Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for The To Do List

Hilarious teen sex comedy has lots of raunch, drinking.

Adult Written bywonder dove November 30, 2013

Hilarious for 17+

Like most, I thought this film was going to suck. Surprisingly, I enjoyed it. As inappropriate as it is, it was still hilarious and definitely something you don't want to take too seriously. Yes, it's a bad message for teens especially the ones who are easily influenced, but this film is suited for mature 17+ only. It's extremely raunchy, in a strictly humorous way. Aubrey Plaza plays Brandy Klark, an average looking insecure teenager who is often teased about being a virgin. Feeling a little out of the box, she finally decides to gain more knowledge about sex before going to college in the fall by not only researching, but getting extra advice from her more experienced sister, Amber (Rachel Bilson). Brandy writes a "to do" list of every sexual act she learns of and hopes to check-off each one by summer's end. She uses multiple partners for each act and even hurts her school buddy Cameron (Johnny Simmons) by doing her first act with and then ditching him when he actually has feelings for her. But Brandy has her eye on a hunky co-worker at a local pool, Rusty (Scott Porter) who she desperately tries to impress. When Brandy loses her two best girlfriends Fiona and Wendy, and her job, she realizes she has gone too far. But can she win back respect from her friends and from Cameron? The language is very strong and explicit with non-stop f-words, sh*t, @ss, b*tch, d*ck and tons of sexually related words. Violence includes a fight in a parking lot, characters argue loudly, angry outbursts between sisters, hurtful comments. Sexual content is extremely strong with discussions about sex (including awkward advice from parents) and explicit acts, a girl is shown with multiple partners throughout, about three sex scenes shown (no nudity), many oral sex scenes shown along with some moaning, a guy prances around shirtless in most of his scenes, there's kissing and groping. There is plenty of drinking, a certain character drinks a lot. Some non-graphic drug use (pot) and smoking. Fun movie to kill time with but definitely not for teens under 17!

Adult Written bylauralebreton January 31, 2015

Interesting.

While watching the To-Do list, I saw myself in Brandi's place. The film emulates what teenagers go through growing up. The sexuality in this film is a reflection of the pressures of teen sex, regardless of the time. Don't get me wrong, this film is hilarious because of its colourful characters and the storyline itself, and there is an underlying message that strengthens the importance of friendship above romantic relationship that I believe girls especially can benefit from. Obviously I can only speak for myself, and if you, a parent, are uncomfortable with the heavy mentions of sex or the sex itself then consider not allowing your child not to watch it, HOWEVER, I feel as if the audience for this would be okay for persons aged 17 years and older.
Parent of a 7, 9, 9, and 10 year old Written byILoveMYKids3333 August 26, 2013

The To Do List: Pretend This Movie never came out.

Disappointing Movie. Too much Sexual Stuff, Way To Much Language, And Too Much Drug Use. Me and my husband hated this. had to get a sitter for our kids. worst 100 minutes of stupid movies in my life. worst movie ever. only 16 and up should be watching this.

Adult Written byjaymiem11 February 23, 2016
Parent of a 6 and 11 year old Written byKeegs M July 22, 2016

Hilarious Comedy Full Of Sex!

I Absolutely Enjoyed The Film, But No Question Its For Older Teens. The To Do List is chock-full of sex, drinking, and drama which was much expected. The film is a great one and can make you cringe at times, but that's the fun of it. Being a huge Aubrey Plaza fan I loved the story all the way through. Would Recommend!