Kid reviews for Tomb Raider

Noisy, violent reboot feels like a wasted opportunity.

Teen, 15 years old Written byBored_Strawberry June 7, 2018

Don't listen to the bad reviews!

I honestly don't know why so many people are giving this movie so much hate. Sure, it wasn't exactly like the games but that's what kept you on your toes. I personally loved the movie, it was packed full of adventure, with Alicia Vikander portraying the role of Lara Croft almost perfectly. As for censorship, parents need to be aware that there is the sporadic 'shit' or 'fuck' thrown around, and some quite realistic horror themes. There are a few shooting scenes but they are not overdone. A person does get shot in the head but you only hear it and don't actually see. This movie includes some great acting and I thought as an action movie and a remake of the Tomb Raider games, it was far more exciting and executed than the Tomb Raider movie, starring Angelina Jolie. Lara Croft is also not overly sexulised in the film, which I think makes a strong and inspiring role model for girls. On a different note, I was slightly disappointed with the amount of time that is shown between her first kill and how she feels, before she basically turns a blind eye to killing people. Overall it was an enjoyable movie and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. So, what are you waiting for? GO WATCH THE MOVIE!

Teen, 13 years old Written byLSK_1234 April 9, 2018

THIS MOVIE IS SOOO GOOD!! MUST WATCH!

This is movie is fine for 11+, its not very violent. I’m am shocked about who ever reviewed this because it’s DEFINITELY not 2 stars...definitely 5 stars! THIS IS AN AMAZING MOVIE AND EVERYONE SHOULD WATCH IT BECAUSE I GUARANTEE THAT YOU WILL LOVE IT!!

Kid, 11 years old March 21, 2018

Haters Gonna Hate!!!

Although some people think of this movie as really bad, I thought it was amazing! This movie has so much action and it is so insanely intense! It also teaches people about the terrible thing that is forced labor and what it does to people. It has the S word twice but has no sex. Not that violent, I have to say. Amazing movie!

Teen, 13 years old Written bybookworm3284 March 20, 2018

Intense, action packed adventure can get violent. But it is VERY exciting.

Fun, epic adventure has its moments. BUT, I would totally recommend this, it is just so thrilling and exciting. There are many scenes of violence and sometimes it is extreme. The most disturbing scene in my opinion was the scene where Lara had to drown a man who was trying to kill her. That man whipped her around, splashed muddy water into her mouth, kicked her, etc. Lara put her knee o n the mans back and pushed his face down in the water, she holds his head there screaming (she feels VERY guilty about her actions, and killing someone), she luckily kills her. There are also scenes of Lara getting impaled with a piece of metal (she pulls it out of her stomach in pain, and later gets it stitched up and is screaming). A suspenseful scene in which Lara is on a rusted plane that keeps falling. Characters all held at gunpoint, and blade point. Lara whips an ax into a characters shoulder, Lara also gets slashed by the same ax. CCM left out the part about a disease that rots characters skin and turns them into zombie-monsters. Lara reminds me of Rey (Start Wars), due to her being brave, courageous, loyal, and makes sacrifices. A frightening scene in where Lara is hiding form Trinity in a tomb, there are a LOT of skeletons. Falling spikes crush characters, spear through a characters mouth, a "slave" is killed without hesitation (the killer does not even care after), people are shot by arrows. A frightening storm with loud noises. An illegal bike race. Explosions. Multiple jump-scares. Characters are beaten and whacked in the face with shovels. Large shoot-outs. Bullets and arrows fly, characters are sliced, stabbed, impaled, rot alive, and drown. Important characters get shot (but live through it) and one gets shot in the head. This is the kind of movie that could and would leave some kids shaking in their seats, and maybe with tears running down their face, it is very brutal and straight forward, along with some straight up frightening scenes, especially the scenes in the tomb. I did not expect all of the jump scares and heavy suspense. But it kept me on the edge of my seat. Overall, this was such an exciting film, with some really good CGI. Lara is a strong, and brave female role model and lead. My MPAA rating: PG-13 (for sequences of action and brutal violence throughout, scary and disturbing images, bloody images, some suggestive content, language)

Teen, 14 years old Written byaids786 March 18, 2018

bad

The film tries to be a comedy, action and drama film at the same time. The characters aren't compelling and you honestly don't care about them, they also completely change characters to further the plot. The action scenes are horribly shot and the plot is cliche. the only thing keeping it from being a one star is that it's at least slightly entertaining for young kids.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMaria21 April 3, 2018

Extremely interesting for mystery and archeology lovers!

