Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for The Public

Inspiring story about homelessness has some mature content.

Based on 1 review

No reviews yetAdd your rating
Adult Written byLittleLune810 April 14, 2019

Solid social justice film

The appropriate age level for your children to watch this will depend on your personal values and how comfortable you are explaining/discussing tough social, economic, and behavioral issues to them. I saw this movie at a special screening sponsored by local non-profits and the local public library. I enjoyed the film, although there are some portrayals and tropes that could have been handled a bit differently. For example, the majority of the homeless people are played by people of color, and because of this there is a slight feeling of “white saviorism” to the film. On the other hand, I think a lot of the class issues were handled beautifully. The film does contain a lot of nudity, including scenes of a crowd of naked men shown from behind. There is a fair amount of swearing and talk of substance abuse. Throughout the film a few homeless people die of exposure (it is not shown graphically) and one man has a seizure. Some of the men physically fight. If you are open to teaching your children harsh truths about injustice, social class disparities, institutional racism and classism, and potential consequences of substance abuse then this is a good movie to consider. I think it handles many of these issues with compassion and empathy. While the themes and much of the content is serious, there is also quite a bit of humor in the film. I have an 8 year old son; we have age appropriate talks about the above issues. If we were to watch it together, I would need to take care to differentiate between the jokes and the seriousness of the subject matter. I could see myself pausing the film often to explain things or to make sure he understands why some of the jokes, while funny, also have very serious undertones. Because of this, I would probably wait a few years to watch with him or to take him to see a film like this in theaters. Emilio Estevez is a good director and actor. I also really enjoyed his movie The Way. I hope he continues to make more thoughtful films like these two.