All parent member reviews for World War Z

Adult Written bydm91214 June 20, 2013

The Smartest Zombie Movie

The film stays away from the gore and gives the audience plenty of suspenseful moment and scares. It could have been 'R' rated but it is justly rated 'PG-13". Many of the most graphic moments take place off screen. The story line is how do you combat these zombies and have the human race survive. Each nation has its own way of dealing with the problem. There's a lot of good dialogue that deals with the many issues that now plague our planet. I'm very conservative on what my kids watch and quite often I'll see a movie once to see if this is ok for my kids to view. It's the smartest Zombie movie that's been made in my opinion and I now plan to take my 13 and 17 year old to see this.
Parent of a 11 year old Written byGhostmama2 June 22, 2013

Pretty good with some intense scenes!

I thought this was a pretty good movie! However, there is a lot of violence (obviously...I mean, they're not NICE zombies! lol). I took my 12 year old daughter to see it and she really liked it. Brad Pitt's character was a very good role model as was the woman who played his wife in the movie. I didn't notice of ton of bad language and I don't think there was any sex or drugs. There are some intense moments (the airplane scene...OMG!). I think kiddos over 12 would be fine to see this!
Parent of a 11, 11, and 13 year old Written bycroaswife June 25, 2013

Intense but fine for older kids

I took my mature 13 year old son to see it. Yes, there was violence in the zombies attacking/being attacked but nothing too gross or crazy. The zombies are creepy. I can see where a younger child would be scared. I wouldn't take my 11 year old daughter to see this movie. Language - a couple bad words but nothing too bad.
Parent Written byMiss.Jennifer June 21, 2013

World War Z.....not children friendly

Why has this movie has received a rating of PG13?? I do not recommend this movie for children in their teen years at all. They were not lying when they said it was a horror. I have seen many horror films that have not scared me, that were rated much worse than this film. After seeing the film with my friends I can safely say that none of us are going to be able to sleep tonight. My recommendation to parents is avoid this movie or prepare for a restless night with your scared children.
Adult Written byAmericanplaya217 July 22, 2013

awesome but....

The movie is some what violent, many scares, and it has positive messages. At the end of the day the main character wants to save as many people as he can.
Adult Written bySlydog July 8, 2013

Fantastic but horrifying.

This is a great movie that absolutely horrified me. The violence is definitely not lacking in any shape or form. It isn't gory, but there are one on one fight scenes with people and zombies. This movie is more terrifying than it is inappropriate. I went with my mom and we both were very interested but very scared. This movie must have been on the edge of pg-13 and R. This movie is not age appropriate for young teens or tweens who might want to see this movie but maybe who are easily scared and have nightmares. However, for those who like to be scared, a perfect movie.
Parent Written byChester88 June 23, 2013

The trailer is as bad as it gets

This is a disaster-suspense movie, not a horror flick. World War Z provides intense, fast-paced action but little on-screen violence (does spraying bullets into a roiling mass of zombies in the middle distance count?) and no gore. The most visceral parts all take place just off-screen (with sound effects). The film is sometimes quite tense, but in terms of actual violence, there is very little in the film beyond that shown in the trailer. However, the street chase scenes at the beginning of the film and a scene showing people being sucked out of a hole in the side of an airplane may be too much for kids. This is the mildest zombie movie I have ever seen - The Walking Dead, which is rated TV-14, is significantly gorier and more directly violent.
Adult Written bymoviemaker201 September 26, 2013

World War Z

One of the best films to come out this summer. Gerry Lane is a former UN agent, living with his family. One day, they witness mass crowds of people acting violently and eating people, who later turn out to be zombies. Gerry, using his military connections, gets them a ride out of a violent, post-apocalyptic New York. Now, in exchange for protection for his family, he must work with the military to scour the Earth for a cure for the zombies. ---------- Violence: 8/10 ----- A bitten hand is amputated to prevent infection. A zombie is hit hard in the head with a crowbar, which lodges in its skull. Mass crowds of zombies eat and infect innocent people. Although we know the gore is there, the camera either cuts away from and implies it, or it shows it but doesn't linger on it. The apocalypse causes mayhem as people throw their values in the trash to stay alive. Sequences of tension and terror. A few suicides. ---------- Sex: 2/10 ----- A brief kiss or two is shared between Gerry and his wife. ---------- Language: 6/10 ----- Some cursing, most commonly Sh*t. Considerably clean by the standards of the zombie genre.
Adult Written bytackettgibson September 24, 2013

This film is actually good and educational. Not a typical Zombie film at all.

