Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Your Highness

Ridiculous fantasy comedy is more crass, violent than funny.

Parent of a 12 year old Written bycolten97 May 12, 2011
Big budgets and costumes in service of scatalogical jokes may seem funny on paper, but in execution this is a highly monotonous romp that registers only occasional laughs.

Adult Written bykhan2705 May 29, 2011

very vulgar jokes with few laughs and action.

Throughout history, tales of chivalry have burnished the legends of brave, handsome knights who rescue fair damsels, slay dragons and conquer evil. But behind many a hero is a good-for-nothing younger brother trying just to stay out of the way of those dragons, evil and trouble in general. Danny McBride and James Franco team up for an epic comedy adventure set in a fantastical world--Your Highness. As two princes on a daring mission to save their land, they must rescue the heir apparent's fiancée before their kingdom is destroyed. Thadeous (McBride) has spent his life watching his perfect older brother Fabious (Franco) embark upon valiant journeys and win the hearts of his people. Tired of being passed over for adventure, adoration and the throne, he's settled for a life of wizard's weed, hard booze and easy maidens. But when Fabious' bride-to-be, Belladonna (Zooey Deschanel), gets kidnapped by the evil wizard Leezar (Justin Theroux), the king gives his deadbeat son an ultimatum: Man up and help rescue her or get cut off. Half-assedly embarking upon his first quest, Thadeous joins Fabious to trek across the perilous outlands and free the princess. Joined by Isabel (Natalie Portman)--an elusive warrior with a dangerous agenda of her own--the brothers must vanquish horrific creatures and traitorous knights before they can reach Belladonna. If Thadeous can find his inner hero, he can help his brother prevent the destruction of his land. Stay a slacker, and not only does he die a coward, he gets front row seats to the dawn of an all-new Dark Ages. i knew exactly how this movie will turn out, Critics gave it very bad reviews. it isn't the best R rated comedy you will ever see honestly but it still has few laughs and some minor entertainment value but unlike me if you are into adult silly comedies with lots and lots of vulgarity and vulgar jokes than this one is for you. this movie has this very fantasy adventure and those prince who saves princess from evil feel to it but they made it R rated loud silly comedy making it a very different movie, i like the idea but still movie is not that good. i was to some extent entertained but not overall. Screenplay of this movie is below average and it has some dull and many empty places and it doesn't maintains the enjoyable adventurous comic feel of it. and as the movie goes on it feels flat. story is okay but not told that well. plot is average. this movie stars James Franco as the masculine brave prince and his brother is a very lazy fat staying inside caring nothing for the battles and all kind of prince played by Danny Mcbride. other actors are Rasmus Hardiker, Natalie Portman, Justin Theroux , Toby Jones , Zooey Deschanel , Charles Dance and others. Natalie is a fearless warrior they meet on their journey but she isn't in the movie that much, which shocked me. she is okay and looks good in her character. comic timings of Danny McBride feels flat in this movie and there isn't a good performance from anyone. characters aren't written or shown well. action is good some pretty average old style special effects. art direction, cinematography and costumes are good. movie has some cool action fighting sequences that you will like but not anything else, i did entertained me a little bit for which i will thanks it but it isn't a good movie. Recommended to the fans but not to others.

Adult Written byJulia from Sweden November 17, 2011

Weird, very weird. Occasionally funny.

Occasionally funny, but unless you want so see (or hear) good actors make fools of themselves (and sever penises) this is not for you. American pie meets monty python. I thought Portman had a reputation to think about? Danny McBride, Natalie Portman, James Franco, Charles Shaughnessy.

Adult Written bybill colins August 22, 2011

monotonous is an understatement

What crap. Only the youngest and most childish will find humour among the gags. Opps, did he say my head looks like a [email protected]?.hahaha. A very tired script see for poor performances from the cast. An oversized cod peice (oldie but a goodie) baudy maids and how cool is this wizard's weed man. I dont think I laughed loud once though the inner child in me held out for a good fart joke but alas it twernt to be. Save your brain cells and your cash on this one.

Adult Written byHollie R. August 12, 2017

Rape TW and terrible accents

I really like these actors but this was really poor. Full of pointless swearing, the accents were so bad which made it hard to watch. The story was ok, as was theviolence, I was disappointed at the way they nonchalantly dealt with rape. There's a big final 'showdown' where it seems like someone is being raped and is tied down and forced by a spell to essentially 'want it', (I think it turned out she wasnt but it was hard to tell), this isn't a good message for kids and pretty horrible for people who have been sexually assaulted. That whole thing just ruined the film completely.