All parent member reviews for Titanic

Parent of a 6, 8, and 10 year old Written byteamworkfun September 14, 2009

Love it.

As a parent, I would never let my kids near this movie, but It's a great movie for me. The scene where Rose poses for Jack, and the implied sex is way too mature for anyone under 16. It's violent, and had language, but it's a really great movie. It's very tragic and is extremely well made. Just make sure the kids don't see it until there late teens.
Adult Written byjustkylermat August 18, 2009

This has been my favorite movie since I was a young child. It is very emotional and is for mature children. This is a great movie for mature tweens and teens, a MUST SEE!!!
Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written bystarrparrent1 November 24, 2011

Sex,Language,Drinking,Smoking.

sexual: there is a scene where you see a picture of Rose naked. language:S--t is used often drinking is at dinner on the ship and Rose and Jack both have smoked a cigarette by the end of the movie. My family watched it together and i made my 9 year old close her eyes when you saw the picture Jack painted of Rose.
Adult Written byDr3w November 8, 2011

Not the Worst PG-13 Ever

"I would much rather have my child see some brief, chaste nudity than be exposed to this potentially traumatizing violence." This is a silly statement for a few reasons. 1) What exactly does "chaste nudity" mean? It's a new concept for me since I thought that the very act of being naked in a film was by definition unchaste. Shows how little I know. 2) Why expose them to either? It's not like you have to choose between violence or sexuality/nudity. You can choose not to expose your children to either one and that would probably be the better choice. 3) Female nudity is appealing to guys! That's the whole reason that my family chooses to avoid movies where women are shown in any state of undress. It's not because it offends us, but because it attracts us. Naked women in films encourage young men to look at women not as people but as sexual objects. Also, when young men finally do choose to get married, they will compare their wives to the naked bodies they have seen in films and perhaps value their spouses less. Violence, on the other hand, while it can be attractive to guys, if it is handled correctly, is not nearly as damaging for young men to see. It can even be a helpful teaching tool. I would agree that this movie is not the worst PG-13 movie out there for teens to see. But I would rather choose entertainment that doesn't sexually assault the young men in my family.
Parent of a 15 year old Written byTsion January 4, 2011

Great Movie for Older Teens and Adults...

TITANIC was never meant to be a kid's movie, hence the PG-13 rating. I admit that it is a bit edgier than other PG-13 movies, but it never really deserves an R rating. I am very concerned about what I expose my children to, yet even I was surprised at a lot of reviews on this page that described the content in the film as "horrifying" and shocking. The movie does have a fair bit of language in it, but considering the over three hour running time, profanity is actually quite sparse. There is one "f" word, but other than that, there is much less profanity in this film than in many other PG-13 movies, especially when given the long running time of the movie. There is brief nudity, but I didn't find it to be extremely offensive. Considering the fashions in which most nudity is portrayed in films today, this scene was very chaste and brief. You see the woman's breasts and the top of her butt for probably ten seconds max. It isn't presented in a lewd or overtly sexual manner, and while obviously it isn't a wise choice for the lead character to make, it certainly never encourages teen girls to do anything of the kind. The love scene is even shorter than the first scene, and shows absolutely nothing. While kids should understand that this is poor behavior, the film never promotes it. The main aspect of the film parents should be wary about is the harrowing violence. This is one of the most difficult movies I've ever seen, as an adult even. Mass panic is shown as people drown and plunge to their deaths as the ship sinks. Mothers and daughters are shown crying out for each other as they slowly perish, and children are lost in the midst of the hysteria. People commit suicide, and almost all of the main characters perish. For an extended period of time, we see frozen bodies of victims in the water, including those of infants. I'm not sure about the rest of you, but I would much rather have my child see some brief, chaste nudity than be exposed to this potentially traumatizing violence. For that reason, I recommend the film for ages 15+ for kids to watch alone, perhaps younger if accompanied by a parent.
Adult Written bydayspring March 20, 2010

Definitely NOT for children and teens!

I am shocked that you approve of this movie for 12 and up! I was sitting behind my 16 year old son at the preview of this movie years ago and was extremely embarrassed at the nudity and sex scenes. The sex scene didn't have to be graphic to be totally inappropriate! I left and went to the restroom! The rest of the movie was totally ruined for me, and I have not and will never see it again. Shame on James Cameron. It could have been such a good movie without those offensive scenes, which were in my opinion, completely gratuitous!
Adult Written byAmeliaKaderWood June 22, 2009

Oscar worthy!

Ok, All I could say is that this film was really awesome, and tear-jerking. I must say that those who plan to watch this, should be warned about some stuff. First of all, there are a few gun-shootings where some blood appears; which is why I chose one of my concerns as violence. As for sexual content, that's my highest warning. Rose went nude showing bare breasts and there were some passionate kisses and love scenes. People also went drunk and smoked for a little in a party/dancing scene, but this concern is only mild in the movie, and there are no drugs. Over all, this is a very good movie. Titanic contains a good love story but although some people say the ending is very sad, it actually isn't...and you'll see why, as soon as you watch it, if you haven't seen it yet.
Parent of an infant, 1, 5, 6, 9, and 12 year old Written bymkenna6 October 13, 2011

