All parent member reviews for The Secret Garden

Parent Written byBoomct January 14, 2012

Wait just a minute . . . one scene that might be inappropriate!

Beautiful book which I enjoyed immensely. The movie is similarly beautiful, and the images are captivating. The change in the main characters from selfish and unpleasant to compassionate and happy is joyful to watch. But whilst the movie is fairly true to the book, there is one exception. (Spoliler alert!) Near the end, the children are casting a spell, chanting quite feverishly around a fire, so that the father might return home. This is the only thing in this movie which was disturbing for me, as a Christian parent. Furthermore, the 'spell' does in fact work, as the father has a sort of supernatural experience which makes him return home immediately. In the book, a similar thing occurs, but the spell is more of a prayer, with reference to a higher power and the song is sung of the popular doxology "Praise Him, from Whom all blessings flow". So, I would indeed let my children watch it, but would skip over the scene or at the very very least explain the book's version. But if this sort of thing doesn't bother you, press on!
Parent of a 4, 8, and 10 year old Written bybeatlemom July 29, 2009

A beautiful and charming family "must-see."

My kids (boy - 10, girls - 8 and 4) and I love this movie for its charm, beauty and humor. The only scenes that we had trouble with were: 1) The main character, Mary, is sometimes treated harshly by other children as well as by her uncle's housekeeper, and 2) Mary has suffered the loss of significant family members. Parents really just need to know how strongly their own kids will react to the misfortune of movie characters. Otherwise, there is absolutely nothing inappropriate here - this is a lovely film.
Adult Written bydclip September 26, 2009

Not appropriate for kids under 12!

My 6 year old saw it and had nightmares and trouble sleeping for 2 months!!! Be careful! Serious themes (life/death/illness/sadness) that kids under 12 cannot process.
Adult Written byBeckstar October 29, 2011

fine

This film is a 'tiny' bit scary I think. But I would let a 8 year old watch it
Adult Written bydanjakubik January 17, 2011

Perfect for anyone age 10+

My age 10+ recommendation is based on children understanding some of the serious themes presented in the film. There is absolutely nothing at all objectionable in this film, it's perfectly safe for children, age 10 and up. The story of the film is written from the perspective of a 10 year old girl. "The Secret Garden", 1993, is simply one of the most charming, heartwarming and beautiful films I've ever seen, of any genre. The story is set in early 20th century England and concerns the plight of a recently orphaned 10 year old girl named Mary, sent to live with her uncle in a rural castle. Mary was neglected by her parents and has become selfish and bitter. She discovers and befriends her unknown cousin of the same age living in the castle. The maturity, wisdom and intelligence of the story in "The Secret Garden", 1993, make it appropriate and enjoyable for a wide audience age range. I haven't read the original story it's based on. Like most adaptations, there are are some minor changes to the characters and story. These minor changes are all done with good taste. The film begins gloomy, tragic, sad and moves at a slow pace, with special moments throughout, eventually building to an impressive, heartfelt climax. For those with patience, you will definitely be rewarded intermittently throughout the film and especially at the end. This is an art film drama, not your typical "popcorn entertainment" Hollywood style film. It's a film best appreciated by sensitive, intelligent adults and children. It's simple story touches on mature, important and serious themes, such as life, death, healing, acceptance and friendship. The beautiful cinematography and music score are impressive and effectively contribute to the story telling of the film. Time lapse photography adds an effective touch to the nature aspect of the story. Children used to high tech visual effect filled, action packed movies might become a little bored by the film. Polish film director Agnieska Holland shows she has just the right touch (sensitivity) to tell this story very effectively, connecting meaningfully with children and adults. Highly recommended.
Adult Written bywonder dove November 5, 2012

Outstanding film!

A story beautifully told about a newly orphaned girl named Mary who lost her parents in India and is being sent to England to live with her wealthy uncle, who is never really there. She is mainly looked after by his strict housekeeper who forbids Mary to see or even meet her cousin, Colin. One night while hearing strange cries, Mary takes a walk and finds Colin, her cousin who is bed ridden. They meet and talk, Colin appears extremely spoiled and bossy, until learning about the secret garden. After Mary discovers a hidden key to the garden, she checks it out herself and decides to bring it back to life, with the help of Colin and her new friend, Dicken. Soon after, Colin learns to walk again and the magic from the garden starts to heal their pasts, including the uncle who later returns home to find them all playing in the garden. It has a few scary themes, Mary and Dicken flirt which makes Colin appear jealous. Very beautiful story with breath taking scenery! A perfect movie for kids and adults alike. It has some excellent messages and Mary is a wonderful role model because she is dedicated, smart and enthusiastic. It has a sad undertone which makes it all the better, not sure if young ones would be interested, but 8 and up seems fair.
Parent of a 5, 9, 11, and 14 year old Written byJamesRobertson January 4, 2009
Adult Written byAshnak April 9, 2008

Great Childhood Drama

Must see one non-cartoon version of this.