Parent reviews for X-Men: Apocalypse

Superhero-size violence, fab effects in '80s-set threequel.

Parent Written bymatchiam May 27, 2016

Story: Punching is the answer; FX - mindblowing, fanboy level 9 1/2

As a parent of a 7 year old, one of the biggest goals of watching movies w/the wife, is discussing it's effect on our kid, and what is it's underlying value. This movie is geared towards 17 yr. olds and up. Hearing the small kids & tweens during the movie made me feel uncomfortable. Here's why: the messages behind the movie, that connects the watcher is basically, beat your opponent senseless until they see the light, if you kill a few people who disagree with you, or who have persecuted others, then the moral barometer is in your favor. Does that negate the experience? Well, for me, no. I can experience the film, and be moved by the struggles of the characters, as they find their own way. As a fanboy of all things X-men, I have some minor issues w/the character development that strays from the comics, and the animated series from the 90's- but, appreciate where the movie goes. The production for this film, is beyond amazing- and to say it's mesmerizing is to put it mildly. I'd say, if you've never seen an X-Men film, this could stand on it's own as a great movie w/ people w/supernatural abilities. I would also say that for the X-Men franchise, this movie could be a springboard for the next 15 years.

Adult Written bywerehawk June 3, 2016

Violent gory death of soldiers

Hard to think anyone can take kids younger than 13 to this movie. Punching and fighting and even some death is one thing, but over the top violent series of deaths (in initial scenes and more in the Wolverine scene) is just too much for kids. Nightmare kind of stuff.

Adult Written byStevie111 May 28, 2016

X-Men :Apocalypse is really good, but really violent

The latest X-Men movie is done really well and is really good. That being said, it was one of the most violent PG-13 films I have seen. The violence is over the top and not the most realistic, but it is fairly graphic and intense. The action scenes are done beautifully and most characters are done well. Quicksilver stole the show, but Michael Fassbender as Magneto and James McAvoy as Professor Xavier were also great. If your kids can handle intense and graphic comic book violence, they should be fine. There is some stronger language though. I highly recommend the film.

Adult Written byIanWilli May 28, 2016

Almost nothing inappropriate, but a disappointing film

Xmen Apocalypse continues the xmen saga, with only one f bomb and nothing else. Although its mostly appropriate, it doesn't mean that it's good. It's really the same plot and same thing as all the other Xmen movies. Don't waste your 30$ and just go watch one of the cheaper and better alternatives

Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byHendo H. U January 5, 2018
A bit brutal but otherwise really good. Some nudity

Parent Written bybrendonm June 5, 2016

Ignore the critics! This is about as good as popcorn action/comic book movies get!

We are so spoiled that many critics have labeled this X-Men installment boring and the 'same old- same old'. Well if this is 'same old' then give me more of this quality filmmaking! Bryan Singer and cast and crew did a bang up job with this one! I can't understand why the critics are being so harsh on this flick: the story moves at a good clip with great production values (and CGI that isn't jarring or so bad it pulls you out of the movie). Most importantly, the script by Simon Kinberg packs something into every minute of screentime and the acting is good all around -- James McAvoy (Dr. Charles Xavier) and Michael Fassbender (Erik Lehnsherr / Magneto) especially had the same good chemistry as they did in the last installment as the yin to the other's yang -- their relationship is the key to the film and gives it real dramatic weight (well, as much as is possible in a comic book movie). Oscar Issac as the titular character was also really good. As for family concerns: think this is way too intense for kids under 10. Tweens and above should be fine. Olivia Munn wears a *cough* interesting outfit that she looks particularly attractive in, but nothing worse than Lynda Carter in the old "Wonder Woman" TV show. The movie moves FAST - small plot details maybe lost on any child under 10. As the Common Sense Media review mentions, there's good display of team work, discussing options to deal with an obstacle etc. X-Men are a team after all, so this only logically follows. Overall, really liked this - if you enjoyed "X-Men: Days of Future Past", ignore the critics: this is one entertaining flick for a major studio popcorn film.
Adult Written byJeff123456789 September 8, 2018

X-Men Apocalypse

I think that this movie has very good meaning and positive messages to all families. It is very appropriate to all persons 8 and above. For there is nothing inappropriate except a mutant by the name of Mystique who is shown in her real form which may be disturbing to some. Although, if you have watched all X-Men's or at least the first, there is nothing inappropriate for you. Unless you find men being killed by drowning to the floor disturbing. But i'd recommend to watch it for it is a very well made movie.
Parent of a 9 and 15 year old Written byMeowstiic T. November 23, 2017

Intense; Surprisingly Lesser in Series

A great movie set in the 80's. Rotten tomatoes said this movie could've been better. The story is great. With acting power like Jennifer Lawrence and various other great actors, this movie does better than it would've done if all people saw was the 44% score on the tomatometer.

Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written byJulie St-F June 20, 2016

X-Men: Intensity

I have always really liked X-men, and was excited to see the return of Jean Grey. If you're thinking of taking your family to this film, be aware of a few things (1) It's long (2) The plot moves quickly. Even young kids who won't be knocked out by the intensity might miss plot details, especially after you've hit the 2 hour mark. Movie theaters are an expensive outing if your kid is only going to walk away with half of the story. (3) It was intense. I have an 8 year-old who didn't bat an eyelash, but she is a tough cookie. My 11 year-old was upset, not just by the Wolverine slasher scene, but by one of the scenes with Magneto, and the final show down with En Sabah Nur. While the traditional x-men themes of family by choice, teamwork and power leading to corruption are still there, they were subtle. Even the subplot about Mystique rescuing other mutants from capitivity seems to have been thrown aside so we can all get hyped up for the Big Battle.

Adult Written byVishal KURAKAR October 9, 2016

Well made movie but a movie which ruined the franchise...

This is a good movie when we compare with other movies of this period. But still the fans of this franchise will be disappointed by this movie as it scrambles all timelines in other movies. I had watched HISHE which explains some of its flaws which makes you think whether this movie was necessary...

Parent of a 12 year old Written byJswurd June 22, 2016

Best of all the X-Men's has violence

There's not too much bad stud in this movie, there is one use of f--k that is surprising and you don't see it coming. There's lots of destruction, one scene wolverine literally rips people apart. Most of it is off screen though. But you still see splatters of blood and clawed up faces. Thi is a great movie and I recommend it to young teens and older.

Adult Written byAllieee June 3, 2016

Very very good!

One of the best movies I've ever seen! It does have some pretty intense scenes . Parents might want to cover their children's eyes during the scene where Angel transforms into Archangel because it is pretty violent- his bones stick out of his skin. But the scene is pretty quick . Overall the movie is great. Great storyline, great characters.

Adult Written byChristianmomma May 26, 2016

A little violent

It's not as bad as the past X-men movies. Significantly less questionable content. It did have on f-bomb, and that was the only issue. If your kids don't struggle with swearing, don't worry about taking them to see it!