All parent member reviews for Twilight

Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written byRodriguez2 September 18, 2010

Why not just tell your daughters they must lose their soul to gain happiness?

This movie romances the idea of stalkers and poor female role models. It reduces the prominent female to helpless without her (vampire) companion. This is not a model we should be showing young girls. The fact that the main character simply cannot function without Edward is astonishing, and exemplifies depression as the proper way to gain attention. Parental figures are almost non-existent, as are quality adult role models. The acting was atrocious, at best.
Parent of a 17 year old Written byMusicteacher July 6, 2010

OK for older kids; 12 and under, not so much

For those worried about the content of the books or films, be aware, these works were never aimed at those 12 years old and younger--they were originally targeted at high-school students. I noticed several comments from parents uncomfortable with Twilight's discussions of sex, virginity and intimacy. That material is indeed appropriate for mid-to-late teenagers; trust me, whether or not you approve, they are already having those discussions, although maybe not with you! Better to read a book together, or go to a movie, and then discuss the issues afterwards--you can use those times as a teaching moment. My biggest problem with the works isn't sex or violence, it's the false values--the worship of wealth and beauty--that seems to underlie them.
Adult Written byrawrrocker July 5, 2010

Mixed, vaguely chauvinistic messages.

The thing that really disturbs me about children watching this is the unhealthy messages that the relationship between Bella and Edward send. Not only is it obsessive, but it is also mildly misogynistic. After being blown off and ignored by Edward, Bella proceeds to become more attached and interested in him regardless of his rejection. In the relationship, Edward is the one fully in control and Bella is subservient to his desires. It just concerns me what messages about a "normal" relationship this is sending to young girls.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byErin6126 April 12, 2010

Great on DVD

Wasn't really that impressed. Although I hadn't read the series before seeing this movie. Enjoyed it several times on DVD since the reading.
Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written byarudek805 September 26, 2009

Read the Book

Robert Pattison might be dreamy in the eyes of every tween girl. but the bad acting and low quality special effects make this movie painful to sit through.
Adult Written byVolleyGirlLove June 30, 2010

Dialogue and acting is always done awkwardly.

I thing Twilight was okay. It had poor acting and dialogue. Concerns would be the violence and some small sexuality. It has a very bloody, intense scene in a ballet studio in which bad vampire James tries to kill Bella. James is shown breaking her leg which makes a sharp crack that might be repulsive for some. Bella is shown being slammed into a wall which blood then spurts as she screams in pain. She also has to pull glass out of leg and hand which is disgusting and bloody. Edward and James fight but no blood. Alice rips off James's head. For sexuality Edward and Bella share a VERY passionate kiss moving together on a bed during which Bella wears very short shorts that may be considered underwear. Edward stops himself after about a minute. There are also several fun scenes in the movie. I would recommend it for 11+ though I'm sure younger have seen it too. People who like the movie may be drawn to the actors. Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson are NOT good role models. they both smoke and Kristen has been reported smoking pot. Try to avoid them as favorite actors and actresses or role models.
Parent of a 5 year old Written bykee10 August 14, 2010

Good for teen plus

Eclipse movies are good, but only for those 13 and older. There are way too many younger girls watching them. The subject matters are definantly teen and up.
Adult Written byRileyx July 16, 2010

Perfect for older kids +

I think the Twilight saga is amazing! It must not be missed. The books are also great and they get you hooked. Team Riley x :P P.s, Eclipse is AWESOME!! It's the best film and Breaking Dawn is the best book. :D
Parent of a 11 and 12 year old Written bychrissys880 April 4, 2010
Adult Written by21stcenturycritic October 26, 2010

This is not Love. This is Infatuated Obsession.

Hate it. Yes this movie/book promotes abstinence until marriage but that is all it does. promoting abstinence is not enough to make this a good movie. It is an attractive storyline to adolescent girls not because it has good morals (it only has one) but because every low self-esteemed, angst ridden, hormonal teenager (and older single women) is going to easily relate to Bella (the main character). Not because she's easy to relate to but because she is a shell where the viewers are able to place their lives into it simply because Bella is not a 3-Dimensional character. This is bad story telling. The message is NOT what I would ever let my Teenage daughter be exposed to (without thoroughly analyzing it). Any parent worth their salt should take a closer look at the underlying message: It is OK to become completely and blindly dependent on someone else without regard for logic or mental health. It is OK to put yourself in harms way for someone else. It is OK to abuse your partner It is OK to neglect all other facets of life It is OK to become obsessed with one person to love that person only because of what they look like and not because of who they are. The above all happens in the book/movie between the main characters. And there are more reasons, these are just to name a few. Edward is abusive, controlling and disrespectful to Bella - in spite of his traditional view with marriage. Bella is (although book smart) passive, naive, obsessive, emotionally inept, impulsive, causes self harm, reckless, and cannot make smart decisions. The relationship between Bella and Edward, although passionate, is not Love. It is Infatuated Obsession. Why? Because NOT ONCE is Bella OR Edward attracted to each other by anything other than their looks/biology. Why does Bella love Edward? Because he's beautiful and is alluring. An aspect that all vampires carry in this book that does not serve to make Edward more unique and leaving only his beauty. Meaning? Bella only likes Edward because he is pretty. In the books, Bella repeatedly mentions Edward's looks -eyes, skin, breath. However, she never mentions an attraction to any other of his more ideal traits. Why does Edward love Bella? It's not because she's smart, it's not because she's endearing. It is because she SMELLS good. It is admitted in both the book and movie that he is attracted to her because of the smell of her blood which he equates to his "own personal brand of heroine". This is not love. This is not a message any adolescent child should be exposed to when they are growing up, finding themselves and trying to understand the world they live in. If anything this is a message of what kind of relationship one should not be in. Abusive, Controlling, Co-Dependent, Blind.
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written byJGLawson65 September 25, 2009

