All parent member reviews for The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants

Adult Written byPamMc April 9, 2008

Great Story, too mature for tweens

This is a beautiful movie, but not for girls as young as 8. This movie deals with the loss of virginity by high school girls, and showing a girl being extremely aggressive toward a man older than she is. My daughter, who is 8, would not have understood the material, and my daughter who is 11 would - and I am not comfortable with her seeing this type of behavior glamourized in a movie. I would highly recommend it for girls over 13, and their mom's. I loved it and saw it with a friend.
Parent of a 5, 6, and 9 year old Written bymama p July 18, 2010
Parent of a 10 year old Written byLOL SMILEY FACE August 26, 2009

LOL :) FACE

LOL SMILEY FACE
Adult Written byauburngrads April 9, 2008

Just short of PG - 13

This is a great story with fine acting and realistic high-school girl situations. I think with the strong family situations (suicide, abandoned father, death of friend), the (not seen) loss of viginity, and the repetitive foul (mild, but foul) language, however, that this film should really be reserved for children that are near age 13 / at least 11. It has a good message, but I don't think with the fast-moving multi-character storylines and the above issues that it is appropriate for a younger viewer. One more curse word or adult situation and I think it would have been PG-13. My 12 year old really enjoyed it (as did I) and I think that it is a great movie for a mature pre-teen. I am thankful that the movie industry has addressed the need for a PG movie that is ideal for the 'pre-teen' set --neither too childish nor deals with adult situations in a violent, sexually explicit way and thereby gets a "13' rating. I think (mature) 11 - 15 year olds will REALLY enjoy this movie!
Educator Written bysb34chick November 21, 2009

OK for tweens

Loved the movie. It followed the book very well. There is an allusion of a seductive scene in Greece, but nothing risque. The messages are positive, and through everything, friendships are built stronger through separation and experience. The girls come together in the end to reflect on their experiences which brings the movie to a nice close.
Educator and Parent Written byReviewer42 March 18, 2016

A touching and heartfelt coming-of-age film

I felt there are many positive messages in this movie. Hearts soften, personal walls are torn down, characters find new strength and purpose, and friends encourage and support each other. I read several negative reviews about the fact that one of the girls loses her virginity, which is true. It is not shown, (other than a few seconds of passionate kissing, both characters fully-clothed) but you understand that it happened. I feel it is important to point out that the occurrence is not glorified or glamorized. If it had been, I would have negative things to say. However, I felt it was handled well and it was made clear to the viewers - and the girl's peers - that she was heading down a dangerous path with her bold flirtations. (*possible spoilers*) The young man she was flirting with even realized she was coming on too strong at times and walked away. When they both did get carried away, it was clear that it was a mistake, not to just the viewers, but to the two characters, as well. In fact, the girl is shown feeling empty after it happened. I felt that the whole thing opened up the possibility for some meaningful conversation and teaching moments between parents and their teens about the consequences of our actions and how attractions can be carried too far. Some reviewers also mention a second girl losing her virginity, but if that's the case, it's not obvious. She and a young man are alone on a boat at night, but there is nothing more than a few seconds of kissing at one point (again, they are also fully clothed). It's left up to the viewer to decide if anything more happened between them. As far as any other sensuality goes, there are a couple of scenes in which you see some of the girls in their underwear but in the context of changing pants and going swimming. I could have done without it, but it was not done in a sensual way. You also see a young man with his shirt off in the context of swimming. Later, you see drawings of him with his shirt off and I was more uncomfortable with the drawings than seeing him swimming with no shirt on. One thing I had a little difficulty with (*possible spoiler*) was seeing an engaged couple living together like a happy family before they were married. I realize some people don't see that as an issue, so it depends on the viewer's personal point of view, but I felt that portraying a couple living together before they were married as being a positive - or normal - thing sent a less desirable message than the portrayal of young people getting carried away, making a mistake and feeling remorse. There is some smoking, done by adult employees on their work break, not by any main character. There is also brief drinking and evidence of drinking by the soccer coaches after work hours. No one got drunk. Three young people sneak out to go to a club, but they do not drink. The only thing that prevented me from giving this movie one more star is the unnecessary profanity. Granted, it is more mild than many other movies, but I felt that it was not necessary and was a bit excessive. I enjoyed this film. I love how diverse each of the girls are. I think teenage girls could relate to at least one of the four main characters with their flaws and their personal and family struggles. The film deals with divorce and loss of loved ones and portrays friends coming together, encouraging each other to express their grief, helping each other get through their challenges. Overall, it left me feeling uplifted. I've seen it twice so far and would watch it again.
Parent of a 11 year old Written byPatty101 July 7, 2009
APPORPRITE
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... May 19, 2009
I really enjoyed these books and the movie(s) but I am an adult. My child is an only child and my opinion was that I was *shocked* when I saw it listed as appropriate for her age group. However, if my daughter had older siblings in upper middle school or high school, perhaps already exposed to these types of situations as a result, then this movie might be appropriate with parental discussion.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byMarcie F. August 3, 2016

