Kid reviews for The Social Dilemma

Eye-opening docu charts social media dangers, offers advice.

Wondering if The Social Dilemma is OK for your kids?

Teen, 13 years old Written byEC020204 September 12, 2020

Eye-Opening

This was a pretty good documentary- slow at times, but also very well made. I think PG-13 is a pretty good rating, however this is a pretty low PG-13 rating and is comparable to a very mature PG movie as far as content goes. It really does show how dependent society now is on devices. That being said, it is still fairly mature and shouldn't be taken too lightly.

Great messages:

This documentary has a pretty good message, however it is more educational on technology and screens rather than how important it is to get off them. I think I would do a 3.5/5 in this category.

Great Role Models:

This has some pretty good role models, but as I have said, it's a documentary rather than a story-type thing, so it's not really too much about getting off devices and doing other things as it is why it's hard to do so in this day and age. I would give a 3/5 in this category.

Violence: The movie is not too bad, however there is some pretty strong stuff. Riots and mobs are shown pretty frequently, mostly from news clips and social media posts, and shows toxic and harmful online comments. People being interviewed also talk about people committing self-harm after things they see online. I could see why this category could give the movie a PG-13 rating, but nothing like gore is ever shown. I would give a 3/5 in this category.

Sexual/Suggestive content:

I wouldn't say stuff is too bad, the documentary talks about some mildly suggestive stuff but it's not too sexual, I would give this a 1.5/5.

Swearing: Words like s*ht, da*m and g*d are used, but except for the fact there is more than 1 use of s*ht, it is not too inappropriate considering many PG-13 movies these days use pretty strong language like f*ck and t**s. I would give this a 3/5.

Sure, it shows many social media platforms, but there's no sponsored advertisements or anything, it's mostly interviewees talking about their former jobs and talking about people using various platforms such as Snapchat and YouTube. I would say 2.5/5 here.

Drinking/Drugs: This isn't that bad, I would say 1/5 as there is not too many references, I would say this is only content you would see in a G-rated movie as far as drugs go.

Teen, 13 years old Written byawesomegirlhorsey October 7, 2020

Fantastic and eye opening

I watched this film with my family, and found it both shocking and educating. A must watch for your tweens and teens as they explore the world, but brushes on mature content. If compares using social media to drug use, as well as discussing how the rates of female teen and tween suicides and self harm rates have gone up. There are a few examples of how social media has gotten out of control with often graphic acts of violence and violent protests, including one mature example of a fake rumour was that a pizza place was made out to be a sex trafficking ring. A must watch, with great advice and certain to make you rethink social media. Highly recommended, but be ready to have the skip button for younger kids.

Teen, 16 years old Written byCj_17 September 30, 2020

The Social Dilemma gives a good view into what's really going on with social media behind the scenes in a more simplified view. It opened my eyes and made me realize that I'm stuck in this never ending use of social media to cover up what's really going on. The best way they described it in the film is a "pacifier" A lot people in my generation don't even realize as people we're becoming more and more distant from really human interaction. This movie would was great eye opener and should be widely watched by everyone.

Teen, 14 years old Written byClorox bleach October 18, 2020

Social media

Good documentary about social media

Teen, 13 years old Written bycelliott_ox October 17, 2020

good but a few downsides for the child

I actually really enjoyed seeing the inside of social media. it was very interesting and I watched it with my parents but the only downside for the child (me) is that I got restrictions and my phone fully searched for no reason. but overall it is good. one piece of advice is that if you want to restrict please sit down and talk to your child about and see what their opinion is. maybe if they think they are spending too much time on their phone or a certain app. let your child have an opinion. but I would recommend if you want to know the truth about the world.

Teen, 13 years old Written byDylanRockz99 October 12, 2020

Almost like a Horror movie

I just watched this the other night and it really opens your eyes up about the theory of how are phones are watching us and this movie was almost like a horror because of how perplexed and informative it was about this creepy theory.

Kid, 12 years old October 1, 2020

Must Watch

This is a real wake-up call. Watch it.

