All teen and kid member reviews for The Secret of NIMH

Teen, 17 years old Written byel April 9, 2008

awful!

Violent, scary, witch-like. A wonderful children's classic taken to a "dark" level, makes the wise leader Nicodemus a wizard-king. Involves 2 murders, is all DARK. Certainly not for little kids, or for those who've loved Robert C O'briens classic. Puts NIMH in a cruel light, shows animals being "tortured". Absolutely horrid, would NEVER watch again. Had my 11 year old brother almost crying.
Teen, 17 years old Written bynduns November 18, 2008

Okay, can we get some sense of imagination here, people?

In the world of today, kids kinda need to be scared, and I think they like it more than they let on. With all the lies told by parents nowadays, kids need to be exposed to this kinda thing. This is one of the best movie adaptations ever! Perhaps it is too frightening for younger children. I guess maybe it would be a good idea to wait a while. Still, this is Don Bluth's best film and deserves a lot more respect.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJemmy March 10, 2009

Great Entertainment For Everyone!

I have to say, this is the greatest animated fantasy ever made. There were some violent parts though, and some blood, but it had a pleasent ending. The animation is fabulous, and so are the special effects, music, and voice talents. This is a film that young and old people will enjoy. It was a faithfull adoption to Robert C. O'Brian's novel.
Kid, 10 years old December 11, 2010

What I don't get...

.... is why it says this in the trailer. "And find the child inside us all." I haven't watched this movie, but I can tell it's very, very dark and I might watch it soon after reading the book.. The plot, I can tell, is heart warming. Mrs. 'Frisby' trying to save her son is a very good message.. and she's a wonderful role model.
Kid, 11 years old June 26, 2010

GOOD MOVIE

I LOVE THIS MOVIE! I REMEMBER WATCHING IT WHEN I WAS IN THE THIRD GRADE. THIS MOVIE WASN'T SCARY AT ALL! I KNOW IT MAY BE A LITTLE DARK FOR LITTLE KIDS BUT, HEY WHEN YOU GET OLDER YOU'LL GET USED TO IT.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMovieManiac3005 August 30, 2015

This film is an amazing animated classic!

This film is now one of my all time favourites and I will be sure to show it to my kids when I grow up. It is unique in many ways. For example: the story also touches on the evolution of society and civilisation. Also, along with having well written, developed likeble characters, it's the only Don Bluth film, nay the only animated film to have a widowed mother as the main character. The animation is spectacular and the story is amazing. The Secret of NIMH is clearly Don Bluth's finest. A must-see for kids and adults. 10/10 (Note: Parents please note the strong violence for a G rated movie and dark undertones in the film. I suggest that parents watch the film before showing it to there child to judge if it is appropriate).
Teen, 13 years old Written byrebo344 May 2, 2015

Splendid.

The Secret Of NIMH was, in my opinion, one of the greatest animated films of all time. I love the: Dark Atmopsphere Characters Voice Acting Plot
Kid, 10 years old December 5, 2009

Just as good as the Newbery-award-winning book.

It's a great animated movie, but the mouse's hole is almost run over by a tractor and one of the baby mice is sick with a bad cold.
Teen, 17 years old Written byminionlover246 February 19, 2016

My favorite movie now

I just saw this movie after many years and I enjoyed it. People say it's so dark, but it was honestly not dark at all. I enjoyed it and own it so please show kids this film, and do it before the crap CGI hybrid remake comes out (hopefully it never will)!!!
Teen, 14 years old Written byKmfan97 January 17, 2015

one of my favorite animated movies of all time.

I remember watching this film several times during my elementary school years at two schools. I didn't really get scared though and neither did the other kids. It is a very dark kids movie as well and when it comes to language d*** is said once and I didn't notice it until I watched it for the last time in elementary school in 5th grade. This is still a amazingly beautiful film though and me and my brother both think it's great. Just keep 5 and under away though because they will get scared. I am also so gonna show this movie to my little cousin when she turns six.
Teen, 17 years old Written byBestPicture1996 August 1, 2013

Dark, mysterious but fine for kids

Maybe don't show this to your youngest kids, but those in kindergarten and above will hopefully get caught up in the dark, somber and magical world of "The Secret of NIMH." There's some great voice talents, gorgeous animation, and my only complaint was the lengthy comic relief of Jeremy the Crow, but your kids will probably like him!
Kid, 10 years old May 15, 2013

Good movie but a bit Scary

This is O.K but Be careful it can be Scary at times. This is not for kids younger than 6.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySomeoneYouDon'tKnow May 21, 2012

A well-made Bluth film; some violence

This is my second favorite Don Bluth film, after The Land Before Time. It has a few good role models, but it is a little bit dark, and it has one use of "d*mn", which makes me surprised at it's G-rating. It is not as emotional as The Land Before Time, but it is on par with it in terms of intensity. Nonetheless, it is a nicely animated Bluth film that will please his many fans.
Teen, 15 years old Written byDominicboo1 July 20, 2011

Don Bluth's Exciting, But Intense Animated Classic

While a great movie this is certianly not G rated. It's from the eighties, but still should be PG. Violence- The Owl crushes a spider. Jenner kills Nicodemus, and he and Justin fight. Jenner and his minion's deaths have blood shown. Language- Justin says D-mn when Brisby's caught. Drugs- A main part of the movie is that someone has to drug the cat. Your children may be fine, but just in case preview it first. (You'll enjoy just as much)
Teen, 15 years old Written byarthur16morgana March 2, 2011
i love this movie so much.its one of my favorites.its really interesting to watch.its amazing! i didn't find all that scary but for people who are easily scared they might want to be a little careful when watching this movie.
Kid, 10 years old June 24, 2010

Good

I love it it's a good movie, but 3-6 year olds might get scared at some parts.
Teen, 15 years old Written byAnimeAelita September 30, 2009

Great movie for all ages...

I used to love this movie, I was four when I first saw it - I liked it a LOT! :) I still like it somewhat..Its a pretty good movie :) Depending on ones tollerance for violence - it may be an issue or not..For me it never was :)
Kid, 11 years old July 2, 2009
Teen, 15 years old Written bywho3697cares June 4, 2009
This isn't the type of animated movie that has a dark side covered with overdone cuteness like Disney was making at the time. This is quite open about its darkness.
Teen, 13 years old Written byyankee01 April 9, 2008

my review

when i first saw this i thought this was to scary for younger children