Parent reviews for This Is Spinal Tap

Hilarious, ribald, drug-filled rock send-up.

Parent of a 12-year-old Written byparent model 87 April 4, 2019

Extremely mild R

The more adult humor in this will go over kids' heads. There's a little language, some groupies in tight outfits who are just sitting around with the band in various scenes, and some sexual innuendo kids won't get. The most extreme thing is Derek Smalls removing a foil-wrapped cucumber from his pants in an airport metal detector (the DVD 'special features' menu shows this moment as a CG animation that is far raunchier than the scene itself). But the characters are so over the top in general that most kids will greet this as just a silly gag and not get the meaning.
Adult Written byPuddleglum December 21, 2019
Adult Written byBestPicture1996 June 22, 2015

Hilarious and groundbreaking

Try to avoid reading too much into this movie. I've had a lot of its gags spoiled for me, so try to see it (at 15) with a fresh face. Like mockumentaries that would follow, what makes "Spinal Tap" work so well is the commitment the "band" makes. The accents, the gum chewing, the ego trips. And they're all so dumb with just idiotic filthy lyrics, and everyone gets to be in on the joke. It's a fast trip, made me laugh fairly often, and even if it is a little predictable the excellent humor it presents overshadows it.

Adult Written byTripleL June 19, 2015

Goofy but harmless

There really was nothing inappropriate in this film other than one scene where the F-word is repeated countless times. There is barely any reference to sex or drugs and mainly it's just a very silly 80s rock comedy.
Parent of a 3, 6, and 8-year-old Written byLiveYourLife March 27, 2012

It will give you a good laugh.

One of the best movies i ever saw,but i wouldn't double dog dare let my kids see it.Too much sex,and swearing.

Adult Written byMusicman23 April 9, 2008

A Great spoof of the Rock-n-Roll Life. I highly reccommend it!

Awesome movie! Most of the songs have sexual innuendo, but it is all stuff that you would only get if you are old enough to know about it. If you have a mature 13 year old its fine, but anyone younger probably shouldn't see this movie.