Parent reviews for Wish Dragon

China-set animated comedy has great messages, some scares.

Adult Written byHerReelReview June 14, 2021

Wish Dragon provides a cultural remix to Aladdin

I watched this movie with my family for our "Mommy Movie Night" pick. The kids didn't pick up on the similarities between this an Aladdin, but my husband and I did. I really liked the message of the film. One difference is that we see the main character, Din, already understanding the importance of friendship; however, he does think that he has to change himself for his friend. There is more of a focus on character development of the dragon, Long (voiced by John Cho) who learns to put relationship over greed and personal wishes.

This was a fun movie that we will likely watch again.

Adult Written byMovieshake2020 June 12, 2021

Fun movie with great message

I watched this with my 9 year old and 11 year old. Both really enjoyed the diversity of characters, story, action scenes (nothing questionable at all...similar to Kung Fu Panda)....bonus was the very important message about friendship having more value than material things. In a world where our children (and who am I kidding, adults too) are constantly shown messages about how material things and wealth is so important, it was so refreshing to have a fun, modern story for children with a strong sense of values and family/friendship. Highly recommend for a fun movie with excellent values and message!

Adult Written byHayley30 June 14, 2021

An OK movie but not one I'd watch again

I thought some of the scenes of the movie were rather uncomfortable to watch. Overall though it was quite entertaining to watch and it definitely has a few lessons in it. For example, be careful what you wish for.

Parent of a 6-year-old Written byLauren W. July 24, 2021
Adult Written bygthang21 July 11, 2021

Great Family Movie

I watched this with 4 of my kids. They are 11,12,15 and 16. They all enjoyed it, including myself. It’s very hard to choose a movie that the whole family will enjoy but this one was a winner. Very entertaining and comes with a positive message. Has a little bit from various other movies like Aladin, Mulan (the dragon) and Kungfu Panda but still it’s own movie.

Parent of a 6-year-old Written byblissboy July 8, 2021
Parent of a 6 and 8-year-old Written byNatfondell July 2, 2021

Great for family movie night

This is exactly what I look for on our family movie night. Fun, moving, lots to talk about. My 6/8 year olds both loved it and my 3 year old ran in and out and liked what he saw. Great cultural representation. Many reviews say it is "copying" Aladdin but it seemed more like they were knowingly telling a deeper version of a story they loved in a different context. (I think at one point they even say something is "a whole new world.")

Adult Written bykc1984 June 29, 2021

A really fun movie

This movie was really fun. Our four year old and two year olds enjoyed watching it. There were a couple laugh out loud moments. Our two year old LOVED whenever the dragon pops out of the teapot. There was name calling (stupid) just a couple times. There are scenes where the mom chases the main character and whacks him with a spoon angrily. I was able to talk to our 4 year old about how that mom was being unkind. The bad guy is a little scary, but nothing too intense. There was a sad scene near the end, that my son could tell was sad, but it didn't seem too much for him. Overall a really cute, fun movie.
Parent of a 4, 8, and 13-year-old Written byjim from maine June 27, 2021

Pretty good!

There are not many decent movies for kids under twelve these days. So I really appreciate this one. Pretty funny, nothing really appropriate, and cute. Our 8 and 13 year old liked it.....our 4 and a half year old watched along too.
Adult Written byMMonterrosa June 22, 2021
Parent of a 5, 7, 9, and 10-year-old Written byImorzadec June 13, 2021

Very good movie but violent when it’s not necessary.

Adult Written byLuv4Paws June 12, 2021

So good! Warm hearted!

My kids are newly 8, 5, and 3. We enjoyed the preview on Netflix and without researching it, I let them watch it. It's hard to keep my 3 year old engaged, and he got a bit bored at times with the dialogue, but the comedy (and there's a lot!) made up for it.

I enjoyed the theme of friendship, second chances, being true to who you are, family... They say "stupid" a few times and there's minor violence, but it's a great movie! Think Kung Fu Panda comedy with "real people."

This is my first review, as I wanted to share how much we enjoyed!:)

Adult Written bykaven June 11, 2021

good

I think its a great movie and i think there is not anything bad and the worst part was probably when the men threw knives at him and blocked it with a table