All parent member reviews for Where the Wild Things Are

Parent of a 8 year old Written byYlonen Fam October 23, 2009

I took my 8 yr old step-son to this movie for his birthday. We had been reading about it and knew that it wasn't really a "kids" movie but we still wanted to see what it was about. I personally loved it, with a 8 yr old that has been through many issues with his mother and some anger problems this move was perfect! It showed him that he was not alone when he felt certain ways. I also loved the way that dialogue was meant for kids, it helped him to get into it more. I think this is a great movie.
Adult Written byBookMomToo April 16, 2010

BEST MOVIE of the decade!!!

My children all loved the book, and grew up listening to all of Maurice Sendak's books over and over upon request. I am not usually one to go to the movies, my forte is reading. My oldest son saw the movie, he is a sophmore in college, and told me I needed to see it. He confided that he cried. It has taken me months and months to getting around to finally seeing it, and I can't begin to say enough WONDERFUL things about it!!! What I don't understand is the gloom and doom reviews it was given with so much talk about how scary it was. Personally I think it was incredibly thought provoking and insightful in portraying childhood in all its glory. I would have no problem showing it to any child five and up as it was not Hollywood violent and the subject matter, language, and visuals are all appropriate.
Adult Written byredsxfenway January 31, 2010

Should remain unseen

**** Mild spoilers ahead**** This was one of my favorite books as a child and one of my least favorite movies as college student. To those who know Jonze, it's not surprise the way the film ended up. It's angst-ridden and filled with light easy-listening indie pop music. I'm not one for nostalgia but this film utterly failed to capture the spirit of the book. It seems like Maurice Sendak, who was involved in the making of the film, forgot what he wrote more than 35 years ago. The book had a story of adventure and freedom, while the film is overly-dramatic, filled with almost constant sadness. There's nothing wrong with a film departing from the book its based on, but this film is a poor one even in a vacuum. The constant sorrow in the film takes away from what could be a very touching scene of Max leaving the island. Because the characters are so sad throughout the film, there's no real change in emotion in the final scene. Jonze puts the monsters in constant conflict with each other, back and forth between love and hate and it gets tiresome very quickly. However it is incredibly beautiful and the animation/puppetry is stunning. Children will likely be frightened by the violent interactions and probably turned off by the slow pace and dialogue that will likely be over their heads.
Adult Written byCSMomBB October 23, 2009

I don't understand all the negative reaction to this movie. It is a good movie--even though it is not the typical shiny, happy movie for kids--we have enough of those. I've seen many comments on what a violent movie it was. There was only one iffy scene (the arm scene). I thought the interaction between the characters was wonderful. The movie didn't wrap everything up in a nice tidy package at the end either. It made you think. And, different people can have different ideas of what the movie meant to them. I enjoyed taking my kids to a movie that made them question and think about things afterwards. While I wouldn't say that my 9 & 12 year old kids loved it, they did say that they liked it and thought it was different. And, I think different is a good thing.
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byThe Tim K October 21, 2009

Lazy and uninvolved parents leave your kids at home; the good parents take their kids

This movie is not for lazy parents. Uninvolved parents should leave their kids home. You are dead wrong if you think you can take your children to this movie without talking with them before, maybe during, and definitely after. The messages around lonliness are very powerful. The messages are around family, love, caring about others...it's really about Emotional Intelligence. And these messages are very complex, intimate, moving, and nuanced. The cinematography is intense and the directing is just odd enough to shake up the "normal" way that movies try to show personal connections. There is real value in this movie. You can teach your children to develop their own values with this movie. Just do it actively. If you're lazy with your kids, then don't take them until they're 16.
Parent of a 12 year old Written by1elysium1 June 27, 2013

TOO DISTURBINGLY DARK, SCARY, VIOLENT, ETC!!!!!!!

read 1ELYSIUM's review
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy October 12, 2012

I though it was gonna be a peice of crap,BUT I WAS WRONG!!!

I don't know what the Oscars are talking about when they treat this movie like dirt.It's a thrilling,action packed movie,so stop bashing it,Oscars.
Adult Written byJEDI micah June 7, 2012

Not like the book!

Even though this movie is based on the children's book, it is actually kinda sad and somewhat frighening. There's also a surprising amount of violence, mostly punches and throwing debris. Besides all that, this movie does teach about growing up and how streesful it can be sometimes. This movie is ok for kids ages 8 and up.
Parent Written bys.asbury April 27, 2012

think first

This movie was good. I would not show it to children under 11. The relationship themes are very mature and the overall movie is quite depressing.
Parent of a 10 year old Written bywhitt105 March 31, 2012

Review this movie before sharing with your child/ren.

