All parent member reviews for You've Got Mail

Adult Written bylorif April 9, 2008

A Must See!

Meg and Tom are wonderful in this. No bad language and Meg is a stitch! Definantely a must see!
Adult Written byMovieLover4Lyfe June 2, 2010
I love this movie! Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks shine together on the scree. In an age where computers and technology are very much present, this love story is one of getting to know someone through this technology in a way that you might not in real life.
Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written bykpjarowberry February 12, 2009

One of my faves, but NOT for kids.

I LOVE this movie, and the on-screen chemistry between Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan never fails to please. However, if you are the type of parent who teaches your children to value the sanctity of marriage, skip this one. I would not recommend this a movie for anyone under the age of 14. While there are no nudity or "bedroom" scenes, there are, as the main review mentions, plenty of inappropriate relationships, not to mention some very strong language. While I realize that my 9 & 12 year olds are probably exposed to some of this in the real world, I believe that we, as parents, need to realize that we send a message of approval to our children when we bring media into our homes. Just because it is out there, and others may be allowing their children to watch, doesn't mean that we should lower our standards and follow suit. Home should be a haven from the "noises" of the world. There are plenty of other choices for the younger set.
Educator and Parent Written byCommonSenseChristian January 1, 2013

Good, but Don't Let Your Kids Check this Mailbox

First of all, yes, this movie is sweet, and clean for its day. For a bookworm like myself, the romance between mom-and-pop bookshop owner Kathleen and major chain magnate Joe is irresistible. That being said, don't let your kids watch. Both protagonists have live-in lovers, which is morally ambiguous at best, and just plain wrong for some families, particularly those of the Judeo-Christian persuasion. The inherent dangers of online dating are also not discussed (Joe says a couple things, but they're played for laughs). Your teens may get romanticized ideas from this film. Before you let anyone under 17 watch, make sure they have a healthy relationship with the World Wide Web.
Parent of an infant year old Written bystrawberryummies February 16, 2013

Worse than the cliche "princess syndrome" for young girls.

I found this movie incredibly victimizing of the female protagonist. "Love conquers all?" Is that the message we want to send to our daughters when the man they're in love with is single-handedly destroying their dreams and squashing a company that they worked so hard to maintain under his big corporate boot? Or to our sons, who cares if you're in love with her. Money is the only thing that matters, so destroy her modest business that keeps her life afloat so you can get that promotion at work! She can always be a stay-at-home mom and live on your six-figure salary. If you're seriously considering showing this to your kids, make sure they're old enough to recognize the moral dilemmas within this movie and take them at face value.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byTsion January 19, 2009

A Witty and Light-Hearted Family Comedy!

YOU'VE GOT MAIL is from the same creators, actors, and director as SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE. The differences being: in this one there's internet instead of a call-in-radio show, Hanks's son is replaced by Hanks's dog, and the characters meet before the very end. Saying that, it succeeds everywhere that SLEEPLESS did. It is just as fun, just as intelligent, just as romantic, and just as family-friendly. Two women briefly mention "cybersex" (not graphic at all). Passing reference is made to Hanks's stepmom "running off with the nanny" (both are women). Language consists of a few "a*s"s, one "hell", and one "b**ch". There is no violence or drugs. Great family comedy. Anyone who can watch SLEEPLESS can watch this.
Adult Written byRachaelEmanuelle April 9, 2008
Adult Written byBeckstar October 29, 2011

Fine

Ok film, a great romance film. Sexual themes are extremely mild. I would let my 13 year old watch if I had a kid
Adult Written bypaigeturner89 April 9, 2008
Adult Written bycddeloach April 9, 2008

Way off

Since when does Goliath winning make for a good romantic comedy? I came away from this movie angry. I didn't like Tom Hanks self-absorbed character and I didn't want Meg Ryan's to fall for him.
Adult Written byMovieLover101 April 9, 2008

Sweet.

This movie was a lovely little tale, as Tom Hanks as a brilliant (as always) leading man and Meg Ryan suprisinly good. A family or a girls-night-in movie.