Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for The Space Between Us

Teen sci-fi romance is sweet, if not out of this world.

Parent Written byCarefulParent February 6, 2017

Overall Mild Content But Requires a Parent

This movie goes a little light on the science, and even commits a few unnecessary blunders that older kids (and many adults) may spot. The plot mostly centers around the distress felt by the first person born somewhere other than Earth who isn't sure just where he belongs or how to relate to others. The interactions between the teen heroes are pretty tame, except for one very brief scene. Younger kids won't think much of it, but pre-teens and older will be a little more clued into what could be implied when the camera pans away (thus the reason for a parent to attend and explain). There is a suggestion of physical danger in several scenes that makes the movie more exciting, but even younger kids should be fine with that. The movie is a bit long but finishes very positively and reassuringly.

Adult Written byNeversideFaerie March 5, 2018

Reckless behaviour from teens

For the most part, this movie is pretty clean. There's only a handful of swear words and I don’t recall any violence. However, the two main characters (who are about 16) engage in some unlawful activities that are hardly justified by context. They use money that isn't theirs, steal two cars whilst on the run from the authorities and I was especially shocked by one scene where they camped in the open during their journey...and had sex. The scene wasn't particularly graphic - it just had some implied nudity - but it left me thinking, "What?! I thought they were underage! They shouldn't be allowed to show minors having sex, especially without consequences!" The girl character didn't get pregnant or anything later, even though I doubt they used protection. I mean, I know sex doesn't guarantee pregnancy, but what kind of message is this film trying to send to young people? Many teenage parents once thought they were going to be in the percentage of people who have sex once without apparent consequences... I wouldn't recommend this to impressionable young people who would think the protagonists' actions are acceptable. Their irresponsibility makes their relationship hardly one to strive for. If you want to watch a sci-fi romance film that has good messages for young viewers, you can't go wrong with "Edward Scissorhands".

Adult Written byMarisa M. June 3, 2017

Amazing

Me and my best friend adored this movie.
Adult Written byUtab20 April 12, 2017

Heart Felt

Just all together the movie was great, the connection the adventure. I think it could have done with a little less theft but they had to do what they felt was right to get to where they wanted to go.
Adult Written byJunaid2910 February 11, 2019

An amazing and emotional sci-fi romantic film

The film was overall good Hats off to asa and brit although gary was not that much good The only problem for me is that the film don't have good dialogues. Im eagerly waiting for the sequel coz the space is still there!!