Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Tomb Raider

Noisy, violent reboot feels like a wasted opportunity.

Adult Written byIheartrams1500 March 21, 2018

Don’t judge it based on the originals

First and foremost, this is a different plot than the movies with Angelina Jolie. I’ve seen comments and reviews based on those movies alone. And that’s just not even accurate. This movie is a reboot, and it starts with her BECOMING the tomb raider we all know. She’s younger and not experienced. It’s a developmental storyline, and that alone makes it awesome. Not everyone has played the games so not everyone knows who she is, and that’s the point of this reboot. You learn who she is and why she is the way she is. Those who have played the newer games, it is similar to Rise of the Tomb Raider, but still different enough that you are still watching the movie for the first time(for most things). On to the content, I can’t believe I’m saying this but I have seen comments saying Lara isn’t dressed skimpy enough. You’ve got to be kidding me... So the first thing is it’s not a sexual movie in any way. Only kissing you see is a Dad kissing his daughters forehead. At one point Lara is wearing an exercise outfit, so you can see the actress’ sick abs she worked very hard for! Lol It’s nothing like the originals, no side boob or naked Daniel Craig! Of course there’s violence!! It’s about bad guys who want to take over the world, and Lara Croft loves guns... right? You see people get shot, punched, staked and something a bit creepier at one point but definitely not gory or even a hard rated pg-13. Might be some slightly scary moments for kids, but that’s why I rated it 10 and up... nothing a 10 yr old most likely hasn’t seen. Language isn’t even all that bad!! My goodness, there is 3 times more cursing in a Marvel movie than this movie! “Sh*t” “g-damn it” and a f-uh but didn’t use the whole word. As for positive role models, someone reviewed it as Lara kills someone with no remorse...were we watching the same movie??? She starts crying!! I’d say that’s a little remorseful. Someone’s choking you and you cry as you fight back... ok then. It’s not a kids movie but it’s dedinitely not as bad as some make it seem. It’s a great movie overall! She’s not the total bad*** we know but she’s working on it. And that’s the point. Even though she’s not 100% the Tomb Raider, she’s still an amazing role model and character to learn from. I grew up on this story so I might be slightly biased but it’s just another female hero for not just girls to look up to. I hope they make more because *spoiler?* it can’t end like that... there’s so much more to tell.

Adult Written byMelanie W. March 15, 2018

Disappointing movie and quite violent for kids

I loved the original Tomb Raider and this looks like it should be a great action film but there's quite a lot of drama and plot is average. I'm pretty conservative so 13+ for violence and death themes. Disappointing movie.
Adult Written byJ e. March 18, 2018

Poor remake

It was boring. This Laura Croft remake was poorly done, does not do the original any justice. The character was whiny, no confidence, acted as though she was a school girl. There was no magical places or story in this only about a disease. Definitely not justice to a true Laura Croft show. Bring Angelina Jolie back!!!
Adult Written byL L. March 18, 2018

Demonic

I read a few Christian movie review websites and not one of them warned against the demonic presence in this movie. For one, it should have been rated R for violence alone. The violence is horrific and the director wants you to feel the death and torture (referencing when IN VERY GRAPHIC DETAIL Lara chokes a man to death in the water....). Most christian websites downplayed "the curse" from an "evil denomic queen". Although the movie tries to play it off as a "plague" it is a type of witchery as the plague works quickly and, again in very graphic detail, a person who touched her dead body was quickly consumed by it making his machine gun go off and shooting/killing those around him. My family and I left at this point. It was too gruesome.

Adult Written bydavid l. March 18, 2018

A truly popcorn-worthy movie

What an enjoyable movie, I dreaded the possibility of yet another monetized and soul-less sequel, but this was great. There was some good story telling here. Vikander was excellent, she really dove into the role completely, and was more credible than Jolie, in my opinion. The effects were great (kind of reminded me of the Lost Ark here and there), and the story was fast moving and entertaining. I did find it odd that the supposedly chinese boat captain sounded like he was from LA, and worked in a board shop, but otherwise, high marks everywhere. Worth the admission, and a great saturday matinee. I think pretty much anybody can see this, no gratuitous anything, just a good story.
Adult Written bygraham b. March 15, 2018

A good story line.

A little bit too much violence but most teens could probably handle it.i think that this movie would be fine for older kids 12 and up.

