Parent reviews for Wish Dragon

Wish Dragon Poster Image

Cute Family Night Movie

Christian mom here. Our kids, ages 4, 6, and 9, really like this movie. There are a couple of mild fighting scenes (other raters compared it to “Kung Fu Panda” type fighting, which is pretty accurate) and a couple of strange encounters with “a god” (not God). We used those scenes for teaching opportunities in our house, but our kids know the movie isn’t real or realistic. The message of friends and family being more important than worldly possessions is great. And frankly, I LOVE the wish dragon character. He’s hilarious. Sort of “Aladdin” like, but totally lovable. We will watch it again soon I’m sure.

1 person found this helpful.

Great family movie!

Feels like a retold tale of Aladdin with an Asian take. Great message about friendship and how money doesn't buy happiness. I love the representation for Asian culture. The dragon is funny. There is some Kung Fu fighting but most of it is done humorously. Definitely recommend for families because parents will enjoy the jokes too.

1 person found this helpful.

Did everyone else miss the heaven scene?

There are lots of fighting scenes like mentioned in other reviews, but I haven't seen any comments about the heaven scenes, or how the character who is "a god" is portrayed. When one of the characters gets to heaven, he refuses to stay, and won't enter. He argues with the "god" character who is trying to persuade the man to enter heaven. When he gets back to earth the character makes comments about how heaven doesn't have certain flavours of chips or air conditioning, so it was better to not stay there. The character who refers to himself as "a god" and stands at the entry to heaven is shown in 2 different scenes on earth wearing only underwear. We ended up fast forwarding part of the heaven scenes, and wouldn't recommend this.

Great Family Movie

I watched this with 4 of my kids. They are 11,12,15 and 16. They all enjoyed it, including myself. It’s very hard to choose a movie that the whole family will enjoy but this one was a winner. Very entertaining and comes with a positive message. Has a little bit from various other movies like Aladin, Mulan (the dragon) and Kungfu Panda but still it’s own movie.

Great for family movie night

This is exactly what I look for on our family movie night. Fun, moving, lots to talk about. My 6/8 year olds both loved it and my 3 year old ran in and out and liked what he saw. Great cultural representation. Many reviews say it is "copying" Aladdin but it seemed more like they were knowingly telling a deeper version of a story they loved in a different context. (I think at one point they even say something is "a whole new world.")

A really fun movie

This movie was really fun. Our four year old and two year olds enjoyed watching it. There were a couple laugh out loud moments. Our two year old LOVED whenever the dragon pops out of the teapot. There was name calling (stupid) just a couple times. There are scenes where the mom chases the main character and whacks him with a spoon angrily. I was able to talk to our 4 year old about how that mom was being unkind. The bad guy is a little scary, but nothing too intense. There was a sad scene near the end, that my son could tell was sad, but it didn't seem too much for him. Overall a really cute, fun movie.