Parent reviews for Turning Red

Turning Red Poster Image

Best for Older Kids

Definitely for older kids. Multiple mentions of periods and pads so better if your kid is aware of these changes or if you are ready to explain. The daughter is 13 and starts to struggle with her relationship with her mom. I think it glorifies being disobedient. As an adult I took away that it is better to be honest and be yourself but my kids just saw the bad behavior being cool.
60 people found this helpful.

Don’t be misled by over-critical reviews

First of all, I’ll say this: any reviewer who talks about 4 boys in a band did not pay attention to the movie and I’d have a hard time trusting their review when they get such an easy detail wrong. That being said, I didn’t love this movie. I watched with my kids, a 7 y.o. daughter and 11 y.o. son. Yes, they had questions about what “pads” are. Yes, I thought the scene of her drawing pictures of the cute boy was—somewhat uncomfortable? Probably because the animators hid what she was drawing from us at first. The pictures were weird but I expected them to be more…explicit? So, no big deal. The confrontation between the mom and aforementioned cute boy was awkward to watch because that felt like a very grown-up, very serious issue. But honestly, everything after that was fine. We learned that yes, we can put too much pressure on our kids. We learned that kids are kids and will experience peer pressure, will disobey, will lie—guys, come on. We are not raising perfect angels, and if you think you are, YOU ARE THE MOM IN THIS MOVIE. The movie examines the relationship between mother and child, and between friends. It shows how damaged relationships can be repaired. It shows that we as parents need to give our kids freedoms; if we are overbearing, it will cause more rebellion. It shows kids how to manage their emotions. Are there are weird parts to this movie? Sure. But the weirdest thing is seeing the straight up fear-mongering “this movie teaches your kid to disobey” reviews. Kids know how to disobey; this movie shows the grace required to repair a relationship after that happens.
51 people found this helpful.

Cringe!!

Cringe !!! What happened Pixar? Didn’t think I had to preview your movies before allowing our children to see them. This one has more than a few creepy, cringy moments along with an abundance of things parents try to steer their kids away from. Lying, deceit, sneaking around. This wasn’t good Pixar.
37 people found this helpful.

Too Heavy Handed for its Intended Audience

Watched this movie last night with my family, and honestly found it disheartening. There are lots of fun bits in this movie, and the animation is gorgeous, but I feel that the message is questionable and heavy-handed for its intended audience. Mei Mei is a 13-year-old with an overbearing mother. Throughout the movie, she finds ways to cope with this by being dishonest and disobeying her parents behind their backs. Now, there's nothing intrinsically unbelievable about this as a plot point, as growing up I've had several friends do the same thing. However, instead of eventually humanizing the mother character and bringing communication and reconciliation between the characters, the mother remains the antagonist; Mei Mei chooses to live her own life, which takes her away from her relationship from her mother (which she admits herself during a crucial scene in the movie). This all seems extremely unrealistic for a 13-year-old. Fantastical rituals aside, every 13-year-old will feel like their parents are overbearing; that's just a part of growing up. However, this movie pushes a theme that it's okay to disregard your parents rules and advice because you need to follow your own heart. Again, I can see what they're trying to say here, but it's not a great message to be telling such a young audience. In my mind, when you are living in your parent's household, you need to respect them and obey their rules. But, Mei Mei calling to her mom "my panda, my choice" in order to completely shut down a concern her mom has...that's just flipping the script and putting her mom in a place of having no say. It's not showing a relationship with open communication or reconciliation, just a power shift. Another thing, kids are very prone to imitate catchphrases and play out scenes in movies. If a young kid sees that a beloved movie character is rewarded for disobedience and complete disregard of her parents advice and concerns, that's going to set up a toxic mindset for how they approach relationships and conflict with their parents. Instead of working it out with open communication and understanding, the "my panda, my choice" mentality completely shuts down a healthy relationship. I also just find it disheartening that the overall message was "in order to be yourself you have to completely break away from your parents." Again, especially for a 13-year-old to be saying this is extremely concerning as always following your prepubescent heart with complete disregard to the rules of your elders will eventually get you into some sticky and regretful situations. Bottom line: I find it hard to imagine a young audience being able to understand and enjoy such a heavy-handed movie. Although it has several fun moments and characters, its message is something that would be more applicable to a character turning 19, not 13.
37 people found this helpful.

12+

In my opinion, the movie content is too mature for a younger crowd but okay for children who are aware of sex and periods. Not just a funny "human turns into an animal" movie.
35 people found this helpful.

Questionable Messages

I wasn't expecting much from this movie and I was still disappointed. My kids didn't like the movie either. My 13yr old son said it was a "waste of time." My 11yr old daughter was especially looking forward to the release on Disney plus and was sorely disappointed. The movies has some sketchy messaging and I might advise screening beforehand. The main character sneaks out of the house and is defiant and disobedient, and the movie seems to frame these things up positively, which might send the wrong message if you don't intend to have a conversation with your children about the behavior.

34 people found this helpful.

Awful themes for a children

Lots of themes about sex and rebellion against parents. Be prepared to explain these appropriately to your children
32 people found this helpful.

Terrific, gentle introduction to teenagerdom

This was a delightful movie, which very deftly explores the tension inherent in growing up between becoming yourself and becoming the person your parents imagine you to be. I love how it normalizes crushes, big emotions and menstruation. My boys enjoyed it; I think it's perfectly pitched to kids aged 9-12, who've been comfortable thinking of themselves as a long way away from all that messy teenage stuff, but are realizing it's actually right around the corner.

30 people found this helpful.

Definitely not for any kids who are not already teens. Questionable even for anyone under 18.

This was extremely disappointing! We’re all set to watch it with friends on a snow day and it’s completely inappropriate for any kids under 13. Puberty, boy crazy, lying to parents, sneaking out, and more unhealthy ways of dealing with emotions. There is also some ancestor worship and demonic looking dreams.

27 people found this helpful.

Sadly teaches disrespect...

Just a disappointing movie overall. We were excited to see it after hearing reviews, but sadly it was not as great as we had hoped. Definitely for an older audience. While the idea of what the movie was trying to convey was presented, it seriously lacked believability. Sadly... this movie encourages children to disobey/disrespect their parents (even if the parents make mistakes). It really isn't our cup of tea.
26 people found this helpful.