Irresponsible Sex Lesson

Although I believe girls 13 and above would be okay reading this book (with perhaps parental footnote) which I will explain later. This book was recommended summer reading for my 10 year old. That is way too young. This book is told in the POV of four 15-16 year old girls. There is drinking, skinny-dipping, death, suicide. Shall I say more? Okay I will. The most disturbing part for me was a 15 year old girl seducing her 19 year old soccer coach. I believe in this country that is considered Statutory Rape. And okay, while as an adult, I can understand the nuances, and the lesson the girl learned, and the apologies made, and the regret, and ALL that. Here is the problem. While it dealt with her emotional regret, it never mentioned if the guy wore a condom, or the fact that sometimes in life, having sex can lead to deeper consequences like Sexually Transmitted Disease OR Pregnancy. So for me, this was an irresponsible bit of literature.
Parent Written byMrBoo July 18, 2010
Oh hate it so much
Adult Written bychabela May 19, 2009
the movie iz awsome but it has unappropriate language but i dont really care.....
Adult Written bytootoolvr14 April 9, 2008

The Best Movie

This movie is amazing. Bee is in "love" or more likely lust with an older forbidden guy. Sex is implied with Bee and Eric. It is off screen. NO one says if it happens. Older watchers might just guess that. Younger kids probably won't even catch it. There is very very little language, if any. Carmen throws a rock at her dad's window. But he definatly deserved it. I think everyone should watch this movie. Several times.
Adult Written byleif April 9, 2008
Adult Written byj1sp April 9, 2008

I fell in love with Greece watching this movie.

I thought that there could have been more excitement going on with the girls lives.
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008
i didn't like the implied sex - my 10 year old daughter was asking questions. watch out for the "dirty" dancing. is this what we want to show our girls? it was a nice movie, though. i am now afraid my daughter will want to read the book which looks like it should most definitely be off-limits at this point.
Adult Written byBlurbie April 9, 2008
Adult Written bytoona54720 April 9, 2008

Good story but the girls were a little iffy....

I took my 12 year old and we discussed the issues in the movie afterward. Good thing too. Although the message at the end was great and the girls learned good lessons, I was concerned with the provocativeness of a couple of the characters. Still, something to discuss later. Think about taking younger girls please...oh...and bring Kleenex!
Adult Written byAuntieBaba April 9, 2008

I cried! I laughed

I found this movie to be a very good portrayal of real friendships and relationships. It hit home with me on certain points. I would definitely recommend it. Thoroughly enjoyed it!!!
Adult Written bymaparyan April 9, 2008
Adult Written byvictoria h April 9, 2008

Discussion Starter

This is NOT your Hilary Duff commercialized gunk, and is NOT Lindsay Lohan sex and meanness. This is a lot more real. I have three children. 2 girls,1 boy. This is a good portrayal of adolescent growth/change; the kind that comes with confusion and then personal discovery. It's about not having all the answers right away, but communicating with others you trust-even though it's hard. And realizing that as a young person you are always evolving. It has been a good spring board to lots of different topics with my 11 year old girl. As a mother, I cried during a lot of the movie. My daughter liked it a lot. I took her with 13 girls from her 5th grade class. They all liked it too. (Many were teary!)