Parent reviews for American Dragon: Jake Long

Descendant of dragons fights dark magic in NYC.

Adult Written byMrWiseGuy July 12, 2018

Greatest Cartoon Series Ever!

This show really moved me when I watched it. Especially the plot between Jake and Rose. They really teach the meaning of true love, and really show that anything is possible. I watched it again 3 days ago, and man, did it bring back some really good memories and nostalgia! But be warned, if you get attached to the characters, you will suffer heart-ache like I did!

Adult Written byAl Jackson April 26, 2012

Why does this cartoon get 2 stars?!

This show is SO funny! It also has great animation!
Adult Written bycartooncarro December 4, 2011

First&Second seasons are like two differents shows

I adore this show. I'm 17, watched it when I was younger but stopped 'cuz of the season two art change. Randomly got back into it, and I cannot stop. If you're looking for something cute and funny, go with first season episodes. If you want a captivating plot where you need to watch the episodes in order to understand, go for season two (it also has little funny episodes, though :P). Um, no, this show is not racist haha omg these people. Trixie is black, and talks with slang. Jake is asian, and talks with slang. It's not because Trixie's black, it's just because of the area they've grown up in. It has nothing to do with race. Stop being over-sensitive.

-------First season - focused more on the funny, Jake and Trixie used a lot of slang which some parents wouldn't like. Jake's a lot more arrogant in this season and not really focused on anything but Rose and impressing other kids. Jake and Rose's situation is a more complex and interesting Romeo & Juliet and I love it :)

--------Second season - Seems like a whole different show. A lot less slang, focused plot, Rose and Jake are more involved. Jake disrespects Grandpa a little less, and there's actually some Chinese culture in this season.

Educational Value
Parent of a 14-year-old Written bysavitar June 25, 2010

Not racist, violent

Wow, just cause one black chick talks slang the show is racialy stereotyping? It has nothing to do with her being black it has to do with where she grew up. And otherwise many of the jokes are stupid tho the dog makes me laugh, might be to violent for younger viewers but it's up to you to decide if your kids are mature enough to handle it.

Parent of a 4-year-old Written byJassy28 December 30, 2009

Horrible, racist show

I have watched quite a few episodes of Jake Long and let me be the first to say that it is RACIST with a capital "r". I don't know why the female friend on the show can't say one word without bobbing her head and giving an attitude, and that goes for most of the African-American characters. Also, as stated before little information is given about his Chinese heritage and his disrespect is unbelievable. I'm so glad that its off the air!
Adult Written byslamanite April 9, 2008

A great show!

This is one of the greatest shows I've ever seen. Some cool fight scenes, and nice animation when Jake Dragons Up. Spud is a perfect dim witted sidekick and Trixie is the perfect person to knock sense into Jake. I enjoy this show.
Adult Written bysakura_blossom April 9, 2008
Adult Written bylol12555 April 9, 2008
Adult Written byasmadro April 9, 2008

Gets old quickly...

The premise of the show seems okay at first. He must learn to deal with a previously unknown part of his family history, in this case that his ancestors are dragons. This show loses its appeal pretty quickly. The Chinese cultural aspects seem over-simplified, foreign accents are fake, adding to the stereotypical feel of the characters. There is a lot of "potty humor" and Jake is often disrespectful to adults.
Adult Written byDexterSmith April 9, 2008

American Dragon: Jake Long

Sexual Content (Pause): Some innuendo and flirting.
Violence (Pause): A dragon's duty is to beat up the bad guys.
Language (Not an Issue): None.
Social Behavior (Pause): Jake has a somewhat bad attitude towards his grandfather. Some racial stereotypes.
Commercialism (Not an Issue): None.
Drug/Alcohol/Tobacco (Not an Issue): None.