Kid reviews for The Spiderwick Chronicles

Book-based family fantasy is magical fun but also scary.

Teen, 13 years old Written byYeah. February 27, 2011

Check my page for other great recommendations.

I'm not here to give a review because if it shows up on my page its a 5 star movie and so therefore you know what i think about it.

Teen, 13 years old Written byLittle movie freak June 1, 2010

Fun fantasy film is too scary and iffy 4 ages 8 - 10 !

(the Spiderwick Chronicles) is a fun fantasy film that is a bit too scary and iffy 4 ages 8 - 10 ! This fantasy film is an enjoyable,entertaining,and cool. There are intense scary action/violence/peril that 6 - 7 yr old children will be upset/frightening by. I think that childern ages 8 - 10 will be somewhat frightening by the scary battle sequences and possibly at the final battle at the last 15 - 20 minutes of the movie. I have already seen this movie twice and I gave a 3 1/2 (out of four stars)stars/ 4 1/2(out of five stars)stars/ an A -.

Kid, 11 years old April 20, 2013

GREAT FANTASY EPIC: THE SPIDERWICK CHRONICLES

A great adaption from the book! Content Guide: VIOLENCE: 6/10. Creepy music is played. Mallory fights goblins with her sword, slashing at them. Green goblin blood is seen on her blade. Simon is bitten by a goblin. A bit of blood is seen on the wound. Later, Jared and Mallory heal it with an antidote. Scenes when Mulgarath transforms into an ogre can be scary. The final battle sequence is a bit to intense for PG. Goblins are slashed by cleavers and knives, with goblin blood. They are also sprayed with tomato sauce. After they are sprayed, they melt w/ goblin blood, mostly off-screen. An ogre is stabbed, and then chases Jared onto the roof of the house. SPOILERS: Hogsqueal then eats the ogre when it's in a bird form. Lots of great special effects and acting! A blast! My MPAA rating: PG-13 FOR SCARY AND INTENSE FANTASY/CREATURE VIOLENCE, AND PERIL. NOTE: Fine for mature 8-year-olds, and great for 9+. Not for ages 7 and under. Read content guide.

Teen, 16 years old Written byhomealonefan123 November 3, 2012

fun

fun, mystacal movie is great for the whole family!
Kid, 9 years old June 17, 2011

great for six

I saw this movie when i was in KINDERGARTEN!

Kid, 7 years old July 9, 2010
Kid, 11 years old January 6, 2018

Can be scary and violent (spoilers ahead)

So, it is scary and violent at times. Ogre bites kids leg. Gets a huge scar. And his sister starts crying and dumps hydrogen peroxide on his leg. It gets more scary later. I like the kids working together to save their house.

Teen, 14 years old Written byKingRobert December 25, 2017

So good

Violence is kinda a gross out, no sex, some name calling, that's about it.

Teen, 17 years old Written byUsrthea December 18, 2017

Couldn’t be anymore up my alley!

When the Spiderwick Chronicles came to theaters when I was 7 it was all the rage! Everyone in my second grade class was talking about it! My sister (who was 6 at the time) and I went to see it in theaters and ever since then it’s been one of our favorite movies! After the Spiderwick Chronicles came out my sister and I bonded over it for many years to come, not just by watching the movie together, but also by going on fairy and goblin hunts together in the woods! This movie has led to many treasured childhood memories for me and my sister! (Recently my sister was going through some old stuff in her room and found a old bag of salt we would use when going on goblin hunts over a decade ago, good times!) I love how the movie portrays the fantasy creatures accurately to the folklore they that come from. (ie. salt (and circles of salt) really are used to ward off certain creatures in folklore. (not sure about tomato sauce though) They also got the Fairy Ring, the “Magic Circle”, Faeries, Sprites, Adder Stone, RedCap, and the Brownie right too! And that’s just in the movie, there’s way more in the books!) we’ve also read all the books and those are great too. Overall the Spiderwick Chronicles (the books and movie) couldn’t be anymore up my alley! Fantasy, adventure, action and supernatural phenomenon in an old abandoned house in the woods has always been the most appealing kind of stories to me! I wish there were more movies like this. I recommend the Spiderwick Chronicles to anyone who enjoys dark fantasy and adventure stories but if your kid is sensitive you might want to wait a few years since there is some violence and blood and some of the monsters could be scary to really sensitive kids. EDIT: To the reviewers out there that are bashing this movie because Jared stabbed his “dad” for telling him he loves him, because Jared doesn’t think his real dad loves him so he stabbed him, you’re wrong! Jared didn’t stab his “dad” for telling him he loves him, he stabbed him because he knew that wasn’t his dad and was actually Mulgarath in disguise. Jared was suspicious that this wasn’t his real dad so he decided to test him by asking him a question that only his real dad would know the answer to, and his “dad” answered “I love you” which wasn’t the correct answer so Jared stabbed him because he knew that wasn’t his real dad. I’m honestly shocked at how many adults didn’t “get” this scene since my sister and I got it the first time we watched it at ages 7 and 6.

