So, this review is going to have two parts- a review and a rant. First, the review.
I've grown up with Spongebob. It was a huge chunk of my childhood. Heck, my first sentence ever was when my mom turned Spongebob off to go to bed and I said "More Spongebob please." (Well, it sounded a lot more like "Mo Bumbob pls.") I never really understood why I loved it, I just did (the older episodes, which I find much more charming and loveable.) I had VHS, the DVD to this movie (which froze when the huge serpentine sea monster came on stage) and even a huge doll. I was obsessed. I think I recall my dad telling me he actually took me to see this movie when it came out, but I don't remember seeing as I was only 2. But honestly, I love every part of this movie. It sends a great message (trust yourself) and it's honestly adorable under all the hilarity, like Spongebob and Patrick getting 'drunk' on ice cream and then getting 'hungover' and Squidward saying how he can't be fooled as he listens to public radio. And, honestly, even as a 12 year old, I still cry when Spongebob and Patrick dry up. This may just be the nostalgia talking, but I can still say I love and recommend this movie.
Now if you just wanted to see if this was ok for your kid, I say a wholehearted YES! Now you can leave. But if you want to hear a rant continue.
Honestly, I think this is Babies R' US up in here! But rather than point out what's wrong with what parent's think, I'm just going to quote some parental reviews. (Honestly, I've seen only a bit worse, as somebody wrote that Land before Time was inappropriate for ages 17 and up.)
1. 'The first problem was when Spongebob's pants fell off, reveling his naked bottom. I covered my 8yr old's eyes when that happened.' Honestly, it's a CARTOON. A CARTOON. If this is offensive better not let your kids watch Elmo because HE'S NAKED OMG!!!!!!!!!!!
2. 'They rest of the movie was very violent' What was violent? Except maybe the Thug Tug and Big Boot/Bigger Boot. This person is basically saying that blowing bubbles is very violent.
3. 'He has a major attitude problem, is mouthy, and is everything we don't want our children to be.' So you don't want your kids to be a bubbly, happy-go-lucky person that believes against all odds that they can do something?
4. 'Has hidden adult humor all throughout the show that kids just don't get yet. Let your kid watch this, they'll grow up violent and stupid.' Adult humor is put in there so adults can have a little chuckle while being forced to watch cartoons. And if the kids don't get it, how will they grow up to be 'violent and stupid'? P.S. I've never fought anyone in my life and I go to a gifted school.
4. 'Really bad movie. It made my kids' autism worse. Not to mention there's a pornographic scene which reveals Patrick's shiny fishy butt. Spongebob and Patrick also get drugged up, and a character says the d word.' 1. That's impossible. 2. It's a cartoon. 3. I have no idea what you're talking about. 4. You sound like a little kid.
One last note. I have a friend, and a girl on her street has overprotective parents. She can only watch G movies and recently learned how to ride a bike. She is about 10. We make fun of her like you couldn't believe. Don't let your kid be a laughingstock.
What other families should know