I thought it was a great movie. It was in my opinion a bit too slow at times, and there was more action than important investigations, but I guess that is also like that in the game. The movie has a very interesting archeological and historical story, but is at the same time mysterious and keeps the audience entertained. I did expect more adventure and investigations, and was a bit dissapointed by the amount of action. The story itself shows a very strong protagonist, and I think that she is a great role model for young girls. I perosnally felt very confident and strong after watching it. I think that this movie will lead to kids becoming interested in ancient history and the different mystries behind different ancient cultures, as well as in archeology and some of the unsolved mysteries in our world today. Due to the amount of violence in the movie and some heavy topics such as slavery, I woud recommend this movie for kids of the age of 13 and up.

Teen, 13 years old Written byKartoonLover March 31, 2018

REALLY THE BEST!

My mom took me to see this movie and I loved it! Extremely violent, though. Not for young kids whatsoever.
Teen, 13 years old Written byAngelone March 30, 2018

Great Movie

I thought it was really good. There was some very prodictable jump scares, some violence and some scary images. I think that a ten year old that knows the difference between what is real and what is fake could definitely handle this movie. However, I wouldn’t recommend a child much younger than 10 watch this movie because there some things that are a bit confusing.

Teen, 16 years old Written byKatemonro95 April 8, 2018

Just my opinion

It's a good movie... But definitely not for kids. You could call it a bit freaky. If you show it to your kids they might have nightmares about it for a while
Teen, 15 years old Written byDessertfordinner March 28, 2018

Super good!

Filled with action, adventure and suspense. Highly recommend it! Sure, some people may not like it. But, I think it deserves a 4 star rating. Although there is some swearing, this is a movie you won't want to miss!

Teen, 16 years old Written byZunigrace01 March 26, 2018

Action, excitement, good acting, but still eh.

I thought it was a pretty good movie. There was plenty of action and it kept the watchers entertained. If you don't like blood, gore, or violence this is probably not the best suitable movie for you. there is violence, and Laura croft (the main character) herself gets injured and in many violent scenes as well. Good acting, the background is good, some of it is predictable, there is blood and violence so be prepared, lots of action and excitement just don't take your younger kids to see the movie but to be honest: in my opinion, it's something I would maybe go see again but I would not buy.

Teen, 17 years old Written byLsalter1 March 21, 2018

Better than reviewed

While this wasn't an amazing movie, it was definitely worth watching. Don't know why it got a two star review. Just as good as many three started reviews on this site.

Kid, 8 years old November 1, 2018
CSM was so wrong. I thought this movie was brilliant. (SPOILERS may follow): but I did have to cover my ears and squint when the guy got infected while he was holding a gun.