Not the role model movie that people try to make it out to be

I haven't read the books but really want to as I think I would like them better than the movie. I thought Bella was a sulky unhappy teenager who had way too much free time to romp in the woods with a boy. I thought Edward was creepy. The scene in the bedroom when Bella was in her underwear was inappropriate and if I had a teenage daughter I wouldn't want her thinking that was okay. The love is too obsessive and I think that it is way too Romeo and Juliet. I fear that teens today will take it way too seriously and feel it is so them against the world thing and do something stupid. Didn't feel it set a good role model for high school kids. Teens should be focusing more on friends, fun, sports, lightheartedness, and future college plans. Not so much on giving up your life for a love interest. Geez.
Parent of a 5, 8, and 10 year old Written bymomof3girls October 10, 2009

Relationship issues not appropriate for pre-teens

Though there isn't too much in the way of blatant sex or that type of thing, the whole movie is about an incredibly intense obsessive relationship between a teenage girl and a "teenage" vampire (who is actually over 100 years old) I loved the books, liked the movie, but my pre-teen girls are not seeing it (or reading it) for several years.
Parent of a 13 year old Written bytealsweety January 10, 2010

it was ok... the book was a LOT better.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bychildrensrock February 24, 2010

twilight, bit to sexual....way to violent!!!!

my "little" 12 years old girl loves twilight but...i am just thin the movie is a little violent..i watched the movie with her once (she has seen twilight 6 times!) and i saw this part that was a bit sexual..and i don't think it is a good idea for kids under 13 years old to watch sexual stuff....and it was way too violent...but first my kiddo loves it....i will give it four stars
Adult Written bywonder dove January 17, 2010

Not so good.....

I didn't see this until I had nothing else to watch, so I gave in. Thinking it may have been worth it from people's reviews, it was just awful! A total snooze fest. Acting was super bad and the storyline was VERY boring! Kristen Stewart was not suited to play Bella at all, she's too frigidy & emotionless. It's just way too overrated. I think the younger crowd likes it only because of the "hot" actors which are hyped up by the media and the idea of vampires. Not appropriate for under 13 I'd say..gives all the wrong messages to the youngsters. 2 thumbs down!
Parent Written byPlague March 2, 2010

Twilight

What is happening to vampire cenima? Seriously? Vampires are suppose to be blood-drunk contorted monsters. Not pale hormonal teenagers.
Adult Written by403-call-meee February 4, 2011

baddddddddd

this book is the worst book in the world
Parent of a 13 year old Written bytwzzlrgirl November 10, 2009

Perhaps a poor message for teenage girls....

I admit to loving this book, although I thought the movie was uneven and poorly acted. HOWEVER, in many ways I think the messages in this movie are not for girls entering their teen years. The entire plot is based on Bella's increasingly obsessive need to be with Edward, despite the dangers to herself or her family. And, frankly, subsequent books and movies only get worse. Only recommended for girls who can enjoy the entertainment value but have a good (and strong) head on their shoulders.
Adult Written byFaeyas October 13, 2009

Messages you don't want to send your kids.

One issue I have with the Twilight movie and the books in general is that Bella doesn't seem reasonable at all. Her judgement is lacking severely, and she puts herself in danger and just does what she wants without thinking of the consequences. Furthermore she does all this for a boy. Would you want your daughter running off in the middle of the night if she new her boyfriend was about to do something potentially dangerous? Would you want her thinking its o.k. to obsess over her boyfriend to the levels that Bella does? would you want her thinking that its ok to let her boyfriend come into her room at night? Bella is far to dependent on Edward that she literally seems to have problems with her daily life because of it. No part of her resembles a role model, and her actions send wrong messages. Like lying to your parents to protect your boyfriend. The Family values you get from the vampire family are good. This is a small saving grace. It would have been better had Bella's own family been that dependable, and if Bella would have trusted her own family that much.
Parent of a 2, 5, and 10 year old Written bygonzoduo April 18, 2009

Thought the movie was decent for older children that can handle the content. Sexual content too much for my 10yo girl and violence was questionable.