My daughter is a mature, thoughtful 10 year old. She said she liked the movie, though she found it dark and disturbing. I agreed and wished we had waited til she was a bit older to see it. We have always avoided any violence in movies, so this had a strong affect on her. Overall, a worthwhile movie with powerful messages about "family" dynamics, anger, regret, jealousy, love, ...I think we'll be discussing and interpreting this movie for some time to come.
Parent Written byTrails2Ocean March 24, 2012

Bizarre depressing movie

Freakishly weird, depressing movie. Hated it, kids hated it, not recommended!
Adult Written bykeeyan January 29, 2012

this movie is just fine

i have nothing to say
Parent of a 13, 13, and 15 year old Written byJawsFan3000 October 17, 2011

Too violent for anyone but mature teens and adults.

My MPAA rating: R for constant scenes of intense disturbing violence.
Parent Written byBishop Loves Gir September 27, 2011

WHAT THE..........

I did not like this movie.it is dark and creepy.Parents will be bored and kids will be frightened.a kid runs away,a chickens arm is pulled off and more.also a boy bites his mom
Educator Written byWagz2011 August 15, 2011

Very engaging and thought provoking movie exploring the complexities of interpersonal relationships.

Very engaging and thought provoking movie adaptation of a well loved classic children's story book, that explores themes of dysfunctional relationships as well as effective relationship management, loneliness, anger, forgiveness, accepting and facing up to consequences, and Love. Though the imaginary characters are strange yet lovable at the same time and may appeal to young children and adults familiar with the children's story book, the themes and many scenes as well as some language is unsuitable for younger children, and parental guidance and explanation of the underlying messages is highly recommended for older children.
Parent of a 5, 6, and 10 year old Written bymama p May 14, 2011

Beautiful hard core symbolism by a brilliant director...for adults

I would like to start by saying that i LOVE Spike Jones and think he is brilliant. This movie is not an exception; but not for kids. This movie was written for the generation that grew up in this book.... the home scenes even embody the late 70s/early 80s vibe. This movie captures intensely the emotions involved with children experiencing divorce. It is emotionally violent. Really sad. Kids would unlikely get that.... not many parents could even put it together. This is great film for someone to watch if they want to know what it feels like to have a disfunctional broken family. If your children are sensitive (ie have not been de-sensitized by media) I would not subject them to these emotions. If disney has already succeeded in dumbing and numbing their emotional bodies then i'm sure they'll enjoy huge puppets bouncing around the screen and the huge piece of "bad-mom-guilt" cake the kid gets as a reward for running away for the night.
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written bySoftball mom February 23, 2011

This movie was just a nightmare. I regret having taken my kids to see it.
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byCzigany February 5, 2011

Use your judgement....watch it first if your kids can't handle it.

Not as bad as it's made out to be. Use your judgement on whether your kids are mature enough, or squeamish/get scared easily. My son watched it at 4, loved it, and walked away understanding the positive message. Everyone's different, though. There is violence, but the movie IS about monsters, so what did you expect? A good adaptation based on the book. Remember, the book is a classic with very little text so if you wanted exact "by the book", you would have had a 5 minute movie. Open your mind and judge based on what your child can handle. No sex issues or bad words, so it's fine with me.
Adult Written byclassictaste November 27, 2010

Boring, even to a 2 year old.

Most boring, no plot or character development - and almost just no plot - movie I think I've ever seen. Pure exploitation of just taking a kids' book - which has little plot or substance to it anyway compared to almost any other children's literature, and is significant only for its fairly ugly drawings - and making a movie out of it, by drawing it out for 90 min, or whatever its length was, with a bunch of non-directional,unsubstantial mucking around that really is about on the level of what a boring and untalented 4-6 year old would make up, addilng in some more interesting costumes and a llittle stupid humming music, and knowing that the public will go see it anyway and reviewers will rave about it because it is a kids' book. A self fulfilling profit prophecy. About as "creative" and interesting as a bunch of bored teenagers hanging around and throwing bottles at a wall to break them because they can't think of anything else to do. That's the plot. Amazingly, Sendak seemed to have a hand in producing this, which makes me think even less of his book than I did before.
Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byKikstersRT October 20, 2010

Perfect for older kids, but not for tweens

I really disliked this movie. I had a hard time getting past the first two minutes of the movie. First scene of him attacking a dog?? Loved the book though!