All parent member reviews for The Wizard of Oz

Parent of an infant, 4, and 7 year old Written bymommyof3lil1s August 31, 2010

Classic

I loved this movie as a child and although my 7 year old is afraid of the flying monkeys and the wicked witch, my 4 year old LOVES it!!
Parent of a 6, 7, 9, and 11 year old Written bymbingh January 13, 2011
Not for kids under 10 - too much violence- I know todays standards are different, but kids are still kids, and the idea of witches killing each other and retaliation against Dorothy and flying monkeys pulling the scarecrow apart was too much for my 6 and 9 year old
Adult Written byyuri13 September 28, 2015

One of the greatest films ever made.

You will got great messages about trust in yourself and believe in your qualities.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byeswanson April 9, 2008

Good but beware the scary bits

This movie terrified me as a kid and still disturbs me. I recommend it for older kids b/c the young ones may have trouble sorting out fantasy from reality. If they don't understand it's all a dream, there's lots that can cause nightmares - houses falling on people, being separated from your family, flying monkeys, etc. Spectacular visuals - especially for it's time - but best for 10 year olds with the lights on.
Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written byMomma Mae January 3, 2010

It's an all around family movie.

When your watching it with your children. They ask questions or make comments. It's good to let your children explore their own mind and their own thoughts on the movie. Talk to them when it's over. I love this movie and suggest it for children that can understand it.
Parent of an infant, infant, infant, 10, 10, and 18 year old Written byParentofwisdom September 7, 2013

Scary for witch nightmares

Kind of scary for younger kids because of witch
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written bymomanddad of O and L May 24, 2013

Great movie after all these years!!

Parent of a 5 year old Written byCARING-MOM October 4, 2009

Love this classic - just a touch scary!

My daughter first watched this movie at 4-1/2 years old. She completely loved it, and was not even scared by the flying monkeys that used to creep me out when I was a kid. She was only upset by the thought that the Witch would take Toto away from Dorothy! Love the movie and especially the music!
Parent of a 17 year old Written byBonkersfan1995 March 22, 2013

Somewhere Over The Rainbow

The Wizard of Oz is one of my favorite childhood films of all time! The Wicked Witch of the East is too scary for young kids. It features songs and costumes from the movie. We're off to see the wizard, the wonderful Wizard Of Oz! :(
Parent of a 5 year old Written bymamabootsy September 30, 2010
Parent of a 4 and 9 year old Written bymichugalug August 22, 2009

Wonderful Timeless Children's Classic

Wonderful movie. One of the very best of all time! No need to rush it on the age. The kids can get very scared at some parts so wait till they're a little older.
Adult Written bytommysportsgirl April 9, 2008
absolutely one of the best movies ever made!!!!
Adult Written byLowe's man April 10, 2014

Should be watched by everyone at least once every few years.

Parts of this movie may be frightening for preschoolers. An excellent choice, though, for those 5 and up. The singing, dancing, acting and color schemes can't be beaten compared to other movies from any era. But above all is teamwork. When all worked together they were able to get the broomstick of The Wicked Witch of The West. Moreover, while Scarecrow didn't physically have a brain, Woodman didn't physically have a heart, and the Lion didn't physically have courage, each had all of those qualities mentally, proving that what you don't have physically can sometimes be made up for with what you have mentally. A classic. Highly recommended.
Educator Written byWaluigitime February 19, 2014

The Wizard of Oz

Great Movie! Great soundtrack to spin to!
Adult Written byTrami Nguyen September 21, 2013

The Wizard of Oz is an awesome movie I ever have!

I want to see "Somewhere Over The Rainbow (1939)" by Judy Garland (from The Wizard of Oz) is a similar to "Part of Your World (1989)" by Jodie Benson (from Disney's The Little Mermaid), because I like MGM/Warren Brothers song is a same as Disney song.
Adult Written byJEDI micah March 8, 2013

BELOVED CLASSIC!!!

Do I really need to make a review on the most famous and beloved family movie of all time?! Not really. So all I can say is that even though this movie is over 6 decades old, it is still an amazing movie that all families enjoy!
Parent of a 7 year old Written byButterflyFlame January 19, 2013

Some Scary Scenes

I have been wanting my 7 year old to watch this movie for a while, but I was not sure about the Flying Monkeys or the Witches scenes. I eventually thought she might be at an age where she could watch it, but I told her about the scenes beforehand and she made the decision herself to watch the movie. My daughter loved the singing and dancing and she was not scared of the scary scenes. I think that parents should make the decision themselves knowing what their child can handle. I felt that my daughter would not of been ready to watch it under the age of 6.
Educator and Parent Written byCommonSenseChristian January 1, 2013

Take a Trip Down the Yellow Brick Road...You'll be Glad You Did

A true slice of Americana, this film expertly mixes fairytale with the reality of a loving family and home. (This is a good opener to teach kids about the loving potential of non-traditional families, since Dorothy lives with her uncle and aunt). Dorothy often takes on the "helpless damsel" role--somewhat justified in that she's supposed to be a little kid--but is generally kind, generous, and loyal to her friends. Those friends provide positive role models too, as they learn that what they wanted, they already had in spades, and can pass on to others. Common sense would dictate knowing your youngest kids before popping this one in the DVD player. The witch can be scary, as can her minions (I remember being so creeped out by her deep-throated guards, my mom had to fast-forward that part). The Lion's intro scene could be a little disconcerting, too, as could the tornado. But I'd recommend introducing your whole family to Oz as soon as everyone is ready.
Adult Written byChuck Reid March 16, 2012

Fun for the whole family!

This movies is pretty cool.I wacthed it at my friends house and it ROCKED.Buy it or rent it today!
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byNMCMom January 1, 2012

Never grows old!

I remember finding the witch scenes very intense as a kid, so waited until my youngest was 5 1/2 to see it. She wasn't scared at all, and I wish we had watched it sooner! She is a huge fan and has asked to watch again and again. It has also sparked lots of singing and imaginative play!