Kid reviews for The Social Dilemma

Eye-opening docu charts social media dangers, offers advice.

Teen, 13 years old Written byEC020204 September 12, 2020

Eye-Opening

This was a pretty good documentary- slow at times, but also very well made. I think PG-13 is a pretty good rating, however this is a pretty low PG-13 rating and is comparable to a very mature PG movie as far as content goes. It really does show how dependent society now is on devices. That being said, it is still fairly mature and shouldn't be taken too lightly.

Great messages:

This documentary has a pretty good message, however it is more educational on technology and screens rather than how important it is to get off them. I think I would do a 3.5/5 in this category.

Great Role Models:

This has some pretty good role models, but as I have said, it's a documentary rather than a story-type thing, so it's not really too much about getting off devices and doing other things as it is why it's hard to do so in this day and age. I would give a 3/5 in this category.

Violence: The movie is not too bad, however there is some pretty strong stuff. Riots and mobs are shown pretty frequently, mostly from news clips and social media posts, and shows toxic and harmful online comments. People being interviewed also talk about people committing self-harm after things they see online. I could see why this category could give the movie a PG-13 rating, but nothing like gore is ever shown. I would give a 3/5 in this category.

Sexual/Suggestive content:

I wouldn't say stuff is too bad, the documentary talks about some mildly suggestive stuff but it's not too sexual, I would give this a 1.5/5.

Swearing: Words like s*ht, da*m and g*d are used, but except for the fact there is more than 1 use of s*ht, it is not too inappropriate considering many PG-13 movies these days use pretty strong language like f*ck and t**s. I would give this a 3/5.

Sure, it shows many social media platforms, but there's no sponsored advertisements or anything, it's mostly interviewees talking about their former jobs and talking about people using various platforms such as Snapchat and YouTube. I would say 2.5/5 here.

Drinking/Drugs: This isn't that bad, I would say 1/5 as there is not too many references, I would say this is only content you would see in a G-rated movie as far as drugs go.

Teen, 14 years old Written byBella Swan December 16, 2020

Eye-opening view of how technology (specifically social media) is corrupting us

This documentary lets kids know how intricately companies like Google, Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook are disguising their designed infiltrations of our mind. I think it is a must-watch for everyone.

Teen, 16 years old Written byCj_17 September 30, 2020

The Social Dilemma gives a good view into what's really going on with social media behind the scenes in a more simplified view. It opened my eyes and made me realize that I'm stuck in this never ending use of social media to cover up what's really going on. The best way they described it in the film is a "pacifier" A lot people in my generation don't even realize as people we're becoming more and more distant from really human interaction. This movie would was great eye opener and should be widely watched by everyone.

Teen, 13 years old Written bycelliott_ox October 17, 2020

good but a few downsides for the child

I actually really enjoyed seeing the inside of social media. it was very interesting and I watched it with my parents but the only downside for the child (me) is that I got restrictions and my phone fully searched for no reason. but overall it is good. one piece of advice is that if you want to restrict please sit down and talk to your child about and see what their opinion is. maybe if they think they are spending too much time on their phone or a certain app. let your child have an opinion. but I would recommend if you want to know the truth about the world.

Teen, 13 years old Written byHowcoolisthis09 August 22, 2021

A bit disturbing

I was really looking forward to this and it lived up to my expectations. But there were some disturbing images such as violent protesters, teens getting arrested, terrorists, and talked about depression and young girls cutting themselves along with suicide that could disturb sensitive yours are young children.

Teen, 13 years old Written byyogurt12156 June 7, 2021

Good documentary!

Documentary to show the dangers of social media and screen time. Some swears, great role models and messages. Will have you thinking twice about how much time you spend on devices daily.

Kid, 12 years old May 10, 2021

Dramatic documentary on screens

Firstly, I would like to say that I definitely recommend this movie to any parent or family who is interested in learning more about how screen time effects people. However, there are some very serious, dark topics discussed, like suicide and violence due to social media. Young, sensitive kids may be scared by some of the things shown in this film. You'll want to watch it with kids who are ready to handle it.

Some reviews are calling this movie one-sided. Yes, experts do talk about how screen time is manipulative and addictive, but these are people who clearly know who they are talking about. They admitted that technology has it's advantages, although the majority of the film was negative.

So, what is there to watch out for?
Violence: Yes, there are riots, and some violence. There is talk about people hurting themselves due to social media, but you never see it or anything like that.
Sex: No, not really.
Swearing: Yes, a bit. They say things like sh*t, da*m, and god.
Drinking/drugs: No.

In summary, this is a great film, but quite dramatic. I thought it was very creatively done, and got the right message across. I had no idea just how much power my iPhone has over me. These topics are just so important for kids to learn, even those as young as 9.

Thanks for reading! I completely recommend...if your kid/tween is ready.

Kid, 11 years old February 8, 2021

Very interesting

This was actually surprisingly good. I think it is a good thing to show your kids if they are addicted to their phones and social media, because it might be really eye-opening for them to see behind the scenes of what is actually going on. There was some violence, which is sorta expected, and language isn't really that bad. I think the PG-13 rating is a little bit excessive, because the content really isn't all that bad.
Teen, 14 years old Written byNonsensical_Reviews January 19, 2021

Important film about social media usage will open teens' eyes.

The Social Dilemma is a 2020 documentary directed by Jeff Orlowski and starring Tristan Harris, Vincent Kartheiser, Skyler Gisondo, Jason Lanier, Jeff Seilbert, and Sandy Parakilas.

Language(2/5): Two uses of "s**t", multiple uses of "god" in vain, and one use of "damn phone" and "what the hell". Some protest posters in the background have swear words, but they flash by quick.

