Kid reviews for Welcome to the Dollhouse

A dark look at adolescence; not for kids.

Based on 1 review

Teen, 17 years old Written byBestPicture1996 December 10, 2013

This film is way more brutal than a horror movie!

Here's my difficult admission: I wanted to give this film a lower rating because it didn't end like a Disney film; all wrapped up with a pink ribbon. Dawn is not your "oh woe is me" picked on kid; like a person in her position would, she bullies and picks on the people lower than her status or younger than her. While thankfully this was not the case for my middle school/high school experiences, I know of so many who are going through this, and perhaps teachers should be showing kids this extremely cynical, poignantly humorous indie as a way to demonstrate what not to do and how bullying takes its toll on the victims.

Teen, 13 years old Written bylisa.beth.rose June 29, 2011

Darkly amazing.

This movies revolves around Dawn, a not so pretty 12 or 13 year old who gets relentlessly bullied at school and ignored or mocked at home. She has no friends except for one boy who threatens to rape her (Though they make it apparent he doesn't exactly know what it means) It's terrible and darkly hilarious and a very good quirky film and funny look at suburban life. Kind of like American Beauty in a way, but maybe not as good.

Teen, 13 years old Written bydklink94 April 9, 2008

loved it. i can kinda relate to this one :X

Sexual Content: references to sex and rape (about 4) Violence: references to kidnapping (3) and rape (4) Language: Too Many to name. its all here. F--k, b---h, f----t, f-g, a--hole, c--t, etc. Drugs/Alchohol: one of the main characters friends is a druggie Commercialism: Walt Disney World is mentioned about 3 times. Social Behavior: middle school kids relentlessly taunt main characters (much like middle school kids do in real life [trust me i would know]) overall. this is a good movie for about 14/15+ some of the content will go right over the kids that are a bit younger's heads. definately realistic. some people might be able to relate slightly which might make it kind of tough for some people to bear. good story. enjoy!