every day. The voodoo master was a little scary, but not so much that they wanted to leave. I do think it would be too much for younger children, though. All in all, a very good film.
Parent Written bytracipvy December 19, 2009

Read the reviews but take them lightly, my 4 year old loved it!

Saw this movie today with 3 girls, ages 3, 4, and 5. They loved it! We (the moms) loved it! GREAT music, GREAT story. I faithfully read the reviews on CommonSenseMedia.org, and was a little worried about the "scary parts" of this movie. My 4-year old daughter wasn't bothered by any of the scary parts. As we watched it I explained that Dr. Facilier was "mean" and using "bad magic" (black/voodoo magic). She accepted that as just what is was - the "bad guy" of the movie. Every (Disney) movie has the bad guy, and yes, I do believe Disney goes a little too far with the bad/evil characters....that's just Disney, and I knew to expect that. I do think Disney took it too far with Ray...was it necessary for Disney to allow such a cute character to be killed? As I watched the part when Louis brought Ray to Tiana and Naveen, I kept thinking, "Why? What's the point?" (Although I liked that he was finally able to join Evangeline.) The girls, at this point, somewhat lost interest and didn't even realize that he died. I really liked Tiana: her strong will and determination to work hard for what she wants. I loved her relationship with Charlotte - Disney could have made Charlotte mean, spiteful and jealous of Tiana, but made them close friends, who truly cared for each other!! True girlfriends, very refreshing!! The animation is beautiful, and the music WONDERFUL!! The setting of New Orleans adds so much richness and depth to the story. An awesome Disney Princess movie!!
Adult Written byMom of 2boys December 25, 2011

Disappointed.

The voodoo images and content were very scary for my 2 boys, ages 4 and 6. I can not believe this movie is rated G! I kept thinking the movie would get better, but I was disappointed that so much of the movie highlighted darkness (Voodoo). Now I know most Disney movies have good and evil...but this one left me wanting a lot less evil and a lot more good.
Parent Written byJillianSK1 April 27, 2011

Very dark! Very scary!

I hated this movie. There is so much voodoo in it. I would hate for a child to think that voodoo was cool. I pre-watched it for my pre-schoolers. There's no way that I'll ever let me kids watch this one. Which is really too bad, because I love the heroine. She's strong and doesn't need anyone to rescue her, etc.
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byjjohns79 December 16, 2010

OK for older kids

Some scary parts for younger kids. I would not recommend this movie for kids under 8. I really don't understand why Disney has to include death in every movie and make so many of them scary. Usually I would agree that despite this, most Disney movies are OK for younger kids to watch however NOT this one. It goes beyond the usual Disney scary and this movie feels evil to me.
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byashlotte November 19, 2010

Too scary!

I did not care for this movie at all and can not understand how it got by with a G rating. I had friends go to the theater with their girls (4 & 6) who were crying in the theater because it was so scary. We waited for the DVD and I really think it is WAY too scary, with black magic, voodoo, and other things I don't really think are appropriate for young children (spirits coming out of graves, etc). If you want something princessy, I'd skip it and stick with Cinderella.
Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written bylaribrook August 4, 2010

Not a good Disney movie at all!!

I just did not like this movie. My kids had already seen it without me, so i rented it to see what it was like. My two year old said, i don't like this movie mommy' and we turned it off (about after Tiana got turned into a Frog). Later we finished the rest, but i skipped 3-4 scenes. I felt like the characters, except for Tiana maybe, were all pretty shallow and the storyline was convoluted. It was very dark, didn't have much of a happy setting/mood throughout. I found it one of the worst Disney movies. While Aladdin or The Little Mermaid might have some scary moments/characters, their wonderful characters/role models and amazing happy part of the animation and comedy more than make up for it. This was lacking the true Disney charisma for me. I wish Tiana had gotten a better movie :( I wouldn't recommend this to anyone.
Parent of a 3, 6, and 12 year old Written byosukiddo July 4, 2010

Will not recommend to anyone.

Disney normally means great storyline, great songs & great animation. That was mostly true. Unfortunately, The Princess & The Frog also had way to much "evil" -- even for a Disney movie, where there's always a bad guy. Marketed to little children, yet full of voodoo, tarot cards and demons. Not what I want my kids seeing at any age. For us, the songs & love story were completely negated by the dark side of the story. Will not recommend to anyone.