All parent member reviews for War of the Worlds

Parent of a 12 and 18 year old Written bytbaudler1410 April 19, 2009

asgsf

Very good but not scary or bad
Parent of a 17 year old Written bylove2 September 26, 2009

a terrifying movie but also agreat one

i watched this movie when i was 9 and couldent sleep at all! i was terrified.
Parent Written byDuncanDerund August 30, 2014

Movie

I think this should be R for alien violence and language.
Adult Written byEnclave February 15, 2013

Timeless Modern Classic

Most remakes do not meet up with the original film. With the newer version of War of the Worlds, Stephen Spielberg brings updated visuals and much more present-day relevant story that all characters seem to fit perfectly well. Tom Cruise like always, plays his role perfectly, nailing every aspect of his personality with convincing and powerful acting. You will watch this film many times and be impressed each time you watch it.
Adult Written byJEDI micah April 25, 2012

WE'RE UNDER ATTACK!!!

To be honest, this movie thrilled me! There were several moments where I thought the main characters were going to be done for! It's a great alien movie! The aliens and their spacecraft looked cool and the destruction of the buildings were also impressive. But parents, this movie may be too intense for kids age 14 and under. There is one scene where the main human characters are under attack by other humans. More importantly, the aliens may look too frightening. Other than that, this is a great on-the-edge-of-your-seat movie!
Parent Written by@@@ December 16, 2011

Great, but Cruise ruins it.

I gave this movie two stars because no film with tom cruise in it really deserves a pass. If they did deserve to pass, I would have given this a four--it's that good, although it could certainly traumatize children below seven. It is brutal, and any more blood would push the rating to "R".
Parent of a 13 year old Written byLTM312 April 10, 2010

War of the Worlds-2005-Skip over the basement scene

"War of the Worlds"-2005 with Tom Cruise as Ray is everything a movie goer would expect in an effects laden, classic story/movie remake in the early 21st century. The aliens are truly inhuman and vicious, the world they attack is modern, the people, "just like us." The theme of this WOW does not deal with British colonial exploitation (the book) or the dangers of Communism (the 1953 version) but instead focuses on a man comming to grips with being an adult once his children's lives are at stake. The movie runs along at a rapid pace, family in-fighting juxtaposed against the horrible carnage the alien invaders inflict on the human race. The one section of the film not suitable for any child, is the "ambulance driver" scene in which Ray must kill another man with a shovel to keep his daughter safe.This from the man that took the guns out of "ET" when it was released in DVD. Other than that, an almost perfect film that really balances action, sci-fi, and horror.
Adult Written bygamenerd323 February 1, 2010

One of my favorite movies

This movie is great in every way. But it is bloody, there is a part were aliens are harvesting peoples blood, there is literly blood everywhere, on the characters, one the ground, in the air, everywhere! There is also a part were people are varporated, another bloody riot scene, in this scene children are part of the riot! And in that riot scene, there is nothing censored, blood is shown where ever it is called for! There is fair amount of bad language too, like s**t, da** and as*. But the movie is great!
Parent Written byPlague December 17, 2009

War of the Worlds

Great movie! I've owned it for quite some time now ( a few years) and I still watch it every once in a while.
Adult Written byNinjaGuy788 June 19, 2009

Great movie, WAY TO DISTURBING!

This is a great movie but at times has some R rated stuff. What is it: Bodies are seen floating in a river, a mother of a young boy is vaporized along with many other people, it is implyed that a mother and daughter die and a boy tries to join the army. My rating: PG-13 for Intense and Disturbing scenes of Sci-Fi Violence throughout, lanquage and brief smoking.
Parent of an infant, infant, 3, and 5 year old Written byMississippiQueen January 7, 2009

Adult Written byweedthenmulch April 9, 2008

I was riveted by the realistic action.

As an eighth grader in 1970 I recall listening to a long play album of the 1940's era broadcast by Orson Wells. It was a terrific recording and event. It brought the era of radio broadcasts alive for me. As a teenager I read the story and loved the descriptions of the martian machines. This movie was also very exciting. I loved the beginning where they were running through the streets. The humor in Tom Cruise asking his teenage son to pack a cardboard box of food - and then complaining about the contents was a welcome relief from the tension. I would recommend it for adults and children over 12.
Adult Written byCrazy Chel April 9, 2008

Intense and Incredible

Very realistic view of one man's attempt at saving his family. You never know how anyone else did, but that's not the goal of the story. His family overcame adversity by using their strengths, and weaknesses, to their advantage. Some language and obvious violence make it a definate 13 and up. But the intensity, combined with current national disasters, made me run home and make sure my family is prepared for emergiencies..ie: more than ketchup and peanut butter in the cabinets!
Adult Written byrhapsody722 April 9, 2008

not for kids

this movie was great special effects wise. this movie was terrible storyline wise. There were things that made no sense at all-i would give examples but don't want to upset people. Wait until it's out on dvd-it shouldn't be long.
Adult Written byflorida mom April 9, 2008

Violent and Dumb

This movie had great special effects, Tom Cruise had a great leather jacket. Other than that, the whole thing was just plain dumb. It is way to graphic and scarey for even most young teenagers. Worse than that, there is no discernable story here.
Adult Written byturtle April 9, 2008

Wow. Excellent detail

This was a great movie. So much action and it really deserves an award for sound editing. One of my fav movies, but very intense. Need to be 13 or up. Great story of survival of the fitest.
Adult Written bytommysportsgirl April 9, 2008

Is Steven losing his touch>????

He hasn't made any really good classics for quite some time! Whatever happened to Jaws and Jurassic Park???
Adult Written bybturtle April 9, 2008

I *** my pants more than once!

If you don't like horror films, this is not a movie for you. The plot is good. The tripod spaceships were overwhelming and scary in a sudden sense. The language could have been toned down and was not necessary to the plot. Unneeded wreckless behavior which showed mankind as uncaring which focused upon the "violence" and not the helpfulness of humanity in stressful situations. The suspense was there but they did not surprise you quickly. Instead the fear ended like a slow release of air from a balloon. Suggest parents see the film first before taking students below the age of 15.
Adult Written byAmyjoy610 April 9, 2008

Quite a freaky movie!!!

This movie was pretty freaky, it had me on the edge of my seat most of the time, me and friends all agreed it was pretty scary and violent, definitley dont take kids under 13!!!
Adult Written bycarsohyeah April 9, 2008

I loved it!

Im 12, and it was real good, people come on its WAR of the worlds, its going to be violent, it was great, and if u say only 14 year olds can take it, your very wrong, i sat through signs, private ryan, and even that one war movie in nigeria, look, if your kid likes action and sci-fi go to it, but please, no ten year old girls named rachel, she will be having nightmares for a little while