Parent reviews for To Save a Life

To Save a Life Poster Image

Great Film For Teenage Life Choices

A Christian film mostly appropriate for high schoolers. It can be easy to pretend all the issues in the movie don't exist for our children but they absolutely do. Good for a parent to watch with their teenager for discussion. To see the consequences of poor choices as well as how Christians should handle real life situations. Teenagers are socially awkward, and the movie definitely promotes an anti-bullying message, how support, encouragement, and coming together can change people's lives. Also a good family message. Younger kids won't understand scenes of intense drinking, suicide, cutting, and sex before marriage. (There is one sexual scene I chose for my children not to watch)

Too much for young ones and not believable for older teens.

Our youth group showed this movie to children ranging in age from 11 to 15 years old which I thought was entirely inappropriate. Compared with other inspirational movies with positive Christian messages, such as "Soul Surfer" and "The Blind Side," "To Save a Life" had the awkward feel of an after school special. Worse, it was overloaded with issues that most 11 and 12 year olds are probably aware of but not yet facing themselves - premarital sex, teenage pregnancy, abortion, etc. - and not equipped emotionally to fully absorb and process in a way that is helpful or meaningful in their lives. I felt that the attempt at conveying a positive message about turning to God was somewhat muddled as the issues were too heavy for the ill-equipped script, cast and director to handle. Many of the scenes were contrived and unrealistic, even cheesy, like the school lunch scene. It didn't ring true to my 14 year old. In fact, rather than taking away a positive message, my daughter remains haunted by the scary image of a boy cutting himself with a razor blade. My suggestion is skip it. Much better options out there.

Take Responsibilty

To Save A Life is a Good movie for teen entering high school as it gives a fairly realistic overview of the pitfalls they will face. Depression, suicide, bullying, loneliness, sex, drugs, pregnancy, confusion and pain all went to my high school. And yours? The film is a conversation-starter at least and, at best, guide to finding help. "Good" movies, faith films, and family movies can't win because if they show the problems people really face, then they're too worldly. If they suggest or encourage a morality determined by God, they appear to offer pat, unrealistic answers. The characters in the film make mistakes and deal with the consequences. God doesn't appear at the end and make it all better. Roger isn't resurrected and Amy's pregnancy test is still positive. The best part of the film is that character have to face their mistakes, find the answers, and take responsibility. That's a Good movie.

The church must stop hiding and confront the culture

First of all, this was an excellent movie that the whole family can enjoy. I would not venture to say that many of the characters are “good role models” despite making better choices toward the end, they do not set an overly great example. It’s ironic that some of you think the film does not invoke the name of Christ enough while others accuse it of overtly proselytizing. The fact of the matter is, “To Save a Life” is the story of a young adult coming to understand who Jesus is, therefore you can’t expect him to accept Jesus then run right out and start preaching. Movies like those are the reason so many people hate Christian movies, they’re not true to life. In response to the previous abortion comments, it is tremendously selfish to say that one should not even take into consideration the life of an unborn child when the child becomes an obstacle to you achieving your goals. The title “To Save a Life” is multi-faceted in this film. Friend to friend, stranger to stranger, Holy God to sinful man, and even parent to child. It is also great that it does show how Christians are human, and therefore imperfect too, further illustrating the truth that Jesus doesn’t demand perfection but accepts the sinner who will turn to Him. Ultimately, in your face reality melded with the forgiveness and hope of Jesus Christ.

Great movie about consequences of bullying

I'm thinking of having my girl scout troop (12/13 year olds - 7th graders) watch this movie as a group and sent a note to the moms to see if they think it's appropriate. I know my 12 year wouldn't have a problem watching it. I feel middle schoolers are not naive and that knowledge is power. The scene where the main character and his girlfriend are in bed is done tastefully. It is implied, there are no naked bodies. The scene where the gun is used in the school may be a little scary, but it can open up the discussion, "what would you do in this situation". Unfortunately, in this day and age, everyone needs to be aware of the situation around them.

Shallow and not much of a real point...

For a Christian movie, it had better acting than usual. Yet, for a christian movie, it was awfully shallow and not very different from some secular movies. I mean? How many people DON'T already know that they're supposed to love each other and be GOOD? Plus, as the movie shows, even Christians fail at being perfect. So, what's the point? Jesus isn't the point of this movie, that's for sure. And He's the only one that can truly save a life. Seriously, you can act all good and stuff, but if you're not going to tell people about the truth also, you may as well not even be a Christian.

Good for teens and older

I was a bit hesitant to go and watch this film. I had seen a few other Christian films before and the acting was not impressive, resulting in a big distraction from the actual story. This was not the case in To Save a Life. The acting was not at the same level of movies with A-List actors, but not bad enough to create a distraction. As I already mentioned, because the acting was up to par, I was able to concentrate on the story and what exactly was going on. The story was excellent. I applaud everyone in and involved with the film because of how daring they were with portraying a lifestyle that is so prevalent in today’s society, but never portrayed or talked about by churches. As a child, I was raised going to church every Sunday and Wednesday and I was never told about that kind of lifestyle. I just knew that whatever it was, it was frowned upon. Now that To Save a Life surfaced, I believe that people will now be able to see what that lifestyle is about and the destruction it can cause along with how, if managed correctly, it can be a good way to relax by just hanging out with friends and not worrying about anything. The “relatability” is fantastic. They showcase so many different characters in which anyone can find a person they can relate to. It was a great film, and I will and have suggested it to all my friends and family.

I thought it was a waste of time and money

This was an absolutely awful movie. I agree completely with the person who said it was a chain of after-school specials all rolled into one. But unlike this person, I DID walk out halfway through. The worst aspects of the picture included: 1. Obviously pro-Christian agenda and continual emphasis on prosthelytizing not only the high school aged characters, but the audience as well. 2. Bad acting. 3. Lack of originality. 4. Characters who were so inhumane and insensitive that you really can't feel sorry for them when misfortune befalls them. I wish I hadn't wasted my time or money on this. I looked at the ratings online, but didn't read the reviews before I went. I regret that oversight. I had to go home and wash my eyes out afterwards.