All parent member reviews for The Social Network

Parent of a 14, 15, and 20 year old Written byrwyoung@pol.net October 14, 2010

Don't send your children to this if you don't want to send the message that it is ok to do drugs, have premarital sex or speak with a foul mouth!!!
Adult Written byMovieMan26 October 12, 2010

Impressive drama along the lines of Catch Me if You Can

This was an excellent film that's really worth seeing. The performances were outstanding! The story was compelling and original, and the pace was quick, but not too quick. Parents: This is a strong PG-13. There's surprisingly graphic sex, drug use, and language. What I would have rated it: R for Drug Use, some Sexuality, and Strong Language. Bottom Line: A great film that should be seen by all. Thanks for reading! - Movie Man
Adult Written byflyswattermovie July 18, 2011

um... R?

Something tells me that the MPAA was drunk or something during the rating of this movie. It uses the word "f--k" twice, involves use of marajuana and cocaine, plus and image of some unidentied pill being popped, and has a scene involving oral sex. Normally, this would be R. But not this movie. I love this movie, but this is one of the movies that the MPAA didn't really rate carefully.
Parent of a 18 year old Written byJesusrulz666 April 17, 2011

Beautiful
Adult Written byConcernedMan September 26, 2010

Don't count it out.

It would be ignorant to say that this film will be bad because of it being about facebook. This isn't just about facebook. It's about the destruction of relationships, it's about a power struggle over success and fame. While it may seem silly to make a movie about a website, it could have easily been about some other business venture. It is being made to display the emotional confrontations between several characters. Btw, the movie is being made by David Fincher. Go look up his directing track record.
Adult Written bysarge123 January 24, 2015

Modern masterpiece has language, brief sex and an overall dark vibe. 15+

The Social Network is an incredible, enthralling and meticulously constructed film, but it isn't suitable for all ages. Sex includes implied Oral Sex in a bathroom stall (very brief, and it cuts away before anything actually happens) and some innuendos that kids may or may not pick up on. Language includes about 2 or 3 F-words, sh*t and other milder curses. The film is also rather emotional and at times, dark. That being said, it's a beautiful and near-flawless movie that will enthral viewers old enough to see it. Some 14's could easily handle it, but it's safest for 15+.
Adult Written bystevenspielbergfan July 18, 2012

Lots of substance abuse.

Teens drink beer and snort cocaine at parties, oral sex is visible. The movie says f**k twice along with nine uses of s**t, and three uses of pu**y and d**k.
Adult Written bydanieldavidpeterson December 23, 2011

A fantastic story.

I'm shocked that people are complaining about the drinking and sex in this movie. The sex hardly came off as anything that isn't PG-13 level since there is no nudity, and at worst, implied oral sex/sex. The drinking doesn't phase me, and while it's not what I'd want my kids to do, it's a college movie. Compared to other ones I've seen (like Superbad) the drinking is quite light. The only drug use that did bug me was the cocaine.
Adult Written byrvnmax August 4, 2011

Great drama but not for the kids.

I was 17 when I watched this film. Another review on this site mentioned the word 'masterpiece', to which I agree. This is a perfect movie for people in their late teens and early twenties who would enjoy it the most. And anyway, I don't think this film is suitable for under 15s, and I couldn't believe the 12 rating which it actually has in the U.K. and PG-13 in U.S. Strongly implied sexuality through dialogue and behaviour. Lots of drinking. Plus, some bad language and illegal drug use. There are a few positive messages in the film, but they aren't the main purpose of the film, this movie should not be a way of teaching children those few morals.
Parent of a 9, 12, and 14 year old Written bymamide3 April 27, 2011

Too much sex, drugs and alcohol

I watched this movie with my 12 and 14 year-old kids. My kids thought it was boring and I thought it had too much sex, drugs and drinking. I would not recommend this movie, especially not to any families with kids and teens.
Educator Written bylibrarygalrpl March 23, 2011

Not a Oscar winning movie!
Adult Written byFitz180 February 5, 2011

Inspiring story, with a dark side

The Social Network on the surface shows the shady somewhat scandalous elements of the establishment of Facebook. It portrays college in the drinking, partying, drug light - really get into the underbelly of college, the drinking and drug use are explicit, but prove true to actual occurrences. There isn't any actual sexual behavior that's to be too concerned about, but the idea of sexuality is a major drive for the characters in the film. The characters in the movie are very complex. Both positive and negative in their own right. All young geniuses that are creating their own empire, on their own. But their actual business ethic is dirty to say the least and may not be the nicest people you meet. But the accomplishments they've made are inspiring, especially to the current generation growing up with the internet. Good movie for highschool age who'd understand concepts, but hits some deeper meanings in motivation, watch it at home with your kid and talk about the actual events if you know about them.
Adult Written byLMEDDY January 13, 2011

Good redbox rental for a dollar

Although the story was mildly interesting, for a pg-13 movie it's racy, has lots of swearing and the sexuality and drug use is a theme throughout the movie. I somewhat enjoyed it as an adult, however, the main character is abrasive and the messages are not positive at all. Another movie showing young people acting badly.
Adult Written byThat Guy Over There January 11, 2011

the social network

Wow... I have to say most of you are really overreacting. The sex scene was explicit? You have to be kidding me. You see them kissing, it cuts to her unbuttoning his pants... That's it! I was slightly surprised that it said the f word twice. But don't worry. Your kids say it behind your back and at school. Trust me.. Oh, one last thing. The drinking and drugs pretty much portray college correctly. It's what happens. If you want your kids to go, they'll see it anyway.
Parent of a 7, 12, and 15 year old Written bySpielguy October 12, 2010

Why change history? Why so much crap?

This movie fictionalizes the creation of Facebook by Mark Zuckerberg and others. Unfortunately it shows too much and the language, sex and drugs are very graphic. Add to that the obvious deviations from what actually took place and you have a very mediocre movie.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byNatalieRenae October 9, 2010

Loved the integillance/entrepreneur spirit of the Facebook founder, however content really stretched PG13! I was very disturbed by the reckless drinking, sexuality, language, drugs while watching w my soon to be 13 yr old who was aspiring to go to Harvard one day ! Movie should be rated R
Adult Written byyellowmom October 2, 2010

I saw this movie because I'm interested in the story, but the overt sexuality was unnecessary in my mind. Girls making out, implied oral sex, etc. Also, I think some teens would glamorize the lifestyle and the players. The language, drug use and sexuality make this a movie I would not want anyone under 16 seeing. And if my child saw it, I would want to discuss how making money doesn't come easy and greed kills relationships.