All parent member reviews for Yellow Submarine

Educator and Parent of a 10 year old Written bywillowfaierie January 10, 2010

This song is not bad

Lucy in the Sky is not about drugs, it's about McCartney's love interest, who died 2008.
Adult Written byKaterz April 9, 2008

Unexpected kid favorite!

Who knew this rather bizarre, Peter-Max inspired cartoon would grab the attention of my 4-year-old?!? I was delighted when he took an interest in this movie, which is great fun for grown-ups, too. There are a couple scenes that bothered him that we fast-forwarded thru - one where a Frankenstein-type fellow morphs into John, and another where a lady is screaming. But no real peril or danger here, Mates.
Adult Written byTDSplays December 28, 2015

A very imaginative movie that's great for kids!

Yellow Submarine is a masterpiece, and anyone should watch it, Beatles fan or not. There is some mild violence, since the Blue Meanies take over Pepperland and freeze the population. Overall, there aren't a lot of positive messages, but there aren't a lot of negative ones, either. This movie may get your kids involved with the Beatles, so there's a bit of consumerism, but not much. There's also a few seconds of drug use. To distract a monster, the submarine fires a cigar into its mouth, and lights it. The monster then smiles. I'd say this is a good movie for kids 7+, for the fantasy violence, brief drug use, and consumerism.
Adult Written byapplebutter December 7, 2012

The Most Imaginative Movie

One of my favorites. This is a strange movie, no doubt about it. The animation is colorful and psychedelic. Things that happen in this movie could only happen in an alternate dimension or a long dream. The basic premise of the movie has peaceful, beautiful Pepperland under attack by curious blue creatures called Blue Meanies who hate beauty, music, and happiness. They "bonk" people with green apples and turn them to stone. Young Fred (actually a middle-aged guy) takes the fabled Yellow Submarine, a sort of ark that brought his ancestors to Pepperland, and travels through strange lands until he reaches London. There he meets Ringo, bored in a polluted gray city. Ringo convinces his three friends who live with him in a fabulous museum to help. They travel back, meeting strange creatures and picking up Jeremy (The Nowhere Man) along the way. When they reach Pepperland, they conquer the blue meanies with music, poetry, and love. There are many Beatles songs, including the title song, "When I'm 64," "All You Need is Love," "Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band," and more. Young kids may be disturbed by some of the strange images.
Parent Written byNanci G May 2, 2012

A Perennial for the Whole Family

I have introduced a couple of generations to this movie now with great success. My grandnephew was 3 the first time he saw it, and still enjoys it now at age 9. One need not be a huge Beatles fan to agree that it's great to expose kids to this flim's positive message and classic music. I was at a day care center recently and asked the children if they know who the Beatles are, and half the children did. They had seen "Yellow Submarine", and could even pick a favorite Beatle. THAT's raising 'em right.
Parent of a 5 and 11 year old Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

Charming and wacky

60s movies are just paced differently. No marketing ploys. Slower unfolding of the plot. More simple animation. This is a beloved movie at our house. My 8 and 3 year olds marvelled at the psychadelic happenings of this film, and some of the lines becames jokes in our family for a while. And this was the beginning of Beatlemania in our house for quite a while.
Adult Written byMovieLover4Lyfe June 2, 2010
Who doesn't love The Beatles? This classic will resonate with children and adults alike! No marketing, no cursing, no sexual reference, perfect for children!
Adult Written byWolfemama April 9, 2008

Honored To Have My Kids Watch

What a treat! I have a 6 & 8 year old running around my house singing "All you need is LOVE". I grew up watching this with my Dad...and now the next generation is enjoying it. SpongeBob is more worrisome and disturbing. No drug or drinking referances that any kid below the age of 30 would get..LOL.... Let you child enjoy the annimation and music...Thank you Beatles...We love you.... "
Parent of a 6, 14, and 16 year old Written byboysohboys August 12, 2010

My 6 yo loved it!

My son and nephew saw this for the first time recently. They are both 6 and they absolutely loved it. Lots of great music and an occasional social message put through, though very subtly. The animation is psychedelic and there might be a veiled drug reference here and there, but it is so obscure most kids won't even notice. They'll just have fun. As for the adults....it can be slow in places, but if you pay attention to it, there are really quite a few funny/punny lines. Overall, I think it's a great pick for kids of almost any age. My 6 yo is now a bona fide Beatles fan -- he can't get enough of the music! :)
Parent Written bymbmartin874 September 29, 2014

"Classic" definitely of it's time - and therefore not totally preschooler-friendly

This film is definitely a time capsule from 1968, which is to say that it is very psychedelic. Yes, it's animated and to some amazing Beatles tunes, but by children's programming standards today it's a little slow and rather weird. The CSM review overplays it's family friendliness. The blue meanies, who appear very early on, are pretty menacing. We watched this film with kids aged 4, 6, and 11, and none of them were clambering for a repeat viewing afterwards. I have a feeling the only people who'd brand this a "family classic" are baby boomers with strong cultural attachments to 1968 who haven't watched this through a child's eye recently.