All parent member reviews for Twilight

Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written byRodriguez2 September 18, 2010

Why not just tell your daughters they must lose their soul to gain happiness?

This movie romances the idea of stalkers and poor female role models. It reduces the prominent female to helpless without her (vampire) companion. This is not a model we should be showing young girls. The fact that the main character simply cannot function without Edward is astonishing, and exemplifies depression as the proper way to gain attention. Parental figures are almost non-existent, as are quality adult role models. The acting was atrocious, at best.
Adult Written by21stcenturycritic October 26, 2010

This is not Love. This is Infatuated Obsession.

Hate it. Yes this movie/book promotes abstinence until marriage but that is all it does. promoting abstinence is not enough to make this a good movie. It is an attractive storyline to adolescent girls not because it has good morals (it only has one) but because every low self-esteemed, angst ridden, hormonal teenager (and older single women) is going to easily relate to Bella (the main character). Not because she's easy to relate to but because she is a shell where the viewers are able to place their lives into it simply because Bella is not a 3-Dimensional character. This is bad story telling. The message is NOT what I would ever let my Teenage daughter be exposed to (without thoroughly analyzing it). Any parent worth their salt should take a closer look at the underlying message: It is OK to become completely and blindly dependent on someone else without regard for logic or mental health. It is OK to put yourself in harms way for someone else. It is OK to abuse your partner It is OK to neglect all other facets of life It is OK to become obsessed with one person to love that person only because of what they look like and not because of who they are. The above all happens in the book/movie between the main characters. And there are more reasons, these are just to name a few. Edward is abusive, controlling and disrespectful to Bella - in spite of his traditional view with marriage. Bella is (although book smart) passive, naive, obsessive, emotionally inept, impulsive, causes self harm, reckless, and cannot make smart decisions. The relationship between Bella and Edward, although passionate, is not Love. It is Infatuated Obsession. Why? Because NOT ONCE is Bella OR Edward attracted to each other by anything other than their looks/biology. Why does Bella love Edward? Because he's beautiful and is alluring. An aspect that all vampires carry in this book that does not serve to make Edward more unique and leaving only his beauty. Meaning? Bella only likes Edward because he is pretty. In the books, Bella repeatedly mentions Edward's looks -eyes, skin, breath. However, she never mentions an attraction to any other of his more ideal traits. Why does Edward love Bella? It's not because she's smart, it's not because she's endearing. It is because she SMELLS good. It is admitted in both the book and movie that he is attracted to her because of the smell of her blood which he equates to his "own personal brand of heroine". This is not love. This is not a message any adolescent child should be exposed to when they are growing up, finding themselves and trying to understand the world they live in. If anything this is a message of what kind of relationship one should not be in. Abusive, Controlling, Co-Dependent, Blind.
Parent of a 17 year old Written byMusicteacher July 6, 2010

OK for older kids; 12 and under, not so much

For those worried about the content of the books or films, be aware, these works were never aimed at those 12 years old and younger--they were originally targeted at high-school students. I noticed several comments from parents uncomfortable with Twilight's discussions of sex, virginity and intimacy. That material is indeed appropriate for mid-to-late teenagers; trust me, whether or not you approve, they are already having those discussions, although maybe not with you! Better to read a book together, or go to a movie, and then discuss the issues afterwards--you can use those times as a teaching moment. My biggest problem with the works isn't sex or violence, it's the false values--the worship of wealth and beauty--that seems to underlie them.
Adult Written byrawrrocker July 5, 2010

Mixed, vaguely chauvinistic messages.

The thing that really disturbs me about children watching this is the unhealthy messages that the relationship between Bella and Edward send. Not only is it obsessive, but it is also mildly misogynistic. After being blown off and ignored by Edward, Bella proceeds to become more attached and interested in him regardless of his rejection. In the relationship, Edward is the one fully in control and Bella is subservient to his desires. It just concerns me what messages about a "normal" relationship this is sending to young girls.
Parent of a 11 and 12 year old Written bychrissys880 April 4, 2010
Adult Written bywonder dove January 17, 2010

Not so good.....

I didn't see this until I had nothing else to watch, so I gave in. Thinking it may have been worth it from people's reviews, it was just awful! A total snooze fest. Acting was super bad and the storyline was VERY boring! Kristen Stewart was not suited to play Bella at all, she's too frigidy & emotionless. It's just way too overrated. I think the younger crowd likes it only because of the "hot" actors which are hyped up by the media and the idea of vampires. Not appropriate for under 13 I'd say..gives all the wrong messages to the youngsters. 2 thumbs down!
Parent of a 3 and 8 year old Written bytandst4 January 31, 2010

Decent movie but no role models for my girls

I have two girls. I would hate for either of them to model after Bella's weak & easily influenced character. The book and movie show her to be extremely vulnerable, even though she's supposed to be book smart. She makes decisions on emotion purely and without much logic at all. Not a role model for my kids.
Parent of a 13 year old Written bytwzzlrgirl November 10, 2009

Perhaps a poor message for teenage girls....

I admit to loving this book, although I thought the movie was uneven and poorly acted. HOWEVER, in many ways I think the messages in this movie are not for girls entering their teen years. The entire plot is based on Bella's increasingly obsessive need to be with Edward, despite the dangers to herself or her family. And, frankly, subsequent books and movies only get worse. Only recommended for girls who can enjoy the entertainment value but have a good (and strong) head on their shoulders.
Parent of a 3, 6, 8, and 12 year old Written byMidnightMom March 27, 2010

I have seen this movie at least 40 times!