Teen, 13 years old Written byKatoptris34 March 17, 2019

Brilliant Movie with Strong Heroine Lead

I really enjoyed this movie and have watched it around eleven times now. Yes, there is a lot of violence, but teens and mature tweens will be OK with this movie. There isn't any sexy stuff, other than the fact Lara wears a tank top (which isn't revealing). In this movie, she actually looks like a human. Her chest is not overly-sexualized like in the previous movies with Angelina Jolie. There is humor, intense action, and a great story line. SPOILER ALERT: Violence: Multiple shootings. Lara gets a piece of wood impaled in her stomach, pulls it out, then later gets it stitched. She is crying out in pain in that scene. A man doubles over coughing, and is later shot. A boat crashes. Lots of fistfights. In the beginning of the movie, violent drawings are shown about Himiko to start up the plot. There is a bike race and Lara is hit by a slowly moving car, leaving no long-term injuries. Lara shoots people with arrows, but their deaths are not gory. She kills a man who attacks her by drowning him. Lara's bag is stolen from her, and she tackles a boy to get it back. Another boy then pulls out a knife and threatens her, but doesn't use it. Scariness: Himiko is a scary figure. She is dead, but carries a disease that causes the infected people to go crazy and try to kill people. There are multiple jump scares, and many intense moments. Swearing: Some swearing. Lara starts to say the f-bomb, but a car horn bleeps it out. The S word is said, as is the Da**. Good Messages: Lara keeps persevering against almost impossible odds. There are a lot of reviews saying she kills a man without remorse, but she kills him then gets off of him, sobbing. A look of horror shows on her face, and you can see she is distressed about killing someone. She cares about her friends and her family. Great Role Model: Lara keeps pushing to do the right thing, even when it's hard and never gives up. She accepts that she will probably die and basically seals her own fate in the end to save the world. She doesn't actually die in the end, though. Overall, this movie is a really good action/adventure movie that most people will like.

Teen, 13 years old Written byJaner_Mist February 8, 2019

Pretty sad and disapointing

Me and my mom watched this in theaters, And let me tell you, It was dog shit, The movies plot was pretty bad, and the movie was just really stupid in general, In other words. Nothing beats the real tomb raider games.

Teen, 14 years old Written bykeatonmarcus January 26, 2019

Alicia Vikander gives a gripping performance in so-so video-game adaptation

Tomb Raider is one of the better video-game adaptations, Alicia Vikander headlines the film with an incredible lead-performance as Lara Croft showcasing a committed and up-to-the-task outing for the Academy Award-winning actress; The thrills are there, and they occasionally make up the fun, if flawed pic, and the action sequences are particular well-directed by Roar Uthaug. The solid film does occasionally suffer from poor plotting, uneven characters, and a lack of brains, or storytelling development; This shape Tomb Raider into a fun film, with a must-see performance from Vikander, that does have its flaws, a number of them.
Teen, 15 years old Written byledbylight October 5, 2018

Much better than the critics make it sound!

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie! Took a chance and bought it on iTunes once it came out, and was NOT disappointed! The plot will keep you in suspense, and it will keep you ready for a sequel! The violence is occasionally bloody and intense, and the themes are sometimes creepy. Language is not frequent and limited to s--t and an implied f-word. No sex at all, her outfit is even appropriate. Overall, the movie was very enjoyable and appropriate for teens!

Teen, 13 years old Written byWooda17 August 29, 2018

Impressed

I was slightly hesitant to watching this film as many reviews on this website were negative and many of the people who had watched this had said it was nothing special. However, we watched this on holiday one night. I've never played the games as I am too young but I have heard they are fairly good. The movie started and was slightly slow to begin with but by the end I was loving it. There is a good story throughout and some positive messages. It is good to have a female hero who does skills, fights and things alike just like the men. I learned that practise makes perfect. U should never give up. One character loses a lot of money betting and is seen very drunk- it is important to not always use alcohol ( the man falls from the upper deck of his boat into a pile of trash on his deck). Three kids shout "he's drunk again" meaning this is not the first time this has happened- the man clearly hasn't learned. Being there for family is also a strong message. There is a fair amount of violence- stabbing, shooting, impaling and many scenes of peril. Lara kills a man in a brutal way- it shows a man being drowned- but Lara is clearly upset that she has done this. The plague is disturbing- it turns people who touch a dead body into these zombie-like creatures ( all victims are shot or stabbed) this scene may be scary for younger viewers.Overall, I was impressed - it was a great movie, I would definitely watch again.
Kid, 11 years old August 28, 2018

really good movie but with much violence.

at the cinema said it is 12+ so i watched with my parents and friends. it is horror, violent, but a good movie.

Teen, 14 years old Written bySTere August 10, 2018