Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Whisper of the Heart

Sweet, romantic coming-of-age anime with strong role models.

Parent of a 8 year old Written byJeff75 January 19, 2015

Lovely movie with classic Ghibli themes and little fantasy scenes

Even if this movie is not as famous as other Studio Ghibli productions, it is well worth watching. The story and characters follow several classic Ghibli themes: how you grow up, the first love, the first doubts about yourself, how you relate to your parents and grand-parents, and special cats too! The movie has much less fantastic elements than better known Ghibli films, but the few fantasy sequences are excellent. There are several memorable scenes with true moments of grace, such as the improvised concert and the "walk" with the quite remarkable Baron Humbert von Gikkigen. There is a fine balance between humor and serious feelings during the whole story. Overall a lovely and consistent movie that charmed my 8-year old girl and me. Last remark about the very short smoking moment: it is there to underline the short moment of dismay that parents may have when the kid is going in the wrong direction but telling him/her may make things worse. It is clearly disapproved and acknowledged as bad by the smoker himself.

Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written byspringandrene November 8, 2013

Sweet, lovely, film with strong positive messages

A lovely sweet movie with the trademark Ghibli themes of fun, quirky humour, beautifully drawn and spoken little details, and positive messages all round. Our 9 year old daughter was entranced. Our 6 year also really enjoyed the film, although with a few "yuks" at the more romantic bits, which really go no further than holding hands in any case. One of the best Ghibli movies, and that is a real compliment.

Adult Written byRedburn May 15, 2012

My favorite movie

It's a kind of guide, for teens, it shows the best and healthiest way of dating these days.

Parent Written byCheveyo February 20, 2012

Beautiful family film!

This is an absolutely beautiful movie! It is a little slow at times, but it's fascinating to watch the characters interacting with each other in everyday situations. My 10 year old son really enjoyed it, even though it is a more sentimental movie. The overall message of this movie that struck me the most was to follow your dreams, but still prepare for the future. Kids should be able to relate to Shizuku because she is quite unsure of herself, but still wants to strive to accomplish her goals. In addition to the review above, there is one more scene with dad smoking in the background, plus a comment "this place stinks like cigarettes". Also - the older sister briefly appears in her bra. Overall - the animation, voice acting, and story are all beautifully well done. What else should you expect from Ghibli?