Parent of a 8 year old Written byJoshua S. March 18, 2018

Faithfull adaptation

First of I and my son enjoyed the movie. It was a fast paced well made action adventure in the vein of raiders of the lost arc. It's not perfect but it honours the game perfectly whilst also being a pretty good movie. I will say however that after watching this I'm not sure it should be a 12. Despite a lack of blood her first kill is the culmination of a vicious hand to hand fight in the jungle and ( Spoiler be here) ends with her choking the guy to death and drowning him in puddle. It's pretty intense. Theres a few gruesome ish Injuries in the film. Once things kick off she mods down guys with a bow which despite a lack of blood does leave them with arrows sticking out if them. Quite a few people get shot, one man who is sick is executed in cold blood by the bad guy because he can't work. There is also an extended scene involving a virus that messes people's faces up and kinda turns them in to zombies. Also a few stabbings and just a general sense of peril and danger throughout. My son was fine with most of it but the virus bit was to much and he asked to go to the toilet as it was creeping him out. We went back in after that part finished and he was fine he just found those specific scenes weird and he didn't like them. The virus makes areaperance in the final fight in a fairly brutal way and I covered his eyes because I knew what was about to happen and he had already said he didn't like that specific element . Overall he enjoyed it but if I had seen it first I might of waited till he was a bit older. It always comes down to opinion and I feel it flirts about as close to being a 15 as it could without actually being a 15 rated movie. It feels like a few specific cuts here and there just edged it in to a 12 with the ratings board. If you have a problem with your kids seeing violence death and explicit danger and peril then this probably isnr for you. Most 12 and under kids who are fairly hardy would be fine but wether you want them to see these things is another matter for you to decide. Good movie but definitely not for very young children.
Adult Written bysegawa e. March 19, 2018

Tomb Raider didn't need a TOMB

The best parts of Tomb Raider are mostly at the start of the movie when we meet a fun young Lara who has decided to forge her way without her father or family money. Sadly we get whisked away to Japan and this is when I totally stop caring for Lara. Even when the beautifuly shot ship wreckaging sequence ( which I wished was the last scene of the movie) and all the battering Lara goes through, I don't feel for Lara. This movie should have been all about how Lara chooses to go tomb raiding and honestly it would have been more of a tease if we ended when lara has just got to the Island. Then the sequel would have been title Tomb Raider and this one just Lara.

Adult Written bydave h. March 18, 2018

A good movie and brilliant for the genre

This is not a masterpiece, nor an amazing fantastic movie. With that said, this is darn entertaining and a really fun movie to watch. I have not had this much fun in the theatre since I saw Deadpool. After seeing so many really bad movies in 2017, and not a single movie I liked so far in 2018, I finally found a movie worth the ticket price - and it is a game adaption! Who would have ever thought eh? The bad? The script is a little generic, and a few scenes suffer for it, but this is a action adventure based on a game, I would be surprised if it was not a bit generic and cliche at times. And there was a couple of moments where CGi was not perfect and/or the directing could use some work, but the CGi here is much, much, much better than Black Panther or Justice League so no real complaint. The good? Within the action/adventure genre this is a top movie. And as a game adaption I would argue it is the best of its kind. That is what I based the score of 9/10 on. As a movie this is more around 7,5/10. Vikander is brilliant, absolutely brilliant. The supporting cast is great, the music great, visuals great, story (although slightly generic) is also great. Best thing with this movie though is that when you leave the theatre you will have a smile on your face. I highly recommend, but just relax. This is not a cinematic masterpiece, but it is a fun ride and go see it expecting a really entertaining action/adventure and you´ll not be disappointed.
Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written byIlya R. April 10, 2018

Why I took my 9yo daughter to watch TR and why we enjoyed it

The problem with all the negative reviews of this movie is that most people expect either Indiana Jones (you can't beat it, can you) or the old Tomb Raider (which was made in a different world) or highly elaborate Agatha Christie style adventure movie. The truth is that it's none of that. You have to set the expectations right. It has a truly brave and strong female protagonist and a great adventure story behind it. And it has none of this Kardashian's consumerim and sexuality focus. That was enough for me to consider taking my girl to watch it. The plot is a bit predictable and some behaviors are really silly (for us adults) but that's a great conversation starter with your kids on what you would do in that situation... How would you assess the risk? Would you make a sacrifice? Now what you need to be aware of and discuss with the kids upfront is the amount of violence (not terribly excessive by modern standards by the way). There are quite a few disturbing scenes indeed, a few murders and horrifying moments and yes, my daughter was covering her ears quite a few times. And I was covering her eyes and told her to relax when Lara Croft won a particular fight - you know she would win, don't ya. On the flip side, 9-10 is the age when you should discuss death freely with your kids - we speak about wars, crime, greed, deception, mercy and sacrifice. To sum it up, ladies and gentlemen, don't be snowflakes. It is an intense and sometime violent adventure movie which may not suit everyone but my girl has been talking about it the whole week and even retelling the entire plot to her 6yo sister! What could be a better outcome, dare I say?

Parent of a 15 year old Written byflynn l. April 2, 2018

so good

BEST THING EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Parent of a 11 and 14 year old Written byDarren A. April 16, 2018

Finally, the Real Lara Croft

Lots of fast paced action with content and violence not for kids. The movie is the back story to Lara Croft, establishing the intelligent, highly courageous, and fear conquering Tomb Raider. This version gives a father & fan, a setting, story, directing, and acting that transports the viewer into an immersive environment where you feel as though you were right there with her. I found this a very refreshing break from the high glossed Hollywood interpretation of its predecessors.

