Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Your Name

Stunning but mature animated body-swapping love story.

Parent of a 13 year old Written byteejtee April 20, 2017

Instant classic!

Instantly made it into my top 10 movies ever (not just anime). My 13 year old son and I are big Miyazaki fans and this is up there with the best of them. We both loved it. Beautiful animation. Magical story. The body swapping is the hook, and we both laughed out loud at the inevitable gags related to finding oneself in the opposite gender. All done in good taste. But the real story was the juxtaposition of two different worlds, the characters coming to appreciate each other's perspective, and those magical times when you feel a connection that somehow transcends the ordinary rules of time and space. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Adult Written byMel B. September 12, 2017

Beautifully animated classic story

I went to this in the theater, late in the evening. Interestingly most of the audience was guys in their 20's - 30's. I thought "what have a gotten myself into?" but nothing too adult ever came. It was just so beautiful that I assume now they are fans of the animators. I think it would hold the attention of kids 10+ who could follow the story and enjoy the emotional ride.
Adult Written bycocoa878 November 21, 2018

Best movie I've seen in ages!

Let your kids have fun and choose a wild range of movies. This movie brought a tear to our family's eyes.

Parent of a 5, 7, and 11 year old Written byJessalynne W. August 28, 2018

My daughter’s favorite movie!

This movie instantly went into my daughter’s favorite movie, not just anime. My 11 year old daughter LOVES anime and she begged me to see this so we saw it. However, my 5 and 7 year old daughters hated it. My oldest daughter loved it. WARNING TO PARENTS: there is language, sex and violence. Otherwise I think this movie would be fine for kids 11 and up.

Parent of a 5, 5, 8, and 12 year old Written byJulie G. August 25, 2018

My oldest said this was the best movie ever!

I took my 12 year old to see this movie, and she loved it! However, if you want to take a child under 12 to see Your Name, I suggest reconsidering, because there is a scene where a guy touches a girl’s boobs, and the girl and guy are in bed together. Also, they almost say “bitch” but it doesn’t get finished, and words like “shut up” ,“weird”, “pervert”, and “boobies”. Overall great movie, but you should only take kids that are age 12 and up.

Parent of a 9 year old Written byStephanie P. August 12, 2018

9 year old liked, WARNING SEX LANGUAGE AND VIOLENCE

My 9 year old is more on the mature side so I saw this with her, it was a great movie but warning girl falls off a bike and the bike falls into a ditch boy is in bed with girl and touches her boobs and also they almost said “bitch”, but it didn’t get finished, and also “ shut up”, and “weird”. Overall great movie, but only for 13 and up.

Parent Written byRobyn P. July 21, 2018

Anime at it's best, but not for the very young

This movie is really incredible. The plot is a little hard to follow for kids under 10. No spoilers here, but it's pretty complicated. Warning for parents, when the boy character switches bodies with the girl character, he is a little obsessed with his new chest. I watched this with my 8 year old who LOVES anime, since it was PG... but it's really more like a PG-13 (or at least PG-10 if that existed!) The plot was complicated for him to get on his own, but with the pause button to help explain what was going on, he LOVED the movie. HE thought the body switch stuff was hilarious BTW.

Parent of a 2 year old Written byGreta Delaland July 15, 2018

Home, yes, classroom, NOPE.

There is a scene where self-boob grabbing happens and an under 15 is in her underwear. At home, this scene is suitable and hysterical. It was so un-consequential that I forgot about it... which was a problem when I showed it in the middle of a school library.

Parent Written byJohn K. June 17, 2018

Beautiful Anime

Right up their with Hayao Miyazaki in terms of quality. This is a more mature film, best for teenagers and older. The film involves a somewhat comedic body swap between two characters (a teenage boy and teenage girl) that have never met. The animation in amazing. The story is layered and engaging as well as emotionally satisfying.
Parent of a 15 year old Written bydblatner February 5, 2018

Like a Ghibli movie for teens

My younger son (14) loved it. My older son (almost 16) hated it so much that he took the time to create a new account here to give it a bad review. I thought it was quite good, a lot like Miyazaki movies we've seen over the years, but more mature. The reason my older boy didn't like it is that it is confusing… it is! There's a mystery and, like so many Japanese movies, it's often ambiguous and supernatural. But if you just go with it, it's lovely.

Adult Written byIsabeldancing April 9, 2017

Good Movie

I watched it English subbed and it's very good, Waring for parents when they do swap bodies they touch there breasts and takes the clothes off(but doesn't show any nudity) and the other touchs the boy private part, so watch with kids, but very good romance/ sci-fi story totally recommended it for order tweens and teenagers