Kid reviews for The Secret Life of Pets

The Secret Life of Pets Poster Image

Adventure is clever and engaging, despite animals in peril.
1 person found this helpful.

Deeper than you think

Inspired by what all of us would have wondered at least once in our lives: "What do pets do when their owners leave the house?" While it is a children's movie, it covers diverse aspects of social issues related to animals including: -- animal hoarding, abandoning animals, animal testing, etc. would be better if there is parental guidance and further explanation of the issues depicted in the movie to make this experience more meaningful.

WHO LET THE DOGS OUT

Great movie for Kids!

This is a very family friendly movie. It’s worth a watch, but pretty boring to watch more than once. This movie is definitely directed towards a younger audience. If you’re age 2-7 or you’re a parent with young kids, this is great for a family movie night.

Boring

Good talking animal tale for kids.

Positive message 3 of 5. While there's a lot of anger/revenge going on, the messages about perseverance, teamwork, and empathy are ultimately positive Positive role model 3 of 5. Max can be selfish but he end up going to save Duke. Violence 2 of 5. characters are pursued through dank, gloomy sewers. At one point it looks like a main character may not survive. Some scary/intimidating animals, including mangy alley cats, a huge viper, an alligator, a hungry hawk, and other predators; one unsympathetic character dies in an altercation. Human Animal Control officers go after several characters on multiple occasions and sometimes succeed in grabbing them and locking them up in cage Language 1 of 5. Just a few insults. Good for kids 6 and up.

Rubbish

I was really hoping this movie would be good and have tons (or quite a lot) of action, but I didn't like it and the humour wasn't very pleasing either.

Far too childish!

This is a movie only a first grader could like. Animation, characters, plot is too childlike for anyone over 10.

It's an okay film.

I saw this when I was around 12 and I broke down crying in the cinema because i felt bad for the rabbit and his story line. The film itself is okay and is enjoyable for kids who don't pick up on some of the messages and context used. There is a little violence which can cause distraught for some kids, including a car explosion, talk of animals killing their owner in a blender, as well as a scary snake. I recommend it's watched by parents before hand so they can decide if they want to subject their children to the content shown or at least with parents, or someone who can monitor how the child is reacting to it.

Parents who say 10+ or a higher age have issues

Don't be so protective. When your kid is asking you to wipe their butt and asking what racism is when they are 18, just know being overly protective is what did it. You guys are ripping on a joke about animated drawings killing fictional owner with SPOONS. Parents on common sense media are mentally challenged.