All parent member reviews for The Strangers

Adult Written byM&M1995 July 28, 2014

Horror movie with believable premise is more suspenseful than scary.

I saw The Strangers on my 13th birthday when it was first released in theatres, and the content was actually pretty tame. The film starts off calm and serene, and then quickly kicks off into a thrilling, heart-stopping ride. There is no blood or gore (except for the last scene), and the movie is not exceptionally scary. The Strangers is very heavy on the creepy factor though, and it has a few jump scares. The main characters in the movie curse when they are under intense stress and fear. There is no sexual content in the film, however at the beginning the couple are seen having a somewhat romantic evening and drinking wine. There are a few kisses as well. Overall a good horror flick that is not too terrifying for younger teens.
Adult Written bychristian2011 August 31, 2013

Psychologically disturbing horror film based on true events. Not for younger teens nor the squeamish.

The Strangers is a seriously scary horror film that brings psychologically-inducing fear and terror throughout the film, with thought-provoking and disturbing themes brought on my the masked assailants. The acting performed by Speedman and Tyler was great yet surreal - brings on a highly realistic edge where they're actually being caught in the situation, plus makes the film even more scarier. This movie isn't like other horror films where it's mostly a teenage or college level cast where there's monsters or demonic apparitions'. The plot revolves around a recently married adult couple whom goes to a secluded country home out in a very eerie and incoherent forest, where everything takes a turn for the worst when a disturbed woman knocks on their front door. Then, after the incident, three masked assailants begin to terrorize and invade their home, with evil intentions. The violence doesn't happen often, but when it does, it's very graphic and shocking. Language isn't that bad - couple uses of profanity, and some highly intimate sensual moments between the couple.
Adult Written bywonder dove February 2, 2013

Not worth my time...

I didn't exactly like this movie that much. I love horror films, but this one took too long to get started and then ended too quickly. It didn't have much of a story either. Sure it's quite scary but that's because of the extreme violence. Still, there is pretty much no action. I would not watch it again and I'm pretty sorry I bought it on a whim. Liv Tyler is an excellent actress, so I gave this 2 stars! Language has the use of some "f" words throughout. Violence consists of stabbings, shootings, beatings and lots of gore. Sexual stuff includes undressing while kissing until something ruins the mood. Not much else. There is also some drinking & smoking. If you like thrilling, edge-of-your-seat fun with an actual story, this is not it! Definitely not for kids under 16!
Parent Written bycamiller77 June 27, 2011

a Reveiw With a Story

It is an intense horror movie. Lots of pop out sences and it gets your heart pumping. I was watching it and my six year old son was sitting there while i was watching and i thought he was sleeping, but it turns out he was not and he was freaked out. I should have just put him to bed before i watched it.
Parent Written byPlague April 15, 2010

The Strangers

Probably one of the most entertaining horrors I have seen in years. Very heart-pounding, eerie, and intense moments.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byking hulk January 25, 2010

i hated it it was one of the worst movies i have ever seen it started out kind of creepy but towards the middle and end it was just a bunch of gore and violince i wish i hadnt seen it
Adult Written byNICKYNICK67 December 22, 2009

Older, but actually depends on how easily scared they get

I thought this movie would be a good 15 + Because: it's not as violent as I thought :language isn't too much for a rated R film But....... it's really scary and terrifying too many
Parent of a 13 year old Written bymewally September 3, 2009

Adult Written byfarrell1 May 2, 2009

good scary triller. this movie was a very scary releaf after all those bloody movies. terrifing and not all bloody. FINALY
Parent of a 2, 10, 14, 15, and 24 year old Written byilovemovies567 January 28, 2009

So good!

very good movie for 10+. classic horror flick. mild violence and language
Adult Written byCAllen0804 January 24, 2009

Pointless

This movie didn't have much of a plot, it was just a bunch of senseless gore. It was pretty scary, but mostly it just left me feeling sick to my stomach. Total waste of money.
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

I Regretted

The suspense started building up at the very beginning,but when it was nearing the end of the movie, you really hope that it would not end, not because that the movie was good but because it seems that the show was going to end without a story. And true enough, there was no storyline, I really didn't understand what was the purpose of the killing amd torturing. I definitely regretting watching it and wouldn't even want anyone to know I watched it.....
Adult Written byhunni.sally April 9, 2008

Keeps you Watching then you wish you hadn't

The movie strangers started out good. The knocks on the door were frightning but the whole movie was just two people running in and out of the house. The masks made the movie more scary and just the fact that the masked people kept poping up that would actully creep you out. i noticed alot of things that were wrong in the movie like the fact that the knocks on the door start at 4 in the morning and its pitch black the whole movie.Also you can talk on the phone while it is charging. The irreated me to.I wish i hadn't watched it!
Adult Written bymovie-veiwer April 9, 2008

Adult Written byourfavethings April 9, 2008

Not as bad as most modern horror movies

My 14-year-old daughter and I saw this movie together. She spent more time laughing at the woman behind us who screamed a few times than she did being scared of the movie. While there is some blood and gore in the movie, this is not a splatter or torture movie. Instead, this movie builds up genuine suspense and terror without being too gory. In fact, some of the scariest moments involve no blood at all. If your younger teen watches shows like CSI, s/he should have no problem with this movie.