All parent member reviews for The Purge

Parent Written byKarenDenny June 7, 2013

Creepy, but Nothing New

This movie is suitable for almost any teen. What parents should know is that there are sequences of extreme peril. Violence is strong in the opening scene, but only shown through security footage at a distance. Although a classic cat-and-mouse theme, The Purge brings a creepier element into the movie. Plenty of scenes might make audience members jump or squeal. Violence is a common factor in any thriller, nothing new or over the top. Teens should be okay for this movie.
Parent of a 14 and 17 year old Written byEleanorWilde June 7, 2013

Appropriate for 14+

I saw this movie just a few hours ago and absolutely loved it! I'm a fan of horror films but this is more of a thriller. I definitely think a mature 14 or maybe even 13 year old could see this movie. Both of my daughters loved this film and my youngest is 14. Yes, viewer discretion is advised, but if your child is mature and doesn't get too easily grossed out, they should be more than fine.
Parent Written byTaniaL January 18, 2014

Good, not great, worth watching in my opinion, but only once!

I was really afraid that this movie would be too disturbing and I would have to shut it off. (This was after seeing the very beginning news footages of a purge day) but after that, the movie toned down and takes place solely in the home of these people trying to stay alive.
Parent Written byMr.Scheawrsz June 21, 2013

NOT FOR KIDDDDDSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

NOT FOR KIIIIDDSSS TOOO MUCH SEX,VIOLENCE AND LAAAUNNGAGGGEEE
Educator Written byA_cheese September 26, 2013

The Purge

This was better than I thought it would be. With all the negative comments, I'm glad I ignored them and watched and I enjoyed it pretty much. This is more focused on what if we are in the situation and what would we do? I give this a focus on story and not on the graphics and comical story. I give this one a high rate of @@@@.5 for the story. Give this movie a go and please look on the story and not the graphics. Movie is supposed to be judge by its content not the cover anyway.
Adult Written bywonder dove August 12, 2013

Frightening.

I thought The Purge was a pretty good film. Very disturbing and frightening, especially if there really was a 12-hour purge in any country each year, how terrifying! The surveillance video before the actual purge takes place makes it very clear and feels real. I think we have enough violence going on as it is. This was scary because it was realistic and the acting was amazing. It's definitely up there on the horror charts for me. Ethan Hawk is awesome! Violence is very strong with gunshots, knives and stabbings, attacks and injuries, a woman's face is smashed into a table, deaths including a teen, an innocent man is tortured and tied to a chair, some attackers are in masks. Language is strong but not frequent from everything to the famous f-word to sh*t, b*tch, pen*s and more. Sexual content has a couple scenes of teens making out. Two of the female masked attackers kiss at one point with their masks on (like teasing). Overall, pretty good home-invasion type of story worth seeing! Gutsy 16+ viewers recommended.
Adult Written byRarityfan August 5, 2013

The Purge

It's long out in the future. A family is safe beyond their walls waiting for the night to fall where crime is legal. That night are a wounded man coming into the house where the family lives. With him follows a group of masked armed men. Not suitable for kids. Intense scenes of fighting, a creepy doll with a camera and some language. A portrait of a bleak future like the Robocob trilogy and Escape from New York.
Adult Written byjoshua martinez June 12, 2013

16 and up.

the purge is a average horror movie that is best left for your older teens and parents you need to know that the purge has a lot of intense violence and sometimes bloody such as various beatings, stabbings, and shootings and also in the beginning of the movie there are disturbing surveillance footage of people being killed in disturbing ways and dead bodies shown and the movie does have strong language used throughout the movie.
Adult Written bylip456456 July 23, 2014

the purge

when i watched it i wasn't scared at all. It's actually quite a good film.
Adult Written byJenn Smith-Frank May 29, 2014