Adult Written byHeather P. June 14, 2018

Inappropriate Language

The cuss words listed did not include G**Da**” . I would not have brought my 11 year old daughter to a movie that has that language in it. The movie was actually really good up until that point. Then after that the movie was ruined for us.

Adult Written byJ P. March 18, 2018

One of the greatest ever video game movies

The Tom Raider reboot has a great performance by Alicia Vikander and some exciting action sequences. It's more gritty and realistic, though only as much is possible for an adaptation of the video game. You can only enjoy it if you can suspend some disbelief at what Lara can do and survive. I enjoyed seeing her grow into a heroic role. It works as an origin story, even if it won't win prizes for innovation.
Adult Written byΗλιανα Κ. March 17, 2018

AMAZING

Highly recommend it to anyone who likes action-adventute movies

Adult Written bydtgsrq July 5, 2018

EXCESSIVELY VIOLENT! Not for pre-teens

Cold-blooded killing: Trinity leader shoots (at close range) an old man who becomes too weak to work in slave camp. Chilling and disturbing for kids. His army mows down (with automatic weapons) imprisoned workers trying to flee. Lara chokes a man to death in vicious fight scene. Tour through tomb is essentially at gunpoint, with close range firefights and violent hand to hand combat. Tomb features many violent deaths from impaling or body-crushing weapons. Unnecessary violence UNSUITED for pre-teens. Watched with mine and regret it, prompting this review.

Adult Written byDiego R. March 24, 2018

Meh

Even when I loved the choice of the actress, who resembles a lot like the one on the videogames, the movie was a really dissapointing one, with very few scenes to move you. One good thing about this movie is that the heroine is a really well developed one. She's portrayed as a strong woman who can fend herself, but not to the point that she just humiliates the men on the movie to depict that strength. I wouldn't recommend seeing it on the movie nor spending money on it, but it would be a good movie to watch online, for example

Parent of a 10 year old Written byKidcritic.com December 7, 2018

Not bad 3 stars! Violence is not too bad-fine for tweens

This movie is good! There is intense violence, but it's fine for tweens. Nothing inappropriate is in this film. Language includes: sh*t used four times, and one use of both d*mn and godd*mn. A character is seen drunk a few times, but that's it with drinking, smoking, and drugs. So my MPAA rating is: PG-13 for sequences of violence and action, some language, and for brief drinking. So good movie that is fine for younger tweens 10+! Hope this helps!

Adult Written bySam W. April 19, 2018

top notch performance

I was pleasantly surprised with this movie. Being a mega Tomb Raider fan for the past 15 years now, I was worried how this movie would live up to the character of Lara Croft and her type of adventures. However, after seeing this movie, I can proudly say it holds the Tomb Raider spirit and effectively portrays the new Lara Croft. Vikander's small intricacies in her performance really sold me on her Lara. The story was interesting and full of tense moments, and the visuals were top notch. Many of the action scenes were genuinely gripping. I was a bit disappointed with the big reveal of Queen Himiko's powers towards the end, it didn't have the oomph I was hoping for. Overall, a fun, thrilling, well-acted video game movie that lives up to the franchise it comes from.
Adult Written byFineandDandy January 1, 2019

A reboot is not a remake.

Being familiar with both the games and the movies, I have to clarify that this movie starts before the beginning of the Lara Croft we know. Her core personality traits/character are clearly evident and the athleticism of the new lead is very impressive and recognisably Lara Croft but everything else is in the pupae stage. THAT, I believe is what this film is all about. It doesn't launch in with fully developed characters and storylines assuming you are already familiar with all things Tomb Raider - it's starting somewhere the other games (and therefor story lines) have only touched on as back story. Well here IS the back story. Judge it on that basis and it is an enjoyable film and I hope they get to take it a step further having developed the character so well. A complaint would be that there is no sense of the treasure hunter about Lara here - no fascination with history or artifacts but I'm willing to suspend that until they do another one though as that will give a second outing more to work with and develop further. As far as positive role models go - yes, I was certainly rooting for her and found myself believing in her stubborn determination and will power to fight against impossible odds. We need more of that. Loads of courage that had to be developed and built up - no golden halo of supernatural ability. I think her character in this film is one to look up to and if my kids develop that kind of resilience I'd be very proud . Violence, yes but no real gore. The remorse about killing someone in self defense comes through clearly and any lives she takes are not taken coolly - there is anguish there and duress. The lead actress did a very good job of wearing that turmoil but pushing through regardless. No sex, no inflatable chest, not much swearing (I didn't even notice) and mild reference to drinking but not glorifying it in any way.