Parent reviews for Trading Places

Trading Places Poster Image

Overall, it was funny with a good message.

I watched this with my 16-year-old and felt totally comfortable with her seeing it. There is nothing sexual in it. There are several scenes where women are topless — there was one scene where there was dancing at a party and two women take their tops off and dance. But I don’t recall there being partners when they were dancing (it was a big group) and there was certainly no sexual grinding or anything like that. I took that scene as an opportunity to point out that nowadays if someone did that, they would be filmed and it would be posted on the Internet, so it’s not something anybody would do now. There were also a couple of other scenes where Jamie Lee Curtis gratuitously took her top off when changing but there was nothing sexual that happened. There was also swearing occasionally throughout, but nothing my child has not heard. There was one use of the N-word, which is always shocking, by one of the people of the lowest character in the movie. There was also use of the word Negro twice also by people of low character. There was also a reference to a woman who was a prostitute as a whore, a word I personally hate. Finally, there was a scene where Dan Aykroyd painted his face to appear African-American, which was part of a kind of ridiculous plot point. All that said , it was funny and good-humored with a good message about respecting people in all walks of life.

Funny, profane--lots of nudity

Trading Places is as dirty as it is funny, with swearing and female nudity (breasts) throughout, plus drug references and drinking. It also has some offensive racial humor that may not be suitable for younger viewers. Overall, though, a standard Eddie Murphy comedy--fine for mature teens and up.

Your kid has to be a bit older to understand the plot

There are a lot of themes in this movie that your pre-teen simply will not understand so I suggest leaving this one until they're a little bit older. Drugs and prostitution are prevalent throughout this film which is why I've said to reserve this for teens. It is a really good movie, however, that deals with racism, wealth, greed and friendship.

funny. but... naked breasts everywhere. some drugs.

it is a classic funny movie, very interesting subject, really interesting stuff to talk about with kids: after all is it nature or nurture? but really, breasts everywhere. Jamie Lee`s breasts twice, other women in minor roles, parties with naked people dancing. People smoke joints , there is cocaine in one scene. Swearing too. Having said that, no serious violence, no actual sex, lots of sex suggested though. I wouldn`t go as far as 17 but 13 maybe...

Great but "inapropro"

Real great movie and storyline NOT for young kids. People may say its "inapropro".the business men totally mess these guys lifes up for a ONE DOLLAR bet. but the men team up and show them they cant control their lives