Parent reviews for The Way Back (2020)

The Way Back (2020) Poster Image

The way back

Not for kids

1 person found this helpful.

The Way Back - Gets a Little Lost

Looking like it might have offered a different take on an old theme this one just misses the mark. As a study of alcoholism, it comes near to saying something but a somewhat unnecessarily grotty script lets it down. Sordid jokes and a swear-fest approach did not help in this situation. Ben Affleck was suitably morose and must have felt like he might have been mirroring parts of his own life. One of the most outstanding attributes that helped lift this work to a higher level is a sensitive and different kind of music score. For this feature, Award-nominated composer Rob Simonsen has created a thoughtful score that almost works against the normal flow (in the best possible way) His music highlights the sadness and angst being experienced by those involved. The imaginative arrangements also set this score apart to maximum effect. Maybe it’s a score looking for a better film. The basketball theme is rather tired and clichéd and having the young players mouthing such platitudes like “let’s win this f...’in game for the coach” took this script from the hoop, to the waste-basket. While it might offer something to the sporty types or those looking for a so-called up-lifter, others may have to work harder at getting much out of it. There’s some nice photography here and there, and the director tries hard but could have benefited from a smarter script.

Dark sad movie

Hard to watch movie about a horribly sad situation. Ben Afflick is a great actor, but you just end up feeling so sad the WHOLE movie. I watched it yesterday, and I woke up this morning, still feeling bad about it. Very strong language, and a real honest look at alcoholism. Not for kids.

My 12 yr old (daughter) and 13 yr old son watched it with me. I'd say it's perfectly fine, 2 dirty jokes in passing, lots of cursing, lots of drinking. But somehow not offensive. I guess it's going to depend on parents comfort level with the above stuff.

Good for older kids but NOT for young kids

I took my 14 year old son to go see this movie because he loves basketball. I heard that there is a lot of swearing in this movie but after the movie I didn't think it was that bad so then I decided to take my other son who is 12 and he didn't care about the swearing at all. The movie did have some positive messages but not strong enough for a 10 year old kid to go see. I think you should take your pre-teen or teen to go see this movie.This movie will always hold a special place in my heart