This is my fav movie, besides maybe Remember Me. As for my kids, they have all seen Twilight, maybe 5 times, even my 3 yr old. They love it, the 6, and 8 yr olds like it the most. They cheer for the good guy and the bad guys and the scene in her bedroom is the only place in the movie that I am a bit uncomfortable with but I didnt make a big deal of it and neither do they.
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written byJGLawson65 September 25, 2009

Not the role model movie that people try to make it out to be

I haven't read the books but really want to as I think I would like them better than the movie. I thought Bella was a sulky unhappy teenager who had way too much free time to romp in the woods with a boy. I thought Edward was creepy. The scene in the bedroom when Bella was in her underwear was inappropriate and if I had a teenage daughter I wouldn't want her thinking that was okay. The love is too obsessive and I think that it is way too Romeo and Juliet. I fear that teens today will take it way too seriously and feel it is so them against the world thing and do something stupid. Didn't feel it set a good role model for high school kids. Teens should be focusing more on friends, fun, sports, lightheartedness, and future college plans. Not so much on giving up your life for a love interest. Geez.
Adult Written bystacymavros April 16, 2009

Unexpectedly good.

A bit violent but only in a couple of scenes--this movie was better than expected as an adult who had not read any of the books. My 13 year old daughter and her friends enjoyed this movie as well--this one is PG 13 but Marley & Me got a PG--what??? Parents, skip Marley & Me and rent Twilight instead.
Adult Written bycamillef January 23, 2009

The best "B quality" movie I've seen

It's a love story. Plain and simple. Appropriatly done for the tween scene. And if it inspires kids to read the books that's all the better. Heck, I think Edward is hot too!
Adult Written byJulia from Sweden November 17, 2011

Nah... Not my favourite.

Edward is creepy and stalks the personality-freed Bella (sexual behaviour). To be fair this isn't the movie's fault - the books are the same. However, the acting is so unconvincing and flat that it affects my opinion of this film. The lead actors are the worst ones anywhere. Yes, Bella is supposed to be sour and insecure but with more than one facial expression. Script is not the best it could have been, either. Kids have to understand that Edward is acting strangely, and so is Bella.
Parent of a 6, 8, and 13 year old Written bylala6745 April 27, 2011

I wish they never filmed it...

This made the book look bad! The actors were horrible, and totally unfit for the characters! Unlike the book, there was NO humor in it!
Adult Written byvicky92 September 14, 2010

Tell your kids to read the books first!!

I gave it 2 stars for how bad this movie is, film wise, but it's totally ok for any age. The only thing I didn't agree with was Bella making out with Edward in her underwear. BUT only becuase it wasn't in the book haha. But I mean the entire story of Bella and Edward is always about love without sex, so no bad role models here.
Parent of a 2, 7, 9, and 12 year old Written byybarra_clan December 25, 2009
Adult Written byVolleyGirlLove June 30, 2010

Dialogue and acting is always done awkwardly.

I thing Twilight was okay. It had poor acting and dialogue. Concerns would be the violence and some small sexuality. It has a very bloody, intense scene in a ballet studio in which bad vampire James tries to kill Bella. James is shown breaking her leg which makes a sharp crack that might be repulsive for some. Bella is shown being slammed into a wall which blood then spurts as she screams in pain. She also has to pull glass out of leg and hand which is disgusting and bloody. Edward and James fight but no blood. Alice rips off James's head. For sexuality Edward and Bella share a VERY passionate kiss moving together on a bed during which Bella wears very short shorts that may be considered underwear. Edward stops himself after about a minute. There are also several fun scenes in the movie. I would recommend it for 11+ though I'm sure younger have seen it too. People who like the movie may be drawn to the actors. Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson are NOT good role models. they both smoke and Kristen has been reported smoking pot. Try to avoid them as favorite actors and actresses or role models.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byking hulk March 6, 2010

I LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Parent of a 13 year old Written byroyalblue246 August 8, 2010

My high hopes destroyed!!!!!!!

Ok let me start this by saying the twilight books are like heaven bound by cloth stephemie meyer should be put up on a pedistool and praised, I adored the BOOKS!!! So when I saw the movie it made me want to run to the bathroom rip out my lungs and puke out my heart! I wish I could have given this less than 0 stars! they got every thing so ******* screwed up! Robert P. Looks like a **** HOBO he can't ******* act, sing, shave his **** face, wax his hairy *** chest, his teeth look lik some one took a **** on paino keys! And he is NO Edward Cullen!!!! Kristen S. sounds like a ******* old man! She looks like she is wearing those hobo teeth you get out of a vending machine. Characters were missing! Almost all of the characters did not look how they were discribed in the book, MANNY important parts were missing!!!!! Don't even get me started on the Cullens house it was NOTHING like it was didcribed in the book!! I don't ever recall ANYONE saying anything about compost tea or going to a **** green house!! EVERYTHING was just SO screwed up!!!!! It amazes me how people are under the placbo effect that Robert P. is attractive!!!!! GOSH every time I see anything about this movie it reminds me of the time when I was gloriously over joyed that the movie was not out yet! I loathed this movie! And now people are judging the Twilight books on this **** **** of a movie! This movie made me get a thearpist her name is Linda!!!!!!!!!!!!
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written byMarinewife1024 March 26, 2010

LOVED this!! But anyway, I didn't let my daughter watch it till about 2 weeks ago. There is quite a bit of violence towards the end and there is one scene where the two main characters get alittle frisky when they're alone. There is no grinding or nudity but they make out rather seriously and get very close. It's over very quickly and like I said there's no grinding or nudity but it may offend some young children. Other than some violence and one extremely short make out scene the movie is quite tame. Remember these stories were meant for younger readers and the movies don't stray too much from that.