Kid, 9 years old October 18, 2016

!!!!!!!!!

Best. Movie. EVER!

Kid, 9 years old November 28, 2015

exciting and mysterious

It was a good movie. Includes ogres and creatures of all sorts. Scary but not too scary.

Kid, 12 years old August 2, 2015

Really Good Movie !!

I think that so far it tops on my favorite movies EVER ! it has a great plot and characters are great actors, the script is well done and the story altogether is fascinating ! I read the other reviews on here ... its scary ? me and my 22 year old uncle watched it and I never watched any horror movie in my life since i grew up traumatized of horror movies, I'mm saying there is not one part where i covered my eyes or screamed. so go for it but I just said 11+ because of the other reviews, my REAL opinion is 8+, I think I can handle that so can any 8,9,10 year old too ! :D your welcome :D

Teen, 13 years old Written byHweetseart April 23, 2015

Scaaaary

Tween-friendly, but not for younger kids

Kid, 11 years old February 27, 2015

Really good! I saw it at 6 years old.

This is a great movie. How ever very tense. Some parts may be considered scary to young kids. But nothing is shown that is violent or to scary for kids over 8.
Kid, 9 years old September 3, 2012

Great but really more of a boys movie

This movie was awesome its a little scary but not to the point where kids would be clung to there parents twenty four seven. One time I tried showing this to my 6 year old cousin who is a girl without knowing its not for 6 year old girls... BOOM! She was in tears. But don't think this will happen with everyone the movie never bothered me or gave me nightmares. But maybe because I am a 9 year old boy, most boys will love this movie but just to be safe so that there will be no bombs,they should be at least 8 years old. I've shown this movie to lots of people all the boys loved it and all the girls disliked it except 2 one liked it and my mom,... HATES it! But really it is a great movie it's just more fore boys.

Teen, 13 years old Written bypoe-ette February 16, 2012

Beautiful but violent.

Violence includes: a goblin being stabbed semi-graphically in the eye, he covers it, but in a gross close-up you see the drooling, bloody socket. several goblins being slashed/stabbed in quick flashes, green blood spatters. giant troll gets stabbed in the eye then later run over by a truck, green blood splattered on the mirror. The most horrible scene is the climax when goblins are stepped on, stabbed, and burned with tomato juice. At one point, one is sprayed from above, and it's charred body falls on a character. In an extremely shocking misunderstanding, Jared stabs his "father". Later, he chops off Mulgrath's fingers(onscreen) and a sharp pin through his hand. Not any language except a goblin realizes he's about to be killed and he says "Oh sh" and eveything explodes. No sex. Great, strong, cheerful role models Kind of educationnal, your kid learns about myths. Positive messages of siblings working together. No drugs/drinking Not much noticable product placement PS: fourleggedninja WRONG! He knows his father isn't his father when he get's all grabby about the book.

Educational Value
Teen, 15 years old Written bychargnar February 5, 2012

It's Alright

The movie is good, but Freddie Highmore's American accent is too fake

Educational Value
Kid, 12 years old August 2, 2011

what i think...

i liked this movie but i also think they should have left out some of the violence

Kid, 10 years old June 27, 2011

One of the Best

Probably one of the best movies I've ever seen! Although it had the H word in it, really? It's still one of the best, although it would be way too scary for little kids, for kids 10+, it's a must see.

Kid, 9 years old June 5, 2011

awsome very good

very good movie I had just got it ive been wachting it over and over again