All parent member reviews for Valkyrie

Parent of a 8 and 12 year old Written bypurljam7777 August 20, 2009

Excellent movie for adults...."iffy" for children, based on age and emotional maturity

I know I'm probably going to be slammed for this, but I am going to admit that I watched this movie with my 8 year old son......after he saw Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, he began making statements about "Germans" and "Nazis"---I was repeatedly offended by this, and made a point, as I always do, to emphasize that people should not be judged on race, ethnicity, religious beliefs, etc. and that discrimination to any degree is unacceptable to me. After hearing repeated negative remarks about how "all Germans are killers" and love Hitler--I sat him down to explain that there were many attempts to assasinate Hitler--BY GERMANS!! He couldn't believe his ears. When National Geographic showed a special on Valkyrie (the actual event--not the movie), he watched it with me. I rented it, watched it first without him, and then watched it with him.... I think the message was loud and clear--and PLEASE don't judge me for this--I know 8 may be too young...but I know the personal limitations of my children, and he handled it just fine. We discussed it--and it appears that his streak of discrimination regarding Germans as a whole has ceased.
Parent Written byJLFM May 8, 2012

Mediocre, kids will be bored

Parent Written byPlague January 19, 2010

Valkyrie

An excellent film for sure. Loved it from beginning to end, and the plot followed very well. I have so say, this is one of Tom Cruise's best films yet.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byjaredfaux August 11, 2009

ok for kids

great movie. the history was correct and my kid loved it (after i explained the entire movie to him in kid version) the was a bit iffy for tween's and some of the swearing was explicit.
Parent of a 9 year old Written bycrystalp June 3, 2009

Very interesting movie. I enjoyed the historical aspect of it. The violence was a little harsh, but overall, I enjoyed it.
Adult Written byilikemusik23 May 25, 2009

Great Suspenseful Thriller

I got to see this movie back in the cinema in christmas time also seeing a few other movies as well. This one was a great historical thriller that also worked because it was suspensful and had a great story that kept you interested. It may be confusing to younger audinces which is why i dont reccomend it to people who cant pay attention for long. On the other hand there isnt too much to worry about here besides a bit of violence and one F bomb.
Parent of a 12 and 16 year old Written byworkers February 5, 2009

You can't beat real stories... even if you do know the ending

Great film. Surprising that they don't dwell on why von Stauffenberg was so motivated against Hitler. That way it does avoid graphically revealing the real horror of the Nazi's - relying instead on the narrative to do this. Great acting, well put together. The certificate is very much warranted for the end scenes which although aren't gratuitous do leave you with a heavy heart. I went with my Dad who's in his late 60's and he loved it too - reckoned it was the best film he's seen for ages.
Adult Written byAnna_lana January 20, 2009

Great, moving film

I found Valkyrie to be very interesting and gripping. As a history buff, I knew some of the details of the actual plot, but I still found the movie very great. The movie does a great job of illustrating the situation and actions of those involved. The violence would be too much for younger viewers, but truly shows what happened without beating around the bush. I would recommend this movie, especially to those interested in historical events. Some of the people I saw it with said it moved too slowly, but I felt that it didn't matter. Be prepared for some very sudden loud noises.
Adult Written byBucFan January 16, 2009

Great Movie

I cannot figure out why so many movie critics gave Valkyrie a negative reveiw. I thought this was an amazingly accurate account, as well as entertaining and suspensful. All the actor's performances were wonderful and I thought Tom Cruise did an excellent job with his character. Many intense moments in this film where you are sitting on the edge of your seat. My husband and I loved it.