Kid reviews for The Social Dilemma

The Social Dilemma Poster Image

A bit disturbing

I was really looking forward to this and it lived up to my expectations. But there were some disturbing images such as violent protesters, teens getting arrested, terrorists, and talked about depression and young girls cutting themselves along with suicide that could disturb sensitive yours are young children.

Good documentary!

Documentary to show the dangers of social media and screen time. Some swears, great role models and messages. Will have you thinking twice about how much time you spend on devices daily.

Dramatic documentary on screens

Firstly, I would like to say that I definitely recommend this movie to any parent or family who is interested in learning more about how screen time effects people. However, there are some very serious, dark topics discussed, like suicide and violence due to social media. Young, sensitive kids may be scared by some of the things shown in this film. You'll want to watch it with kids who are ready to handle it. Some reviews are calling this movie one-sided. Yes, experts do talk about how screen time is manipulative and addictive, but these are people who clearly know who they are talking about. They admitted that technology has it's advantages, although the majority of the film was negative. So, what is there to watch out for? Violence: Yes, there are riots, and some violence. There is talk about people hurting themselves due to social media, but you never see it or anything like that. Sex: No, not really. Swearing: Yes, a bit. They say things like sh*t, da*m, and god. Drinking/drugs: No. In summary, this is a great film, but quite dramatic. I thought it was very creatively done, and got the right message across. I had no idea just how much power my iPhone has over me. These topics are just so important for kids to learn, even those as young as 9. Thanks for reading! I completely recommend...if your kid/tween is ready.

Very interesting

This was actually surprisingly good. I think it is a good thing to show your kids if they are addicted to their phones and social media, because it might be really eye-opening for them to see behind the scenes of what is actually going on. There was some violence, which is sorta expected, and language isn't really that bad. I think the PG-13 rating is a little bit excessive, because the content really isn't all that bad.

Important film about social media usage will open teens' eyes.

The Social Dilemma is a 2020 documentary directed by Jeff Orlowski and starring Tristan Harris, Vincent Kartheiser, Skyler Gisondo, Jason Lanier, Jeff Seilbert, and Sandy Parakilas. Language(2/5): Two uses of "s**t", multiple uses of "god" in vain, and one use of "damn phone" and "what the hell". Some protest posters in the background have swear words, but they flash by quick. Sex(3/5): Discussion about sexual violation and abuse are infrequent but apparent. Worries about girls' bodily appearance involve mild discussion about insensitive trends. About a 2-minute discussion about the p*doph*le ring Pizzagate, with in depth talks about but no actual explanation about what p*doph*lia is. Lots of flirting. Drinking, Drugs, And Smoking: A brief weed reference and comparisons to social media use being like a drug. Violence(3/5): Lots of discussion about violent acts such as homicide and suicide, dangerous false news, destruction, assault, riots, bombings, terrorism, and fights. In one video, dead bodies are shown, and in another a car backs into a bunch of rioters, pushing one underneath. Positive Messages(3/5): Messages about harnessing the good out of social media and not letting it control you, as well as freedom of speech. Positive Role Models And Representations(4/5): Many speak valuable information and advice of how to control social media and manage your life, including those who work for the companies. Watching Experience: Even though I mostly knew about the material being presented, one quote resonated with me: "It's the critics who are true optimists." Quality(opinionated): A good showcase about the positives and negatives of social media usage, with valuable information and evidence portrayed. (My rating) PG-13 For thematic material throughout including sensitive/suggestive material, violent images, and brief language.

Great movie, however some mature scenes...

This is a very interesting documentary, and Before I watched this movie I was upset that I was not allowed to watch "YouTube Kids" but now after watching it I thank my mom every day! Though there is a LOT of valance and there is some negative body image. But over all I think this is a great family movie and sends a VERY important message.

Eye-opening view of how technology (specifically social media) is corrupting us

This documentary lets kids know how intricately companies like Google, Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook are disguising their designed infiltrations of our mind. I think it is a must-watch for everyone.

incredible documentary about social media.

Have you ever thought how social media like youtube, instagram, tik-tok manipulate your life? This documentary can open your eyes to such problems as social media addiction. Personally, I even wanted to delete all my social media applications after watching this documentary. Yet I didn't...

Dark, cynical docu-drama explores the dangers of social media.

Eye opening and rather cynical, the Social Dilemma is a good way to help kids understand the dangers of being online. The documentary covers issues like data collection, suicide, addiction, fake news, and more. There is some brief mild language and violence including live videos from protests, disturbing pictures, and more. It is very good, though.

Way To Dramatic

They act like social media is such a bad thing. Yeah it can be bad. But during this time, where you can't hang out with people most of the time, how are you going to interact with your friends. You can't much without devices. They talk about how it sucks you in, and it can, so you just gotta be careful. In the family that they show, they normally do their devices during dinner and their mom tells them to put it away and puts it in a glass box. The kid is so addicted she smashes the glass box to see. That's very overdramatic. I don't do my phone do my phone during dinner. By taking devices away completely during this time, more people will get depressed. People need to talk to people during this time. They overdramatize everything. I don't think they are thinking about how teens will feel, how their mental health would be at this time without devices.