Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Winter's Bone

Strong teen girl character drives grim but superb drama.

Adult Written byDebbiemac November 22, 2010

Good for 16+, Parents should discuss with kids

Very grim but realistic film. I would let my 16 year olds see it primarily because of the strong female character Ree who takes on tremendous responsibility for a teenager because the adults in her life are unable or unwilling to do so. My only criticism is the ending which is in keeping with the relentless realism of the movie but I would like to have seen a little more uplifting tone at the end. Still - a cautionary tale, an inspirational female character. I recommend for 16 and over, with parental discussion.

Adult Written byHoward Roark July 13, 2010
Basically a mob movie set in a rundown rural area: two clans involved in taking and making drugs. One guy gets busted and snitches on the other family so they kill him. That leaves his children to fend for themselves. The drama is the 17 year old trying to find out what happened and coming up against various nasty family members. Yes, the acting and cinematography is excellent, but the movie is bleak and depressing, despite the girl's perseverance. We care about the girl and her two siblings, but not really much and not at all about any of the rest of these people. Nothing new to learn, nothing to suggest life will change for any of these characters. Celebration of resourcefulness is way too generous and uplifting a term. The girl was resourceful only in that she didnt give up. Like watching an accident or so many of the sordid reality shows, where the only benefit is knowing your life is better. Certainly not entertaining and not much substance to consider afterward. Much ado about nothing.
Parent Written bytreat02 May 12, 2012

Great movie

I really, really like this show. Its story is very well written. I don't think this should have been rated R, PG-13. But parents, the language says about every word out there. And some very strong ones.

Adult Written byPL Hans March 8, 2011

Dark, intense, and beautiful

This film features superb acting, a great role model in the lead female, and a brutally honest portrayal of Missouri drug lords. It also contains a lot of drug use, some strong language, and a little bit of heavy-impact, non-graphic violence, which limit it too mature viewers.

Parent of a 3 year old Written bybbad June 14, 2010