All parent member reviews for The Secret of NIMH

Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byVickyN August 5, 2010

Definitely not for under 8

My nearly-8-year-old had starting watching this yesterday while I frantically searched here for clues. I sent my 5-year-old out of the room. The 8-year-old was fine with all the scenes people talk about here, but my hyper-sensitive especially around animals 5 year old would have been freaked by the glowing eyes. I want to clarify a point people have made about the flashback scene in the lab. Unless I missed a scene, the flashback in no way portrays torture; the rats are injected and they make it a little scary but I think kids would just associate it with a shot and think it was a good thing. Then the rats grow exponentially and squirm a bit while they do it. That's it. The problem I have with this movie is more about the violence of the two rats fighting and the graphic quality of the stabbing. The good side is that it's a mother that's the hero(ine),
Parent Written byufosjt February 23, 2012

Can be scary, but a great family flick!

This great flick for children can be scary at times. "Nicodemeus", a rat from NIMH, looks very creepy and scary. So does the great owl. Otherwise, children 7 and up would be good for this. Anyways, this movie is great and family-friendly!
Parent of a 7 year old Written bytajishima June 9, 2010

A classic movie from the early 80's,but watch with small children with caution

The Secret of Nimh is one of the most powerful movies I remember seeing when I was four years old. Now I'm 32, and I REALLY miss this quality of hand drawn animation. For Parents, this is a great movie to watch with your children. However, be aware there are some scenes which are very distrubing to children, especially the animal experimentation scene. Just be aware that you need to talk to your children afterwards if they start to get scared about this distrubing scene. Apart from this one scene, the rest of this movie has wonderful artwork, and the backgrounds are so detailed, that you have to admire all the attention to details. This movie artwork is even impressive to this day (2010). Buy this movie and enjoy. The Secret of NIMH should be one of best animated movies of all times.
Parent Written byBrandon Espinoza September 30, 2013

Overview of the Secret of NIMH

English: This film is just absolutely amazing! Nothing bad in particular except it's false "G" rating which should be revised to a "PG" rating minimum for it's perils, mild blood, and violence, and minor swearing. Besides its minor drawbacks, it has aged well, even after more than 3 decades since its theatrical release, it holds up well. The star, Mrs. Brisby, is such a timid mother, that she goes to great lengths to do just about anything, even nearly risking her life to do so. It is SO underrated, not too many people back then, or even to this very day discuss, let alone talk about it. I loved watching it as a child, and even as an adult, it's still quite entertaining to me in my opinion. Español: Esta película es absolutamente increíble! No hay nada malo en particular, excepto que la falsa clasificación "G", que se revisarían a una "PG" calificación mínima de sus peligros, sangre leves, y la violencia, y los menores juran. Además de sus inconvenientes menores, que ha envejecido bien, incluso después de más de 3 décadas desde su estreno, se mantiene bien. La estrella, la señora Brisby, es una madre tan tímida, que hace todo lo posible para hacer casi cualquier cosa, incluso cerca de arriesgar su vida para hacerlo. El SO está infravalorado, no mucha gente en aquel entonces, o incluso a día de hoy discutir, y mucho menos hablar de ello. Me encantó ver como un niño, e incluso en la edad adulta, aún así es bastante entretenido para mí en mi opinión.
Educator Written byAuntKraken October 13, 2011

Great film

It goes into detail about animal testing and how it effects the animals forced to be tested on.
Parent Written byhomiekreesh October 2, 2011

very good

awesome movie watched it when i was like 4 or 5
Parent of a 7 year old Written byQuQu May 17, 2011

Well made, but too scary and violent

Dark, scary and violent throughout, except for the very end. There are several scary looking characters, violent fight scenes, rats being forcefully injected with experimental substances in a lab and the main character's children drowning in mud (though miraculously saved). The animation is good and the ending is happy.
Adult Written byPelloneus May 19, 2010

Great movie with a strong message.

I saw this movie for the first time when I was about 5 years old, and I loved it. Even though it was scary at times, the characters and story were wonderful. This was my first introduction to animal testing, and though I didn't think too much of it at the time, it became one of my main concerns later on as got older. Overall, this is an excellent movie with strong characters, beautiful art and animation, and a excellent story.
Adult Written byMike8555 May 6, 2010

It's to me a very good movie, but I also remember thinking it was extremely scary when I watched it at age 5-6 - this while a friend of mine, the same age, didn't find it scary at all. I watched it again last night, for the first time in over 15 years and I liked it a lot, without having to be scared this time, but there were no doubt things that I don't think that some children younger than 8 could handle well, such as the owl with the glowing eyes or the spider, as well as the laboratory where the animal testing takes place. It's no doubt a well made movie in all aspects but I think that parents should watch it themselves, before showing it to any kids younger than 8. For me it's more of a movie meant for the little older children as well as for adults who like animated films as it is a fairly dark film.
Adult Written byAurelia143 April 9, 2008

Bad memories!

Granted, I haven't seen this movie since I was a kid...but my mother just told me she rented it for my son (who is 4) and my blood froze. I remember being horrified by this movie. I told her about it, what happens in the movie..and that I distinctly remember hating it. I would not recommend this movie for young kids..some older ones might be able to handle viewing it..but I wouldn't recommend it!
Parent of a 7 year old Written byResponsibleParent April 9, 2008

Too Scary for 8 year olds

It's amazing how these ratings can go awry. This movie may have a G rating but it should have a PG-13. There are scary occultic sequences with witchlike characters, a very scary owl and mature situations wholly inappropriate for 8 year olds. It is too dark, ominous and frightening for kids.
Adult Written bylotusflower April 9, 2008

A favorite from my childhood!

A great adventure story, beautifully animated, funny, and a female protagonist to boot! Mrs. Brisby has to find courage to save her sick son, including going to the *scary* Great Owl for advice, and asking the Rats of NIMH to move her cinderblock house out of the way of the tractor-plow. Two of the rats are bad guys and they plot a murder and see it through! The two of them also wind up killed, one with a sword and the other with a dagger. Also, the flash-back story about how the Rats of NIMG escaped has some scary bits when they are sort of tortured, and the narrator sadly explains how some smaller mice who tried to excape in the air vents were blown away by the fans. Mrs. Brisby also finds out the true story behind the death of her children's father. Now as a kid, I was very sensitive about death, but for some reason, this movie didn't bother me, I think because when bad things happen, characters show how to deal with it maturely. For instance, when Mrs. Brisby finds out how her husband died, she is sad about it but greatful to have been told, and understanding of why she couldn't be told before. As with other better known classics by Don Bluth (All Dogs Go to Heaven, The Land Before Time, An American Tail), the adventure is captivating because of the real danger characters face, but the skill of storytelling, the tenderness in the voice-acting, and the lightheartedness of the music, all combine to make the adventures fun and not too scary.
Adult Written bytommysportsgirl April 9, 2008