Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Why Him?

Funny but formulaic comedy has lots of crude material.

Adult Written byBobby S December 28, 2016

TRASH

Pure trash, the sex talk is pure trash. What a waste of star power. My wife and I walked out after 15 min.

Adult Written byStevie111 December 23, 2016

Why Him is a hysterical though silly Comedy

I thought Why Him was very, very funny. It can get a bit silly, but I didn't mind it. James Franco and Keegan Michael Key are brilliant. The main issue content wise is the language, which includes strong sexual humor, but very little sexual activity is seen. Things can get taken a bit far, but I never felt it was overkill. It is a fun, light film. I think most mature teens should be okay if they can handle language and sexual humor. I would definitely recommend Why Him.

Adult Written byDiana N. May 3, 2017

too many "F's" and I could only handle 10 minutes!!! I wouldn't recommend this for even 18+. Such stupidness. I really hate "R" movies for the language and sometimes silliness.

DO NOT TAKE YOUR YOUNGSTERS TO SEE THIS OR RENT THIS PIECE OF CRAP! WHY CAN'T HOLLYWOOD COME OUT WITH MORE MOVIES LIKE "LION", "HIDDEN FIGURES", OR "GIFTED" . GONE ARE THE DAYS OF REALLY WHOLESOME MOVIES LIKE "SINGING IN THE RAIN" OR "SOUND OF MUSIC"!!

Parent Written bygateway24 January 2, 2017

Disappointing and worse language and topics than I expected.

My husband and I saw this after reading the only review on here (at the time -Dec 23) and actually considered taking our 16 yr old based on the watered down review. I am reviewing for the first time ever to make sure a counterpoint is given; although I see several others beat me to it. Two minutes into the movie I was SO thankful we didn't cave and bring our son. The opening scene discusses f*cking and he's trying to expose himself to her on Facetime. From there, you could either lose count of m*ther f*cker or make it a drinking game every time it's said and you'd be in trouble. But let's say you can get over the utterly ridiculous amount of swearing -- move on to the sexual art (animals, I understand meant in jest), the explanation of what vaping with marijuana is, the boyfriend starting or*l sex with the girlfriend while her dad hides under the desk...I could write more and more. I can't even go into detail on the topic discussed at a party (although 1 reviewer on here does, so just read theirs). This movie was so disappointing. I should have known with James Franco, but it was really worse/raunchier than I expected. The reviewer that watered down this movie and said it was okay for under 18 is NOT telling the truth. I frequently check Common Sense for honest reviews when my kids ask to see movies and if anything the reviews are usually a little more strict than our family's opinion. This movie is absolutely for adults only - and even a particular crowd would enjoy it's humor.

Adult Written byDarla C. May 27, 2017

inappropriate for kids!

the movie overall was funny at times but had a hard time with the young brother playing in such an age onappropriate movie. I have a hard time understanding how anyone could be proud of a young actor playing in this movie. Total parental failure. this is what is wrong with our kids. They are exposed to way too much! This movie is by far an ADULT ONLY movie. I thought it showed disrespect to the girlfriends parents throughout and glorified it to the end.
Adult Written byJudy S March 14, 2017

Silly funny...

I checked IMDB and it gave the movie a 14A rating so I thought it would be ok to bring my 14 and 12 year old, I was a little blown away by the beginning of the movie. To be honest they really didn't understand the rest of the adult content. There wasn't much else to see that day and they insisted on watching it because they like James Franco. Overall, it wasn't so bad. But 16 plus for sure. Hope this helps...
Adult Written byBob H. April 16, 2017

Funny

Violence 2/5 slapstick humor. Sex 3/5 sex statues, sex jokes, implied sex scene, sexual terms. Language 4/5 f bombs, s words, a words, and more. Drugs 3.5/5 the mom got high on marijuana and drinking at a part is seen

Parent of a 17 year old Written byDesiree O. June 28, 2017

Awesome Movie

this movie will make you laugh so hard
Adult Written byPG D. February 11, 2018

Bad language

too much F's but has a good plot

Adult Written byterry j November 11, 2017

Loved it!

Best movie ever, however there was a lot of cursing.

Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written byJohn G. April 14, 2017

Hilarious!

Its funny and it has a lot of funny jokes a bunch of adult jokes but 10 year olds can handel that even they will laugh dont judge a movie by its rating but it does have a lot and i mean a lot of cursing.

Parent Written byJaqi-Sue C. January 21, 2018

Vulger

Constant vulgarity, horrible language, inappropriate behaviors. Turned off the movie very early disgusted.