All parent member reviews for America's Funniest Home Videos

Parent Written bymommajo4 July 24, 2011

Emotional child abuse

Very degrading, especially one where a happy toddler was the butt of a joke having to do with the pronunciation of the planet Uranus, and when the family was awarded the top prize, she sat on her mother's lap with the saddest face I have ever seen. Where is the prize in crushing a child's spirit?
Parent Written bytreat02 March 23, 2012

This is terrible. i mean, people are constanly getting hurt. It's quite disturbing! Honestly i avoid this on TV, parents out there, please don't let you're kid watch this, very bad. I think this encourages kids to do different violent things to get onto television, and is that what all of us want? We already have mass shootings and people getting hurt because they want fame or popularity. This certainly is a DANGER to adults and kids and I will not EVER except it for ANYONE.
Parent Written byclifton14 August 7, 2011

This show should be banned!! When it is ever funny to watch people, especially children, get hurt and humiliated?? It's excessive violence and it's overwhelming popularity is right in line with the increase in violence we see everyday on the news!! This is NOT funny!! And children should not be programmed into believing that humor is found in such humiliating and hurtful situations. TERRIBLE SHOW
Adult Written bythescreenname November 22, 2008

really funny

i just dont like it when it REALLY hurts the other people
Adult Written byMr_Ippleswitch August 22, 2010

Are gladiators next?

On AFV, I just switched channels and saw a man getting hit solidly in the forehead by a woman swinging a baseball bat as hard as she could. The man fell to the ground and was out cold. No one watching the show ever knows if he died or ever recovered from this horrendous accident. Are we, as viewers so jaded and insensitive that watching people get seriously hurt is now considered entertainment? I have enjoyed the funny clips, but strongly object to the ones where people get seriously hurt.
Parent of a 2 year old Written byKate.k March 17, 2010

Too cruel

Making fun of kids getting hurt, especially babies? Mistreatment of animals is not funny either.
Parent of a 17 year old Written bylove2 September 28, 2009

a bad and CRUEL show.

i used to love this show but now i think it's awful and cruel. People shouldent put humilating videos on tv and then laugh! That's cruel! and whats even crueler is when people get hert in the videos they still laugh! Does that Tom guy ever stop and think how that would make the person feel? No he dosent!!!!!!!!! A very bad show with very bad rolemodels. A show that is bad for anyone to see!
Parent of an infant, 6, and 10 year old Written byCritically Crazy August 26, 2012

America's Funniest Home Videos have to be rigged. I just watched an episode, and there were in fact a lot of really funny videos! BUT, the videos that were in the top 3, and won, were TERRIBLE. No humor in them at all. A dog peeing? Someone slipping on ice? What? You've never seen a dog pee? Granted, it was a talented urination, but not funny in the least. This is America's Funniest Home Videos, not Americas Got Talent. This show has definitely gone down the tubes since Bob left.
Adult Written byJEDI micah May 29, 2012

I grew up watching this show, and it still appeals to me! I like to see people, and even animals do stupid things! Most of the nudity and language are blocked out, so there's not much to worry. I love this show, and I also like the host. He's very funny!
Parent of a 12 year old Written byeelee May 14, 2011

Great show for (almost) all ages.

Really funny and cool show. The role models can be negative, as younger kikds may be inspired to do the funny stuff on there. Overall, if you understand this isn't people PURPOSELY (usually) trying to hurt each other, this is a fun show to watch.
Adult Written byFreedomFromCens... August 18, 2009

Best family show ever!

Great family show for laughs and fun. I can remember always waiting for this to be on when I was little, was one of my favorite shows. Most "violence" is comedic and in good nature, nudity is obviously blocked. This is what our family would always watch (and still do sometimes) during dinner and lunch!
Adult Written byThe JP Show June 2, 2009

Now Let's review this

Rating:TV-PG M(IFFY)The show is played just for laughs V(IFFY)Lots of comedimic Pratfalls S(IFFY)Nudity is censored with a black censor bar L(IFFY)Language is bleeped out. Now Parents, I know what you're thinking. This show should be TV-MA because of nude,Right.Wrong. This is a Family show and that's why it's TV-PG.
Adult Written byDarth Yoda April 9, 2008

Okay for children 8+

It's really not that bad, there's no sex, no language, and the violence is mostly slapstick. There's no more violence here than in Looney Tunes.
Adult Written byLowe's man February 19, 2015

Exploitive and borders on unethical.

I will admit to not having seen a whole episode since the early 90s, and even then I only watched it a few times. However, I have seen parts of it over the years. While the whole premise borders on unethical in that videos are made of other people without their permission, at least Bob Saget only showed the videos that were in good taste. Ever since Bob Saget left that hasn't been the case anymore. From what I understand, some of those videos are completely inappropriate in that they're exploitive. Viewers are taught to find humor in things that not only aren't funny, but are (or should be seen as) tragic or upsetting. In the late 90s ABC cancelled this show at least twice, then brought it back. Why couldn't ABC just cancel the show once and for all? And another thing. Why couldn't Conrad Bain (Mr. Drummond on DIFF'RENT STROKES) host the show? If he would've hosted it only harmless videos would've been shown. Bob Saget was good and kept the videos harmless and wholesome, but Conrad Bain would've even gone a little further in that direction.
Parent Written bycindy.1980 October 21, 2012

They should exclude video of real injuries.

There is no explicit "no people or animals were hurt in these videos" statement, and since the videos often cut just after the baby's head hits the floor, or the puppy slams into a wall, we are left to laugh - regardless of whether anyone was hurt. This is a terrible lesson to teach children and the country as a whole - other's misfortune and pain is your entertainment. I would only recomend this for children if AFG stuck to amusing animals and slapstick harmless humor or IF they would confirm that people & animals suffered no serious injury, so you could laugh knowing you did not just witness a real life head or spine injury. As it is, i would not want to teach my children that laughing when someone is injured, is appropriate.
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy October 16, 2012

Ignore CSM.

Looks like CSM knows nothing about humor! I always laugh when I see people getting hurt on this show.It's like a comedy of errors.
Adult Written byAl Jackson April 14, 2012

This is one of the funniest shows of ALL TIME! The videos and acting are REALLY good!
Parent of a 3 year old Written bywilliams February 28, 2010
Just hate when they show kids getting hurt....that is so not funny! shame on them for even televising those clips.
Parent Written byPlague January 26, 2010

Americas Funniest Home Videos

Its a vert addicting TV show, but it does get old after a while.
Adult Written byLizPVa April 9, 2008