I don't understand the negative review. I actually really like this film and I disagree that it has no positive messages. First it provided a jumping point for me to talk about how there are agencies that try to coordinate health efforts across the world. You can talk about how vaccines work, why they are looking for "patient zero" etc. I have to admit I have had some experience in epidemiology, but none of those concepts require more than a cursory internet search. The disease and military dialouge may bore some younger kids. There are plot points they may miss. But mine still enjoyed it and I explained it when it got a little more complicated. The main character also sacrifices his own desires (to stay and protect his family) for the greater good. This was not completely without pressure, but he does the right thing, and is brave and persistent. There are also brave and smart women in the film. While their screen time isnt long and they are not leads, it is good to see the role models. It does require some suspension of belief. The main character survives multiple zombie attacks and then a plane crash. If fact only the two characters we are invested in survive the crash (rolled eyes). The book is also good though nothing like the film. The plots are completely different. They both tell the human story of an epidemic and neither the movie or book emphasizes the gore/blood, gross out material that this genre is known for. I liked it. I said 13, however my kids are 12 and they were ok with it. I was worried about my daughter's reaction, but she was curious about the vaccines (which play a large role) and the medical take on the "zombies". My son liked the bombs and guns. Neither said they were very scared. I guess I just have a very different take on the film than the CS reviewer. I think we will have a lot of positive (tho more educational than moral) conversations about the film.
Parent of an infant, infant, infant, 10, 10, and 18 year old Written byParentofwisdom August 25, 2013

Language, Zombies, Action Thriller Horror Movie

This movie freaked out my two 10 year old's and we all screamed. there was a lot of language too and the zombies freaked them out completely!
Adult Written byRarityfan August 9, 2013

The swarm.

This is a sci fi movie about what would happen if there was a worldwide zombie outbreak. A young brave man and his family is stranded in this classic style outbreak movie. The movie has a lot of shooting and explosions including scary looking entities. But it is so far out and Hollywood like too with swarms of living dead. Of the positive side the man and an army stands brave and will do the extreme to find a cure. One of the must see for 15 and up that likes outbreak movies. Of consumering there are a lot. A supermarket is overran like it was Christmas. In one scene there is a soda machine. It's a sci fi so there are of course many things like smartphones and supercomputers. Brad Pitt is seen everyday in fancy magazines, and even Croatian superstar Severina wrote about a song about him.
Adult Written byjoshua martinez July 2, 2013

14 and up.

world war z is a great action/adventure movie stars with brad pitt which he did a great job on his character role with that being said this zombie movie is good enough for your older teens to see but parents you need to know that world war z has a lot of intense violence shown especially the disturbing images on how the people turn into zombies when they get bitten and the zombies scary faces and characters used mild language throughout the film despite the violence and scary images the movie does have a positive message about using your intellect to solve a conflict, rather than just fighting. It's about solving a very complicated problem against terrible odds and not giving up The goal involves finding a tool for the fight, rather than a solution or a cure and the role model is that The main character would rather stay behind and protect his family, but instead he agrees to a deadly mission to try to find a cure for the zombie outbreak. Even when the odds are against him, he never gives up, and he resorts to violence only when necessary. Otherwise, he uses his wit cunning, and intellect to save the day.
Parent of a 12 year old Written by1elysium1 July 2, 2013

Very impressed...

