All parent member reviews for The Royal Tenenbaums

Adult Written byhamstergurl09 August 11, 2012

Very Good, Slightly Overrated

Many people consider this to be Wes Anderson's best film, and while it is very good, I don't think it's his BEST. This has Wes Anderson's usual quirky style and deadpan delivery with dry and wry humor. The family is full of strange and colorful characters that are sure to draw in the interest of the film's audience. I thought it was strange that one subplot of the film is a romance between adopted siblings, because in real life that almost never happens due to the Westermarck Effect. I liked this film, but do think that it is a bit overrated.
Adult Written byBestPicture1996 January 7, 2015

Anderson's quirky take on family drama

Though Wes Anderon's filmmaking style may be predictably quirky and quiet, he does find a way to inject his certain type of hipster magic into each of his films, making them unique. I would dare say this is one of his heaviest works, with the themes of attempted suicide, pseudo-incest and death all present in his film. The characters are all fleshed out for the most part. It's really about the aftermath of an irresponsible father, and how his failures trickle down to his kid's, and how each of them deals with life after pop. Though I heard Gene Hackman was an absolute nightmare on set, his performance is sweet, bumbling and undeniable. His irresponsible patriarch was the funniest of them all. It evaluates what it means to be a family in its own weird little way. It extends beyond bloodline, race, friendship. It's thoroughly enjoyable, and a tame R except for an attempted suicide scene and a few random nude scenes.
Parent Written byImjustsaying December 10, 2011

Great movie with a great ending.

I love this movie. I even bought the dvd. I love the cast and all their quirky problems. The music is the best and I bought the soundtrack too.
Adult Written byhuskaroo October 15, 2011

Powerful.

Clever, funny and dark movie about not your average family.In other words - one f----d up household.