Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for The Skeleton Key

Creepy thriller that's too scary for younger kids.

Adult Written bymattb2 December 19, 2014

Fantastic horror

A fantastic horror film, much more eerie and spooky than your typical Nightmare On Elm Street or Friday the 13th in that the possibility of reality is far more prevalent and permeated in the film. Actresses Kate Hudson and Gena Rowlands deliver extremely adequate performances, but it isn't until the end of the movie when they display mesmerizing and maybe even hauntingly performances(Especially Kate Hudson). The two hand servants who were played via African American man and woman, were perhaps the most frightening in the film in that they uttered not a single word throughout the duration of the movie but their sheer presence was enough to "rattle the comfort zone" of viewers. It is a difficult thing in movies to have such a strong influence in/on what's going on without ever being able to speak. The symbolism in this film was masterfully done as well, depicting rings, and other possessions belonging to the hand servants as being owned by Gena Rowland's character and being found by Kate Hudson's character. An unforgettable movie with a great ending. A must watch.
Adult Written bytommysportsgirl April 9, 2008
Parent of a 9 year old Written bylynda a. January 22, 2019

Jump Scary

This movie is creepy good. It will make you jump. But it is dark, lots of hoodoo and black magic, lots of rainstorms and ghostly stuff, freaky and intense. There is some violence, a scene of a lynching and burning them afterwards. Fight scene at the end...disturbing images throughout of the dying man struggling to communicate. But if you want to curl up with someone and be scared, this is a good movie for it. Full of good acting.
Adult Written byi have i s April 9, 2008

wow

real good for a horror movie
Adult Written byfritzsky April 9, 2008

Good thriller but main theme has to do with Voodoo

Adult Written bydavispittman September 16, 2017

Very well made scary movie

The Skeleton Key is a scary Kate Hudson movie that will satisfy if you like films of this sort. It has good writing, very realistic acting, and a scary thrilling plot with just enough twists and turns. This film will keep you guessing and wondering ritht up until the big finale. It's a movie that I highly recommend to anyone 13 and over, as long as you like scary movies. It's not overly violent at all, has mild profanity and absolutely no sexual content.

Adult Written byLissco April 9, 2008

For those who like a Good suspensfull thriller

I have always loved creepy movies. Don't care a bit about the blood and gore movies of today, and this movie fits my criteria! Most movies now seem to start good but have an unbelievable ending or it goes flat leaving too many unanswered questions. This movie had a good story and the ending was right up there with The 6th Sense. I enjoyed it, was scared in all the right places and the ending lived up to the beginning.
Adult Written byCUTY-GIRL April 9, 2008

IT WAS TOTALLY COOL

I REALLY THINK THAT SOME YOUNGER KIDS COULD WATCH IT. I HAVE A 12 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER AND SHE LOVED IT TOO.AND SHE DIDNT THINK IT WAS TOO SCARY I THINK IT WAS RATED TOO HARD.
Adult Written byKS25 April 9, 2008

Decent movie

Not bad plot, you may need to rewind it to get the parts they are talking about. And there is a slight shower scene and she wakes up in the bed just wearing panties. But nothing any worse.