Titanic Revew~

I love titanic to death! Its sooo good!! I would not recomed it for kids under 11 or 12. It has alot of cuss words and alot of violence and profanity. I one scene a man shoots himself and another seen a man jups of the boat and his leg is decapitated. In one scene rose poses naked for Jack. On some movies it shows her brests and lower girl parts. But on televison it does not show anything. In another scene Jack and Rose make love in a vehicle and you see them nude and laying on top of one another. The windows are fogged up and you see a hand silde down the back window and when they are on top of one another they kiss passionately. When they leave the car, they go to the top deck and kiss passionately. But other than that its really good! I would recomend the movie for teens ages 13 and up... But I would watch this movie over and over again till Im sick!
Parent Written bynbfi2001 May 26, 2010

pretty good movie

the language is very bad, though the sex is even worse, you can see Rose's private parts
Adult Written bymoviemadness June 26, 2011

Emotionally Distressing Film, Teens+ Only

Titanic is a well-executed layered film. It is excellently cast, acted, and filmed so that the characters are believable and dimensional. Since it is so well done, it is all the harder to watch. The terror of the passengers is so palpable and the pain of loss too, that it's an intensely painful film. For older teens and adults who have experienced close relationships, it can be profoundly affecting as we imagine what it might be like to lose someone so important to us. As for content, there is a lot of smoking, drinking, and swearing. There is also sexual content that, while not explicit, is emotionally charged, making it more intense than a typical PG-13 "zoom in." Most worryingly, there is a great deal of profoundly distressing violence, terror, pain and confusion. Another issue (and something that younger kids and tweens may not pick up on) is the deeper issue of class. They will understand that the protagonists belong to different social circles, but the larger ramifications of their relationship will be unclear. In the end, Titanic is a classic that teens and tweens will be begging to watch, but really isn't for them. Unless they are very mature, they will miss out on some of the underlying themes (the deeper ramifications of classism included). Finally, the film is deeply emotionally distressing -in a way that affects everyone, old and young. Think before you let your kids see it.
Adult Written bygreen_goblin May 8, 2009

15 and up only!

Sensuous scenes involving nudity. Disturbing content involving intense emotional scenes. Suitable for older teens.
Adult Written byYankeeAgKid April 9, 2008

One of the Better Movies

I would ahve to say Titanic was one of the better movies. I think that it taught a lot of lessons, even though it ended badly. I would recommend this for kids 15 and up.
Parent Written bykaitymgirl January 27, 2013

THIS IS AN AWESOME MOVIE....

Titanic is a really good movie, however, it is not for anyone under the age of ten. Much like the other people who have reviewed this movie have mentioned the sex, violence and language, I too believe that it is not good to watch if you have little understanding of tragic events. But by the time a child is Ten they will most likely have learned about getting their period that is for girls anyway and the boys may not have learned in school but their parents probably talked to them already. As far as the language is concerned I'm sure you're child hears worse on a day to day basis at school, and may even use this language themselves (much to you're dismay). Violence is involved but it is nothing too bad that you cannot discuss with your children after, and lets face it children are exposed to more and more at younger ages and they could be bullied later in life if they are not knowledgable about violence and bullying, and that is what one of the main characters is, a bully (Cal). All and all this is a very good movie and It is appropriate for children 10+.
Parent Written byMommy Bear December 20, 2011

Not a good children or family movie

I think this movie is rated incorrectly, as I think a lot of movies are. No one, even adults, should have to see nudity in a movie and should be warned with an R rating. This is a perfect example of why we need sites like this and Mommy Bear Media
Adult Written byage 10+ October 16, 2011

BAD movie

Lets get this straight, I HATE this movie. but if your kids want to watch this and they are 12+ it's appropriate.
Parent of a 6 and 10 year old Written byironman2 September 29, 2011

Titanic Sucks!!!!!!!!

It was not a good film and I really did not like it. My daughter wanted to see it so much that I let her watch it and I regretted it alot. There was so much sexual banter! I didn't like it at all!
Adult Written byjoetresp August 17, 2011

BORING!!!!!!!

Dont burden your child with the viewing of Titanic, although the actress was very beautiful.
Adult Written byMovieMan26 October 10, 2010

Fantastic film, but it should have been R

This is a great, if not terribly sad, disaster epic. It's realistically done, and that's why it may be too intense for some. But, it's worh a look at least once for the excellent performances by the two main leads. Parents: This is an extremely upsetting and disturbingly sad movie with lots of extreme peril. There's also sex, actual R-rated nudity, and some salty language. Bottom Line: A beautiful, tragic epic that's probably worth your time, even if it is terribly long. Thanks for reading! - Movie Man
Adult Written bymathu April 9, 2008

a sinking good epic

this movie is my favorite out of every other movie in the world. it is flawless. there is a lot of stuff in this movie that is bad for younger kids, but good for 16 and up.
Adult Written bynickcy February 6, 2015

I wouldn't let any child come near this film. It's blatantly sexist, promoting extremely vile and unhealthy ideas about the male gender, teaching boys and men to value their lives less than that of girls and women. Women and children are being rescued first, men are vilified for saving themselves and the main protagonist makes the ultimate sacrifice for a woman with her not even so much as batting an eyelash. This film teaches viewers that it's ok, and in fact natural, for men to die in order for women to live. Jack's future, his hopes and dreams no longer matter when his life can be traded for that of Rose who never for a second considered jumping off the raft and taking his place in the freezing water.