Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for The Water Horse: Legend of the Deep

Predictable family fantasy not as good as book.

Adult Written byDr.Pepper November 20, 2010

An okay movie

There was plenty of action and danger that may be frightening to young children. The language is mild and limited to a couple of "hell"'s and "[email protected]"'s as well as several "bloody"'s. There is also lots of smoking, but the movie takes place in a time when it was more acceptable.

Parent of a 7 year old Written byJRinGeorgia April 9, 2008

lots of explosions

This is an OK kids movie. The problem is that the trailer leads you to believe it is all about the boy and the creature he finds. It is, but it does not forewarn that the movie is full of explosions, cannons being fired at the creature, guns, military, etc. A whole lot of this. Plus, older unmarried people kissing and suggestive of more, and use of the words "ass" and "hell." I don't mind any of these, but it was more than I wanted my 6 year old to see.
Parent Written byewe2lambs September 11, 2011

GREAT!!

We thought it was great - kids loved it, and of course the scenery is wonderful, some dodgy accents but the majority of folk wont notice that, not as good as the book, but is any film as good as the book? We really loved it and I could just listen to "ya' wally" a hundred times over - lol
Adult Written byaamaseas April 9, 2008

my 7 year old neice was scared and sad the whole time

this movie is too mature and scary for kids on the young side. it is a sensitive story and had my 7 year old neice scared and crying the whole time for the "water horse".
Adult Written byMrPowell April 9, 2008
Adult Written byjoesmom April 9, 2008

Good but a little scary

My 6-year old enjoyed this movie, though some of the darker scenes were a bit scary (and loud) for him - the water horse definitely was only 'cute' at the beginning and became a scarier creature than the movie trailer suggested. The scenery was beautiful though and the film was well-made.
Adult Written byMomNewYork April 9, 2008

Dark Movie

PR/Adv agency was crazy to compare it to ET. This was not a feel-good, fun movie. There were young kids crying, scared, etc. Dark and scarey. The "monster" was not cute once he grew up. My daughter (7) said, "too violent." Hated the war/gun scenes. Didn't like the darkness and lightning. And she never gets scared at movies.
Adult Written bysmaxvill April 9, 2008

Gotta see the water horse

I took my two kids(1 boy and 1 girl) and my mother to see this movie. It was a change from any other movie that we have seen. I loved the setting and the characters were great. The water horse was adorable-my daughter wanted one when we got home. There was a little gun firing but it was not bad. You know that the good guy is going to win. My son did get a little concerned because they were shooting at him, but it kept you on the edge of your seat. All and All I loved the movie. It is a very clean movie to take your family to. I think children under 7 may loose the story line, but the water horse was worth seeing when he was a baby and the little games that he plays with the kids in the movie. You laugh and cry in this movie. Its a great one.
Parent Written byzeuann April 9, 2008

Good family movie, but a little scary at times for little ones

Went to see today. Not exactly what I was expecting, but it was good. The whole family said they really enjoyed it. However my 4yo was little bored about 1/2 way thru and the WW2 info was a little confusing for my 8yo, so we had a little history lesson after the movie. Beware if your kids don't like loud noises, they scared my kids a little. But this is a nice family movie that you don't have to worry about language or improper behavior.
Parent Written bybje July 11, 2015

Intense

Adult Written byDRDAVE3855 September 5, 2015

Crap remakes

This is just another example of a movie makers inability, to make an original movie. Same location as Loch Ness, staring Ted Danson, Joely Richardson, and was made in 1996. It was a good movie, with a happy ending. ( It was so good, I ordered a DVD of it from Amazon) So in 2007, some putz comes up with the idea of making a movie about the Loch Ness Creature, only in this movie, we'll shoot a cannon at it. Well, it is a threat to airline travel. They even go so far as to use the same location, as the 96 film. If you want to see a good movie about Loch Ness, buy the DVD, entitled, Loch Ness. This piece of dung, called, The Water Horse is a bird cage liner. Good job ladies, The Water Horse, produced in 2007 is pure crap. I would tell you how I really feel, those morons won't publish it. What should other families know about this? Ah, you don't have a catagory, that accurately describes this pathetic remake of what was once a great movie.
Adult Written byneka83 April 9, 2008
I took my 4 year old daughter, and she absolutley was glued to her seat for once. The water horse is too scary for the younger children like mine. The water horse was cute as a baby, but torns into a huge monster later on... The scenery was excellent, but very military based movie. Great for older kids, but not a sweet feeling movie if that's what your looking for.
Adult Written bydkiss April 9, 2008

Great Take on Loch Ness Monster

Saw this with my six-year-old on Christmas Day. Very heart-warming and well thought out story. Will absolutely buy for my son when it comes out on DVD.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bybbarbot April 9, 2008

Great family flick

My six-year-old boy loved it the first - and second - times he saw it. It's a bit of a tear-jerker for parents, as a young boy comes to terms with the loss of both his father and the need to respect the wildness of his friend the Water Horse. But for kids, it's a wonderful fantasy about conquering fear (young Angus is terrified of the water until the Water Horse takes him for an amazing ride), loyalty (Angus is willing to give his life for his friend), and friendship (Angus builds relationships with his sister and with the new caretaker, who share the secret of the Water Horse). All in all, plenty to enjoy for adults and kids who are mature enough to filter out the complexities of the war-time setting to focus on the simple messages, engaging special effects, and action sequences.
Adult Written bywonder dove March 11, 2009

The water.....Monster!

I found this movie extremely entertaining! It is definitely appropriate for all ages, however like others have stated, it may be too scary for younger kids. Pre-teens and adults will love this one if they're into fantasy but I say 6 and up anyway! Great story about a small boy who secretly finds and raises a water horse and becomes best friends, until the water horse later becomes a giant! Then he must let him go. It's full of joy but has it's sad moments. Must watch film....with a tissue box at hand :)
Adult Written bypaulacs April 9, 2008
Parent of a 7 year old Written byeswanson April 9, 2008

Leave little/sensitive ones at home

As other reviewers have said, there are very scary and/or suspensful bits in this movie. 7yo son closed eyes and covered ears at several points. This movie would be great for the vast majority of 10 year olds and SOME 7 to 9 year olds but the 6-and-unders need to stay home unless you want to risk leaving the theatre in tears. Personally, I enjoyed it - good acting, good animation, beautiful scenery.
Parent of a 8 and 8 year old Written byEzri_B April 9, 2008

Finally good old fashioned family movie!

My 8 year old was really talked us into this movie. We went and we all loved it! A 7, 8, 11, 29, and 34 year old all loved it! There wasn't much violence, there was a bit of peril, but now real violence. The only questionable language was really more local, so my kids didn't really get it, but it wasn't that bad anyway. It was really just a feel good movie. It's about time!
Parent Written byBecky L. August 7, 2017

Great Movie

My family likes movies about dragons and dinosaurs, and this was along those lines. It was a great movie with some Adventure without being too scary for my youngest.
Parent of a 10 and 13 year old Written bymarfen March 17, 2010