Adult Written byazdesertdawg April 9, 2008
Parent of a 2, 3, 8, and 10 year old Written byMomof4boysNC July 11, 2010
Parent Written byBRANDON72 February 18, 2012

Blasphemous Words are in this Movie

This Movie takes God's Name in Vain and that is bad enough for me.
Parent Written byjmm96d March 7, 2013

That's a Maybe, Ghostrider

I do remember this movie from my youth and was in elementary school. I loved the film because of the airplanes and cockpit talk. I had no interest in Kelly McGillis or knew who Tom Cruise was. I guess what struck me was how much cussing there was when watching it with my oldest. I have a 4 cussword rule right now with her. It may be less or more, however, this movie was on for 15 min and already violated that, so I turned it off. Now, most of it is everyday talk for some. However, I just didn't remember them saying so many and especially in anger. Granted when I saw this I also was watching HBO and Predator combined with how my parents talked. I think that is what determines whether or not you should let your kid see this. What are they used to already? If they are not used to cussing in anyway or once or twice a movie, this will stick out, so someone about to be in 5th grade can not have that stick out so much. If they are used to it, then it should be acceptable for someone about to be in 3rd grade. I put this movie has smoking, but its not a youth and not a pilot but possibly a stereotype of high ranking people in the military. I explained to my kids that they may not smoke in real life, but for this role in the movie.
Adult Written byLowe's man February 16, 2016

a top movie

After making a few mistakes, Maverick and the others are forced to "perfect" their flights, thereby showing viewers the importance of attention to detail and getting things right, and the consequences when those are not heeded. Competition and the desire to win are shown, but so is teamwork. A healthy balance is found. When Maverick meets Charlie he changes for the better, reinforcing the idea that meeting someone special sometimes makes us want to change our behavior. While you could argue that there should've been a couple women pilots, Charlie, a civilian working with the military, is strong, which more than makes up for that. As for the smoking, it wasn't frowned upon in 1986 to the degree that it is today, especially in the military. While parts of this movie will go over viewers' heads unless either they're in or have been in the military, everyone can benefit from this movie.
Parent Written bymattbruns3 October 22, 2015

I still question 13+

It's more appropriate for 14+. It has a lot of intense war violence and has a very sensual scene. Definitely PG-13 to todays standards.
Adult Written byHeroneSilverton April 9, 2008
Adult Written byChuck Reid March 15, 2012

Violent but good.

This movie has some mild violence.Does that mean it blows? No.Is it bad for kids? Yes.I'm 23 so I can watch it.Its REALLY funny!
Educator Written bymaddox121 August 26, 2015

Top Gun

The protaginist Died. Fantasy Vioelce S7its I didnt see any sex shirtless man not= real sex i had good role models of friendship
Adult Written byJames R. August 8, 2016
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written byA M August 5, 2016

One of my favorites growing up

It's amazing how many times they say 'shit' in this movie, and yes for young kids the biggest problem is the language, the intimate moment, and goose dies of course. So we discussed the language, they know it's not how grown ups talk in real life. I made them cover their eyes for the intense smooching moment. And top gun is the device that started a conversation about death, which is a good conversation to have. It is a good movie about friendship and self control and loosing (My kids were shocked to see iceman win the trophy!)