Parent reviews for Winged Migration

As pretty and light as a feather on the wind.

No reviews yetAdd your rating
Adult Written byMollyMcBee March 29, 2019

Visually (and aurally) gorgeous, but caveat if your kid is sensitive to suffering

It’s a lovely film, but there is one “horrifying” scene (Roger Ebert’s word, and it’s fitting) where a bird that has a broken wing is unable to escape a mob of hungry crabs, who pile on top of the bird until you can’t even see it anymore to tell if it’s still struggling. I’m 65 and I will never watch that scene again. I can’t imagine how the other reviewers missed that. Anyway, if you know your child will get upset, watch this in segments and skip the crab scene. Nature is violent, but this scene is excessively cruel, in my opinion. Kids don’t need to be deadened to the suffering of others.

Adult Written bysagorsch April 9, 2008

Soaring Delight

I watched this documentary with my 4 and 6 year old, they were enthralled and wanted to watch it repeatedly!

I do not know why this is rated for 7+. Any child who loves animals and the outdoors or who are curious about them will enjoy this film.

We talked about gaming and trapping animals and what the kids would do if they ever saw an animal in the wild, trapped or otherwise. Good platform to talk about safety with wild animals.
Parent of a 6 and 8-year-old Written byDanzaJoy January 19, 2011

Scrumptious AND Educational

This is one of the most beautiful films. Visually captivating, it allowed me to talk with my 7 year old son (who is pretty hyper and into more action/adventure films) about bird migration, geography, distances, pollution and our role in taking care of the planet. Awe inspiring and a gorgeous educational opportunity.

Educational Value