FIRST OFF... let me thank and congratulate whoever decided to have the visceral gore be done off-screen... it was right on... allowing for a much wider audience... thank you. I can't wait for a future uncut/director's et. al. version. It was truly scary... some that makes you jump out of your seat, but mostly it was the thought of life ending as we know it, especially in that way. Brad was excellent... showing intelligence, patience, responsibility, sacrifice, being brave in spite of the fear/terror,... but above all, the responsibility and love towards/for his family... which is somewhat echoed by his wife (and kids). I thought the whole movie was done very well except the "END" end.... it feels like a fast quick added edit... doesn't flow with the movie... feels like a different movie... they should have left that part out.... or tie it in better with maybe something similar at the beginning to bookend... but doesn't need it.
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written bymovieloversof2 May 17, 2014

pretty good for a zombie movie

Allowed our 10 yr old after we previewed it 3 times. Our daughter loves scary stuff like goosebumps and haunting hour so we finally gave in at let her. Its nothing like your typical zombie movie blood guts brains. Of course there's violence its a horror movie but as for language intamcy and drug use very little to none. Wasn't gory but there is plenty of death.
Parent of a 11 and 13 year old Written byObi Wan July 19, 2013

Older kids only

Many 'jumpy' scare scenes. Zombies are creepy. Not good for any kid who scares easily, regardless of age.
Parent Written byjoaniew July 8, 2013

Watch out for trailers beforehand.....scarier than the movie itself!

My 10 year old son has a high threshold for action movies with this kind of intensity, so he handled the scary zombie sequences without incident. The previews/trailers, however, were another story....3 incredibly disturbing trailers in a row for ghost/home invasion/violence movies. He knows to "close his eyes and ears", but I wish they would develop a ratings warning for the trailers before the movie.....the movie was mild in comparison.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byA Bigger Parent March 20, 2015

My Smart 6-Year-Old Girl Loved It

I know what you're thinking: "This crazy guy let his 6-year-old girl watch this filth?" but hear me out, and I'm sure you'll still disagree with me. My brother and I were raised on some of the most violent, bloody, and "bad language" filled movies, TV, and video games growing up. Our parents only covered our eyes (literally and figuratively) from sexual content, and we both turned out to be compassionate, passive, anti-war, vegetarians. You might not agree with us politically or socially, but the fact remains that we respect others, in all forms of life, and are full of love and affection toward those close to us. That being said, I am doing the same thing with my children. I hope that they will grow up with the warmth and value for human life, and otherwise, that their smart and kind daddy did. So, she can watch whatever violence she thinks isn't too scary for her. She sometimes makes guesses on how they did the special effects, because she knows that that is what it is. I watch them first, and see if there is anything too bad, mostly just sexual content, and I OKed this film. As for the low rating for a good role model that most people are giving to this film: ---SPOILER ALERT--- Brad Pitt's character in this is the height of a caring and brave father, insistent on the safety of his family, and the world, from the very beginning. And at the end, he injects himself with a deadly disease, under the slightest chance that it might help others, and it does. It was terrifically heart-warming, and I think it could instill courage and true consideration in some of the most reclusive of people, and I'm glad I and my beautiful young daughter had a chance to see it. Thank you for reading.
Educator Written byShadowslayer November 28, 2014

Zombies... The Apocalypse Awaits!

Zombies! Loads of them! If you like The Walking Dead or Brad Pitt, this is the movie for you! Full of undead wannabies; camouflage and disease, ranging from the United States to Isreal, this movie covers the entire world in the accumulated search for a possible "cure" to stop the MADNESS! It only takes 12 seconds to become a Zombie -- will you be one of them? This movie truly connects the family together in a "gripping your seats" movie, with danger at every corner. Watch out for violence, there is truly quite a few scenes that are "iffy" for younger viewers. Also, the heighted tension is crazy. But a good movie nonetheless!
Adult Written byBubblyMushroom August 30, 2014

Ehhh

Honestly, this movie is pretty much a waste of your time. The plot is rushed and not very realistic. Not to mention the zombies are more like real people than the undead. The problem is resolved way, too quickly. This movie is pretty violent and does contain some language, but is overall not inappropriate for kids around 11. Even so, I wouldn't bother.
Parent of a 3 year old Written bygerbowski November 20, 2013

World War Z

It's a bummer that this movie isn't more like the book that it's supposed to be based on. The book is really good, I highly recommend it. The movie could have been so much better, but unfortunately its just another zombie action flick.