Parent and Kid Reviews on

The Wizard of Oz Poster Image
Our Review

Based on 58 parent reviews

Sort by:

I like the movie it has very good messages for kids

1 person found this helpful.

Just so you know I’m 14 just using my moms account

Really good! I remember being scared by the wicked witch when I was little and a scarecrow gets set on fire but is fine. Great messages and a really fun movie with great music, perfect for all ages. In the credits the munchkins are credited as “The Midgets” no names or anything, which is offensive so if your kid asks just explain how it isn’t right that that are generalized like that. You should watch this movie that you will look back on fondly as a good childhood memory.

A bit scarier than I remembered

I, like many people, was sentimentally attached to The Wizard of Oz. I had seen it on television like millions of others and was set to love it like I had as a child. However, I did not love it. Mostly, because my taste had changed and I no longer felt convinced of Garland's "10/11 year old ness", the songs did not quite pack the punch that I remembered, and the incongruities with Glinda (I had read three of Baum's books) stood out in a way I could not ignore. In its whimsy it excels, but with grounding the story with Dorothy I thought the world of Oz was offered short shrift. I also found the flying monkeys to be quite grotesque and scary and felt that the Wicked Witch of the West's comeuppance comes a little too quick and a bit too deus ex machina...but that is neither here nor there. The film continues to capture nostalgia by the bucketloads and "Over the Rainbow" is a film song that has no equal.

I watched this with my 5 year old. We fast forwarded through almost all of the wicked witch parts and she has not slept all week terrified of the wicked witch. She had a nightmare about the munchkins celebrating the wicked witch being dead and is terrified of the witch. The concept of celebrating death is weird at 5.

The wonderful wizard of Oz of our decade!!!

The one and only Wizard of Oz is my favorite non-Disney produced film of all time and is my personal idol for melt movies due to the death of the Wicked Witch of the West!!! Recommended treat for all ages to come!

Weird movie

Just weird.

Not a Feel Good Film

I watched this with my my 3.5 year old due to its ‘U’ rating (which is too low) and recommend reviews on this website. I would say that this film is twisted rather than enchanting. My daughter was very scared of the following: Miss Gulch taking the dog and saying that it needs to be killed The Witch threatening to kill Dorothy The flying monkeys kidnapping Dorothy The first appearance of the lion The witch setting the scarecrow on fire The wizard (with the flames, smoke and distorted speech). He is also rather nasty and not a positive role model. There is a lot of talk about death and killing through the film which I do not want my 3 year old to be aware of. Yes it’s a classic. Yes it’s a fantastic story. Yes there’s some great music but this really isn’t a ‘feel good’ film in my opinion. It actually has quite a lacklustre feel and left us feeling rather glum by the end of it. Was a bad choice and I’m disappointed with myself for letting my 3 year old watch it!