Parent reviews for Total Recall (1990)

Brilliant but disturbing and violent Schwarzenegger sci-fi.

Adult Written bySeanT726 June 27, 2016

One of the greats, by one of the greatest.

Paul Verheoven is a fantastic director, and this is him in top form. I'm not really sure much needs to be said about the quality of this movie: you've probably either seen it or heard a good bit about that by now. What does merit mention, though, is its content: on its face, this movie looks incredibly inappropriate for children, but frankly, all of the violence is too goofy and humorous to be disturbing. It's hard to take, say, a man's arms getting torn off seriously when Ahnuld cheerily quips "SEE YOU AT THE PARTY, RICHTER!" afterwards, for example.
Adult Written byBestPicture1996 December 6, 2014

Imaginative sci-fi flick sees Ahnahld in top form

I'm not really one to go see Schwarzenegger films, I've seen "The 6th Day," "Predator" and the "Terminator" movies, but I've always thought of him as one-note of an actor...and he is. But this movie really got me somehow, and I felt almost like a kid watching "The Goonies," because I was genuinely interested in the adventure aspect of "Total Recall." Along with the fast-paced story, it has some really spectacular makeup and special effects, extremely impressive IMO in 1990. My girlfriend's dad actually said this was his favorite film, and that I should check it out. While of course Arnold isn't a great actor, he's arguable the best action star ever, and his one-liners and romances with beautiful women are abundant here, just let your older teens see this because there's a lot of bone-crunching violence.

Adult Written byJoe J. March 10, 2017

Cheesy at times, but a lot of fun. Groundbreaking effects and sets, and great action.