All parent member reviews for The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants

Adult Written byPamMc April 9, 2008

Great Story, too mature for tweens

This is a beautiful movie, but not for girls as young as 8. This movie deals with the loss of virginity by high school girls, and showing a girl being extremely aggressive toward a man older than she is. My daughter, who is 8, would not have understood the material, and my daughter who is 11 would - and I am not comfortable with her seeing this type of behavior glamourized in a movie. I would highly recommend it for girls over 13, and their mom's. I loved it and saw it with a friend.
Parent of a 5, 6, and 9 year old Written bymama p July 18, 2010
Parent of a 10 year old Written byLOL SMILEY FACE August 26, 2009

LOL :) FACE

LOL SMILEY FACE
Parent of a 11 year old Written byPatty101 July 7, 2009

APPORPRITE
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... May 19, 2009

I really enjoyed these books and the movie(s) but I am an adult. My child is an only child and my opinion was that I was *shocked* when I saw it listed as appropriate for her age group. However, if my daughter had older siblings in upper middle school or high school, perhaps already exposed to these types of situations as a result, then this movie might be appropriate with parental discussion.
Adult Written byauburngrads April 9, 2008

Just short of PG - 13

This is a great story with fine acting and realistic high-school girl situations. I think with the strong family situations (suicide, abandoned father, death of friend), the (not seen) loss of viginity, and the repetitive foul (mild, but foul) language, however, that this film should really be reserved for children that are near age 13 / at least 11. It has a good message, but I don't think with the fast-moving multi-character storylines and the above issues that it is appropriate for a younger viewer. One more curse word or adult situation and I think it would have been PG-13. My 12 year old really enjoyed it (as did I) and I think that it is a great movie for a mature pre-teen. I am thankful that the movie industry has addressed the need for a PG movie that is ideal for the 'pre-teen' set --neither too childish nor deals with adult situations in a violent, sexually explicit way and thereby gets a "13' rating. I think (mature) 11 - 15 year olds will REALLY enjoy this movie!
Parent Written byMrBoo July 18, 2010

Oh hate it so much
Educator Written bysb34chick November 21, 2009

OK for tweens

Loved the movie. It followed the book very well. There is an allusion of a seductive scene in Greece, but nothing risque. The messages are positive, and through everything, friendships are built stronger through separation and experience. The girls come together in the end to reflect on their experiences which brings the movie to a nice close.
Adult Written bychabela May 19, 2009

the movie iz awsome but it has unappropriate language but i dont really care.....
Adult Written bytootoolvr14 April 9, 2008

The Best Movie

This movie is amazing. Bee is in "love" or more likely lust with an older forbidden guy. Sex is implied with Bee and Eric. It is off screen. NO one says if it happens. Older watchers might just guess that. Younger kids probably won't even catch it. There is very very little language, if any. Carmen throws a rock at her dad's window. But he definatly deserved it. I think everyone should watch this movie. Several times.
Adult Written byleif April 9, 2008

Adult Written byj1sp April 9, 2008

I fell in love with Greece watching this movie.

I thought that there could have been more excitement going on with the girls lives.
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

i didn't like the implied sex - my 10 year old daughter was asking questions. watch out for the "dirty" dancing. is this what we want to show our girls? it was a nice movie, though. i am now afraid my daughter will want to read the book which looks like it should most definitely be off-limits at this point.
Adult Written byBlurbie April 9, 2008

Adult Written bytoona54720 April 9, 2008

Good story but the girls were a little iffy....

I took my 12 year old and we discussed the issues in the movie afterward. Good thing too. Although the message at the end was great and the girls learned good lessons, I was concerned with the provocativeness of a couple of the characters. Still, something to discuss later. Think about taking younger girls please...oh...and bring Kleenex!
Adult Written byAuntieBaba April 9, 2008

I cried! I laughed

I found this movie to be a very good portrayal of real friendships and relationships. It hit home with me on certain points. I would definitely recommend it. Thoroughly enjoyed it!!!
Adult Written bymaparyan April 9, 2008

Adult Written byvictoria h April 9, 2008

Discussion Starter

This is NOT your Hilary Duff commercialized gunk, and is NOT Lindsay Lohan sex and meanness. This is a lot more real. I have three children. 2 girls,1 boy. This is a good portrayal of adolescent growth/change; the kind that comes with confusion and then personal discovery. It's about not having all the answers right away, but communicating with others you trust-even though it's hard. And realizing that as a young person you are always evolving. It has been a good spring board to lots of different topics with my 11 year old girl. As a mother, I cried during a lot of the movie. My daughter liked it a lot. I took her with 13 girls from her 5th grade class. They all liked it too. (Many were teary!)
Adult Written byTundraLord April 9, 2008

12 or 13 and up

I don't know how the CSM reviewer said this movie was okay for nine year olds plus. The sexual topics and language were definitely not ones I want my 9 year old to even have to think about right now - nor were the behavior of some of the girls in the movie be something I'd want any child to idolize or emulate. 12 or 13 plus PLEASE
Adult Written bytinytaz April 9, 2008

grab the tissues

the movie starts a little slow, but as it goes on you really get into the the lives of theses young girls as each of them passes the pants to one another. Heart warming and touching to see friendships and girls change through out the movie.. it makes me hope for my daughter to have friends like these girls in the movie.