Sex(3/5): Discussion about sexual violation and abuse are infrequent but apparent. Worries about girls' bodily appearance involve mild discussion about insensitive trends. About a 2-minute discussion about the p*doph*le ring Pizzagate, with in depth talks about but no actual explanation about what p*doph*lia is. Lots of flirting.

Drinking, Drugs, And Smoking: A brief weed reference and comparisons to social media use being like a drug.

Violence(3/5): Lots of discussion about violent acts such as homicide and suicide, dangerous false news, destruction, assault, riots, bombings, terrorism, and fights. In one video, dead bodies are shown, and in another a car backs into a bunch of rioters, pushing one underneath.

Positive Messages(3/5): Messages about harnessing the good out of social media and not letting it control you, as well as freedom of speech.

Positive Role Models And Representations(4/5): Many speak valuable information and advice of how to control social media and manage your life, including those who work for the companies.

Watching Experience: Even though I mostly knew about the material being presented, one quote resonated with me: "It's the critics who are true optimists."

Quality(opinionated): A good showcase about the positives and negatives of social media usage, with valuable information and evidence portrayed.

(My rating)
PG-13
For thematic material throughout including sensitive/suggestive material, violent images, and brief language.

Kid, 10 years old January 12, 2021

Great movie, however some mature scenes...

This is a very interesting documentary, and Before I watched this movie I was upset that I was not allowed to watch "YouTube Kids" but now after watching it I thank my mom every day! Though there is a LOT of valance and there is some negative body image.
But over all I think this is a great family movie and sends a VERY important message.

Teen, 16 years old Written byseawer November 19, 2020

incredible documentary about social media.

Have you ever thought how social media like youtube, instagram, tik-tok manipulate your life? This documentary can open your eyes to such problems as social media addiction. Personally, I even wanted to delete all my social media applications after watching this documentary. Yet I didn't...
Teen, 13 years old Written byRatings4U November 5, 2020

Dark, cynical docu-drama explores the dangers of social media.

Eye opening and rather cynical, the Social Dilemma is a good way to help kids understand the dangers of being online. The documentary covers issues like data collection, suicide, addiction, fake news, and more. There is some brief mild language and violence including live videos from protests, disturbing pictures, and more. It is very good, though.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySeleneOop October 25, 2020

Way To Dramatic

They act like social media is such a bad thing. Yeah it can be bad. But during this time, where you can't hang out with people most of the time, how are you going to interact with your friends. You can't much without devices. They talk about how it sucks you in, and it can, so you just gotta be careful. In the family that they show, they normally do their devices during dinner and their mom tells them to put it away and puts it in a glass box. The kid is so addicted she smashes the glass box to see. That's very overdramatic. I don't do my phone do my phone during dinner. By taking devices away completely during this time, more people will get depressed. People need to talk to people during this time. They overdramatize everything. I don't think they are thinking about how teens will feel, how their mental health would be at this time without devices.
Teen, 14 years old Written byClorox bleach October 18, 2020

Social media

Good documentary about social media

Teen, 13 years old Written byDylanRockz99 October 12, 2020

Almost like a Horror movie

I just watched this the other night and it really opens your eyes up about the theory of how are phones are watching us and this movie was almost like a horror because of how perplexed and informative it was about this creepy theory.

Kid, 12 years old October 1, 2020

Must Watch

This is a real wake-up call. Watch it.

In the drama section, there is reference to:
-talking to girls
-Extremist groups, and joining them
-a girl of around 11 feeling really depressed about her looks
-girl being mean online
-police and protesters clash in a situation that was almost violent
A lot of brands mentioned VERY frequently, but mainly in a bad light (Facebook, Google, Pintrest, Instagram)

Kid, 11 years old September 27, 2020

Amazing Documentary

It is an amazing doc and it really teaches kids that are on social media what the dark side of the web is.

Teen, 15 years old Written byJoel_5762 September 25, 2020

The Social Dilemma is a chilling eye-opener | Film Review

The Social Dilemma is a surprisingly entertaining film/documentary. Usually, documentaries aren't the sort of entertainment I would watch; but this docudrama's main theme exploring 'the rise of technology' and its effect on human lives is encapsulating, intriguing and quite eye-opening.

With COVID making it difficult to get to the cinemas, director Jeff Orlowski is successfully able to balance insightful interviews with an interesting dramatization showing a teenagers addiction to social media. Watching this film there is a lot I can learn and relate to, as I am a heavy user of social media. Specifically Instagram, Facebook and Youtube. The film communicates the mental and social effects of technology on individuals and the rest of the world. Due to discussing how dangerous these social media platforms are; it doesn't deeply cover the issue of what to do instead? or how we can further improve.
What it does do, however, is provides the audience with enough shocking information to then leave the decision up to them.

The previous designers and engineers of these platforms are positive role models. These people have opened their eyes and now aim to protest for change. Technology isn't bad; it's just how some people are using it that they aim to change. Though there are some violent protests and mobs as well as confronting news stories, the documentary is certainly ok for children 12 and up.

To conclude; 'The Social Dilemma' is an extremely chilling; eye-opening film discussing the issues of technology and how it not only affects people's lives but also the future of the planet. I believe that it sets a new standard for how good documentaries should be done.

Teen, 13 years old Written byfancybutterfly September 25, 2020

Impactful Docu

This was an eye-opening docu, however it was a bit slow at times.

Teen, 14 years old Written byTogedemaru23 September 24, 2020

Certainly eye-opening, but is very one-sided.

While yes, it is informative, it leans too much on propaganda and drama instead of actual statistics and facts, making it less believable in the long run. I'm also not a big fan of the "drama-documentary" format. Theoretically, it could work, but the drama part just makes the whole thing feel more manipulative than it needs to be. It's not completely worthless, though. At least I learned some stuff.