Parent reviews for A Series of Unfortunate Events

A Series of Unfortunate Events Poster Image

Sneakily Inappropriate

Though the constant play on words is fun, they slip in much adult content and gestures. I'm disappointed they felt the need to do that and make it undesirable to share with kids. Examples: - Motioning zipping up pants for abstinence. - Something about not "disturbing a married couple and a man turning tricks." - Comments about bananas and penetration. - Many comments and scenes with cross dressing and being gender-questionable. - Trying to bribe or distract with sexual advances and innuendo. - Slurring words and acronyms to say things like "F U" without coming right out and saying it. - Drinking and getting drunk, drugging people, suggestions to kill oneself (by noose in a jail cell). The list goes on.... I can't believe not a single person mentioned these things in the ratings, so that the main page says sexual content, violence, smoking drugs, etc, are "not present."

8 people found this helpful.

Hollywood should have more respect for morals and character.

This show is completely inappropriate. Common Sense media indicated it was appropriate for young children, but the innuendo and inappropriateness about child sexual abuse is unsettling as a parent. For Neil Patrick Harris to say, “I’ll touch whatever I want” while rubbing a young girl’s shoulder (among many other completely inappropriate elements such as alcohol, drug use, suicide) is sickening.
7 people found this helpful.

Racist undertones

I watched all 3 seasons and I think this has too many racist undertones. Stereotypes & depicts blacks as ignorant. It left me wondering where did the writers grow up and who raised them! This is not the type of show I want my children exposed to!

1 person found this helpful.

Way too dark for little ones

I grew up loving this book series. I was 7 when I read them, and looking back on it I was too young to. This series should have never been rated PG imo. It literally has murder, sexual content and a lot of dark stuff. The books are great and the series as a whole is amazing but it’s not for kids

1 person found this helpful.

The positive role models

It is fantastic. If ur kid wants to watch a show which is dark, fun, has a great storyline and amazing actors... This is is one!!! Around 2 years ago i sat down with my kid to watch this having the tv remote in my hand ready to skip but i was quite assured that there was no iffy scene or anything that parents should be concerned about. It's a great story and and has amazing role models in it too who give to message to never give up, be truthful and honest and honestly that in a show is a parents dream. Plus i got invested in this show myself as an adult. It's incredible

Uniquely dark but thoroughly enjoyable

This series is not only unfortunate, but unexpected. In a world of saccharine children's programming, this is brilliantly subversive and just the right amount of dark. There is death of major characters throughout (but its not graphic) and the themes are more challenging. My eight and ten year old have loved it, and I've loved watching it with them. It absolutely isn't for *all* eight year olds, or even all ten year olds, but more mature children, who are fans of things like Nightmare before Christmas, which is similarly slightly dark. It has given some good talking points about the change from the black and white morality of small children to the slightly hazier morality as the characters grow up. If your kids are comfortable with a range of emotions and the slightly darker themes, this is a great series.

It is for older kids!

This is for kids 14 and up only because there is dark humor and such. I think all the other reviews are a bit extreme and bogus.. I really think kids shouldn't watch this though because Mr Poe and his Wife isn't an ideal people to watch. They are rude and uptight, they don't listen and it will teach kids that that's OK.

Totally Fantastic

Brilliantly imaginative and creative. This series does justice to the terrific book set. Can't recommend highly enough

Very funny, not violent!

Definitely no blood or gory deaths, a few deaths, though, and Count Olaf gets away. Poe is definitely annoying, always letting Olaf get away. It is really funny because of the descuises (from a Italian man with a beard to a woman in pink to a detective with slang). Great role modals in the tree Baudilares. Olaf does drink, and Esme wears reaveling outfits when she shows up. But no language.

Somewhat dark, but good for families.

Unless your child isn't good with darker TV shows this is a great family show. There is the occasional innuendo, but they are all quick, and barely noticeable. There is some violence but nothing bad. The villain, Count Olaf sometimes will say "hell" or "damn" but, nothing more. There is a tad of drinking, too. There are a couple of scary moments like when, Count Olaf, set up a plan to scare a hospital receptionist, before kidnapping her. There is also an episode where Count Olaf tries to marry Violet, who is 14, but it is in no way pedophilic, as he's doing it to acquire her fortune But overall, this show has great role models, the three main characters, Violet, Klaus and Sunny, all try to do the right thing. The show often has the narrator, Lemony Snicket, defining words or phrases. It tells a good story, and is hilarious, especially if you like dark humor. Overall, unless your kid is a bit sensitive to this kind of thing, your good to go.