In the drama section, there is reference to:
-talking to girls
-Extremist groups, and joining them
-a girl of around 11 feeling really depressed about her looks
-girl being mean online
-police and protesters clash in a situation that was almost violent
A lot of brands mentioned VERY frequently, but mainly in a bad light (Facebook, Google, Pintrest, Instagram)

Kid, 11 years old September 27, 2020

Amazing Documentary

It is an amazing doc and it really teaches kids that are on social media what the dark side of the web is.

Teen, 15 years old Written byJoel_5762 September 25, 2020

The Social Dilemma is a chilling eye-opener | Film Review

The Social Dilemma is a surprisingly entertaining film/documentary. Usually, documentaries aren't the sort of entertainment I would watch; but this docudrama's main theme exploring 'the rise of technology' and its effect on human lives is encapsulating, intriguing and quite eye-opening.

With COVID making it difficult to get to the cinemas, director Jeff Orlowski is successfully able to balance insightful interviews with an interesting dramatization showing a teenagers addiction to social media. Watching this film there is a lot I can learn and relate to, as I am a heavy user of social media. Specifically Instagram, Facebook and Youtube. The film communicates the mental and social effects of technology on individuals and the rest of the world. Due to discussing how dangerous these social media platforms are; it doesn't deeply cover the issue of what to do instead? or how we can further improve.
What it does do, however, is provides the audience with enough shocking information to then leave the decision up to them.

The previous designers and engineers of these platforms are positive role models. These people have opened their eyes and now aim to protest for change. Technology isn't bad; it's just how some people are using it that they aim to change. Though there are some violent protests and mobs as well as confronting news stories, the documentary is certainly ok for children 12 and up.

To conclude; 'The Social Dilemma' is an extremely chilling; eye-opening film discussing the issues of technology and how it not only affects people's lives but also the future of the planet. I believe that it sets a new standard for how good documentaries should be done.

Teen, 13 years old Written byfancybutterfly September 25, 2020

Impactful Docu

This was an eye-opening docu, however it was a bit slow at times.

Teen, 14 years old Written byTogedemaru23 September 24, 2020

Certainly eye-opening, but is very one-sided.

While yes, it is informative, it leans too much on propaganda and drama instead of actual statistics and facts, making it less believable in the long run. I'm also not a big fan of the "drama-documentary" format. Theoretically, it could work, but the drama part just makes the whole thing feel more manipulative than it needs to be. It's not completely worthless, though. At least I learned some stuff.
Teen, 15 years old Written byheather_chandler September 22, 2020

It got me to thinking...

And this was an amazing movie to watch with your kids. Sure, they may roll their eyes but it got my kids to at least think before they post, and try to stay off of social media where they can get hurt. One of them even deleted tiktok.

Teen, 15 years old Written bymirkat September 21, 2020

Got me thinking!

I watched this with my parents a couple of nights ago and thought this documentary is so informative and really got me thinking.

At first, I thought this would just be all about how social media is terrible for teens and how parents can support them. That is NOT AT ALL THE CASE!

"The Social Dilemma" is so much more than that. It delves into how our society is so dependent on social media and how these big tech companies are essentially using us and our attention and "engagement" as their product.

This documentary has both interviews with people who used to work at many of the big tech giants supplemented with a dramatized story-telling. I found this format more engaging than just plain interviews upon interviews, but the story telling part was a bit cringy. (Although it was a nice surprise to see Kara Hayward in a role!)

I suggest this for kids 12+ because there are some news clips and things like that which are pretty violent (i.e. riots, arrests, shootings, etc.) It's all very brief, though, and the rest of the documentary is so amazing.

Long story short, this documentary was totally eye-opening and I learned so much. Since watching it, I've barely checked my social media and recommended it to all of my friends. Yes, watch this! It will change how you think about democracy, social media, tech giants, and more.

Teen, 13 years old Written bySaltieChips September 21, 2020

Enlightening documentary with suggestive elements

This eye-opening documentary showcases the media in a controversial light. It contains brief disturbing images and mentions of intense, traumatic real-life events. While it may provoke little teen appeal, this film displays positive messages for both young people and older adults.